Author Topic: CES 2019  (Read 6531 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CES 2019
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 04:13:34 PM »
Just got done watching Samsungís CES briefing... They didnít reveal much.  When will we know all the good details about their entire tv lineup?

I decided to skip the presser in favor of visiting coolermaster and zotac (where I am now). My private meeting with samsung on Wednesday should reveal much more than the press conference. Stay tuned!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2019, 02:06:11 AM »
Check out TBG's YouTube coverage of HP's uber-premium $5,000 65" 4K Gaming Display here.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 03:17:31 AM »
Ugh, the built in soundbar is a deal-breaker for me. Anyone who has this kind of money already has a home theater. I don't want or need the extra weight or cost it incurs.

Do you think there will be a BFGD with no soundabar from other companies?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 07:38:35 AM »
Ugh, the built in soundbar is a deal-breaker for me. Anyone who has this kind of money already has a home theater. I don't want or need the extra weight or cost it incurs.

Do you think there will be a BFGD with no soundabar from other companies?

First of all, don't worry - it can be detached! In fact, during the demo, it's just sitting on the table under the TV, although it does include a bracket to wall mount it under the TV. Also, I specifically challenged the HP product lead on this, asking whether this was "thrown in" to justify hitting the $5,000 price, and she said that in their consumer studies, the majority of users said they wanted the sound bar included, and that in reality it didn't add much to the cost (on the order of $100). The only thing that I'm a little worried about is that they didn't survey the right consumers, because I agree that anyone with $5,000 to spend on a "TV" (that's not a TV, by the way, since it has no tuner), also has a high-end AV setup.

Anyway, so far, no one else has announced a BFGD, and even if they do, don't expect them to come in under $5,000 even without a soundbar.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 10:53:25 AM »
Just got done watching Samsungís CES briefing... They didnít reveal much.  When will we know all the good details about their entire tv lineup?

I decided to skip the presser in favor of visiting coolermaster and zotac (where I am now). My private meeting with samsung on Wednesday should reveal much more than the press conference. Stay tuned!

What time Wednesday is your private meeting with Samsung?  And as far as the HO BFGD, I think itís aweome that itís out there for someone to buy now.  Itís really cool.  But Iím going to have my main big ďtvĒ and until Iím older with a lot more money and can justify it, I donít see myself getting this because it would be painful surfing the web or doing work related tasks on a monitor that big.  Therefore it would be JUST for gaming basically.  Which means Iíd have a stupid awesome PC only used for gaming which also isnít cost effective.  I still think the perfect seeet spot is around 40Ē but Iím honestly not sure. 

Have you found out anything about new cases/SSDís etc?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 11:00:35 AM »
Agreed on pricepoint of HP's BFGD. I specifically asked if they expected it to be used as a desktop monitor, and they said no. But I'm concerned that anyone with a PC worthy pairing with this monitor simply isn't going to have it in the living room.

And cases/PSUs? Definitely! Here's my coolermaster coverage: https://youtu.be/GFFuigsn4Zo

At thermaltake now, already visited phanteks, and will hit corsair this afternoon and silverstone tomorrow. More videos coming soon!

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 01:00:40 PM »
Ah, hm...IGN had reported making it seem like it could not be removed.

Hm...I am DEFINITELY the target audience for this, but...

Did you say that there will be other new TVs that support 120Hz? My understanding is that g-synch is just meant to support the ever changing high frame rates of high end gaming PCs...but I'm so used to 30-60 on consoles that if I set my PC to output a consistent 120 and with a tv that can support that I'm sure it would just be smooth as butter to me, no g-synch needed...and probably for less $$$

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 11:53:31 PM »
TekHed - there are a number of 120Hz TVs, but HDMI 2.0 can only transmit 120Hz signals at 1080p, rather than 4K. It will require HDMI 2.1 to support 120Hz at 4K, and not only are there no TVs on the market with this (yet), there also aren't any video cards, and there likely won't be until mid-2020. Therefore, the HP Empirium is the only option at this point, which may on its own justify the $5,000 price.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 12:18:32 AM »
So what is going to happen when I plug my SDM into my LG B7??? I only get 1080p, upscaled by the tv???

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 01:22:40 AM »
So what is going to happen when I plug my SDM into my LG B7??? I only get 1080p, upscaled by the tv???

You'll get 4K at 60Hz via HDMI 2.0.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 01:24:05 AM »
I've put together a landing page on TBG where you can check out videos of all the hottest PC-related product releases at CES 2019. Check it out right here!

More videos to be added over the next few days, all at that link.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 05:25:01 PM »
Anything from the meeting with Samsung today??  I can't find anything!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 05:54:08 PM »

Yes. Will post full article later this week. All 2019 models will have HDMI 2.1, offering parts of the spec important to gamers: 4K, 120Hz, variable refresh rate, and the first AMD Freesync TV on the market. But remember, there's no video cards that will do anything with these specs this year.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 06:26:14 PM »

Yes. Will post full article later this week. All 2019 models will have HDMI 2.1, offering parts of the spec important to gamers: 4K, 120Hz, variable refresh rate, and the first AMD Freesync TV on the market. But remember, there's no video cards that will do anything with these specs this year.

Awesome and good to know.  From the little I could find it seemed all they really talked about was 8K.  Glad to see they are still committed to improving 4K since it's still by far the main medium at the moment.  Looking forward to hearing more.  I use my TV for sports, blu ray's, streaming, Console Gaming which is still pretty important to me and having HDMI 2.1 with my Xbox One X has my pretty excited to try it out.  Not to mention I'm sure Sony's next console in 2019/2020 will support FreeSync as well as all future Xbox Consoles.  Console gaming is about to get a lot better.  Frame rates still won't touch PC for some time I'm sure, but still a great improvement with 2.1.

I look forward to hearing about picture quality improvements to their 4K line. 

I wonder how much their 65' 8K panel will cost compared to the same high end 4K panel.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 06:30:54 PM »
Dang, guess I'll have to upgrade my SDM GPUs next year!