Author Topic: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?  (Read 15086 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?
« Reply #150 on: May 15, 2019, 10:15:33 PM »
Okay, I got the XMP done and changed it to 170% like you said.  So it looks like the 3200 RAM overclock and 5.0ghz CPU overclock has taken place.

Now for overclocking the GPU.  I downloaded MSI Afterburner.  But I don't know what numbers to put in when I'm in there.  What do I overclock it to?  Where do I input the numbers?  Remember I'm a noob in all this lol.

I'll have to see if I can figure out the RGB issue.  If I hit the reset switch it changes all the different lighting modes on the case.  Only problem is it doesn't seem to have an OFF setting. 

Last, I'm noticing when I start up my PC, it looks like AI Suite 3 is booting up every time when I boot the PC up, then I have to right click on it and hit Exit every time.  I looked on apps that start up when PC does and it isn't listed.  How can I get that to stop?

Sounds like you made progress on the CPU and RAM overclocks. You can probably just leave them there from here on out. But the fact that AI Suite is starting up isn't a problem - that's how it's supposed to work. It applies the overclock (if AI Suite has been used to set it in the first place).

In terms of the GPU overclock, I'd probably leave it at the factory overclock for now. If you really want to tinker, you can increase the core clock by 50MHz and the memory clock by 250MHz, and also make sure the raise the power limit to the max. Don't forget to apply the changes to see them take effect, and right click on a profile number to save them to a profile.

And yeah, as for your lights, it sounds like your builder just hooked them up to the case, not the motherboard. If you want to shut them off, you'll need to pull the power plug for them. Should be a SATA power connector somewhere connected to the wires coming from the front fans.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 19, 2019, 04:34:39 PM »
What's a good test to run to benchmark my system to make sure I did all this right?  I had one program I bought on Steam but I don't remember what it was called.

Also, I tried syncing my iPhone to new PC (couldn't do it for the last year or 2 on last build after being able to do it for the previous 9 years) and no such luck again.  I don't know what's going on.  I know last time I talked to you about it you said you're more of an android guy so you didn't really have any advice.  This is a big deal to me and I don't understand what's going wrong.  I have everything backed up to iCloud except some music/photos/video's.  And for whatever reason when I start syncing from photos app, sometimes it doesn't find my iPhone XS Max at all, and other times when it does, it'll start syncing process only to stop moments later "because an error occurred."  After this happens it typically doesn't find the iPhone again unless you unplug it and start process over again, but at this point I have about a full year of photos/video's that haven't been synced and if something happens to my phone those memories are lost forever.  I guess I'll have to contact Apple or Microsoft and see if they can help me figure this out.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 19, 2019, 05:01:45 PM »
What's a good test to run to benchmark my system to make sure I did all this right?  I had one program I bought on Steam but I don't remember what it was called.

Also, I tried syncing my iPhone to new PC (couldn't do it for the last year or 2 on last build after being able to do it for the previous 9 years) and no such luck again.  I don't know what's going on.  I know last time I talked to you about it you said you're more of an android guy so you didn't really have any advice.  This is a big deal to me and I don't understand what's going wrong.  I have everything backed up to iCloud except some music/photos/video's.  And for whatever reason when I start syncing from photos app, sometimes it doesn't find my iPhone XS Max at all, and other times when it does, it'll start syncing process only to stop moments later "because an error occurred."  After this happens it typically doesn't find the iPhone again unless you unplug it and start process over again, but at this point I have about a full year of photos/video's that haven't been synced and if something happens to my phone those memories are lost forever.  I guess I'll have to contact Apple or Microsoft and see if they can help me figure this out.

Most likely the app you bought was 3DMark. See if you can find that on your Steam account. It's not under games, it's under "Software" in the "Library" menu.

I'd recommend you go to the Genius bar at an Apple store if you can, perhaps with a screenshot of what happens when you try to connect. Honestly, connecting smartphones of all types to a PC has always been much harder than it should be, and the iPhone is absolutely the worst. Whenever I try to connect iPhones for family members, half the time it doesn't work. My guess is that Apple just doesn't care about the drivers it writes for Windows.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 19, 2019, 05:43:22 PM »

Most likely the app you bought was 3DMark. See if you can find that on your Steam account. It's not under games, it's under "Software" in the "Library" menu.

I'd recommend you go to the Genius bar at an Apple store if you can, perhaps with a screenshot of what happens when you try to connect. Honestly, connecting smartphones of all types to a PC has always been much harder than it should be, and the iPhone is absolutely the worst. Whenever I try to connect iPhones for family members, half the time it doesn't work. My guess is that Apple just doesn't care about the drivers it writes for Windows.

Yep it was 3DMark.  Thanks.  I'll run that benchmark tonight.

And I agree with you as far as Apple goes.  I think they'd rather everyone just back everything up to iCloud for obvious reasons and I don't mind using the service to 95% of things.  But I have too many photos/video's currently on my PC since 2005-2007 all the way to current and I don't want to back ALL that up to iCloud.  I bought a big 4TB SSD so that I could back it up to my PC.  Hopefully they'll help me figure it out.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2019, 11:57:49 PM »
My PC freezes once a night.  Every odd once in a while twice.  No error message 90% of the time.  Just totally freezes to where I have to hold down the power button on the case until it completely shuts off, then have to turn it back on.  What could be causing this?  Only seems to happen when playing games but it may have happened when I'm not.  I'm not completely sure.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2019, 06:58:37 AM »
My PC freezes once a night.  Every odd once in a while twice.  No error message 90% of the time.  Just totally freezes to where I have to hold down the power button on the case until it completely shuts off, then have to turn it back on.  What could be causing this?  Only seems to happen when playing games but it may have happened when I'm not.  I'm not completely sure.

Remove the overclock.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 21, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »
From everything or just CPU?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: May 21, 2019, 02:34:57 PM »

Since it's during gaming, remove overclock of CPU and GPU. Then game for a while to see if that ends crashing. Next try a smaller overclock on the GPU. The hardest thing to do is CPU. Let's leave that alone for a while.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2019, 03:11:08 PM »

Since it's during gaming, remove overclock of CPU and GPU. Then game for a while to see if that ends crashing. Next try a smaller overclock on the GPU. The hardest thing to do is CPU. Let's leave that alone for a while.

Ok will do.  On the CPU do I just remove the XMP profile AND the auto overclock from the software?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 21, 2019, 03:13:01 PM »
Only the auto overclock. The XMP profile is safe. Totally within limits.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: May 21, 2019, 03:33:15 PM »

Sorry to sound retarded, but how do I disable the auto overclock?  I saved my preset for the overclock but not the stock settings so I don't even remember what they were.  Ditto for the graphics card settings.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 21, 2019, 05:04:35 PM »

Sorry to sound retarded, but how do I disable the auto overclock?  I saved my preset for the overclock but not the stock settings so I don't even remember what they were.  Ditto for the graphics card settings.

Just prevent the Asus app from starting up by going into the settings and unchecking startup with Windows. It shows that option if you right-click on the taskbar menu icon. MSI Afterburner has it in the interface settings, but that one you can EASILY reset just by moving the sliders back to zero and clicking apply.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 21, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »

Just prevent the Asus app from starting up by going into the settings and unchecking startup with Windows. It shows that option if you right-click on the taskbar menu icon. MSI Afterburner has it in the interface settings, but that one you can EASILY reset just by moving the sliders back to zero and clicking apply.

I got the GPU back to stock.  On AI Suite 3, it just had the icon showing up typically when I restart my PC it's never actually in the taskbar.  And when I go to start up functions it isn't listed to where I can select it and tell it to do anything?  Confused lol.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2019, 07:13:17 AM »
If you can't find the option to stop AISuite from starting, just uninstall it for now.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 25, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »
Is there a way to change the default save location on Nvidia Shadowplay?  I record my gameplay clips but they are currently being saved to my 1TB NVMe 970 and I'd like for them to end up the 4TB 860.  I've tried myself but it won't let me change it.  Wondering if I'm missing something.