Author Topic: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?  (Read 13900 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2019, 04:58:58 PM »
Yeah the guy who usually puts them together is out and it's basically a 21 year old 'kid' that is very intelligent but I don't know how much he KNOWS about that kind of stuff.  He's done some things for me before.  Either way the phone was breaking up when he called me saying that so I think that's what he was saying and referring to.  I copy and pasted what he said and sent that pic.

LongJon - I have full confidence that you could do just as good a job building this system as your tech could. Seriously, you've been in and around high-end PCs for years now. What are you waiting for? Give it a try!

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2019, 07:25:27 PM »
Yeah the guy who usually puts them together is out and it's basically a 21 year old 'kid' that is very intelligent but I don't know how much he KNOWS about that kind of stuff.  He's done some things for me before.  Either way the phone was breaking up when he called me saying that so I think that's what he was saying and referring to.  I copy and pasted what he said and sent that pic.

LongJon - I have full confidence that you could do just as good a job building this system as your tech could. Seriously, you've been in and around high-end PCs for years now. What are you waiting for? Give it a try!

That's exactly what my friend said haha.  I do admit, I am very curious to do it myself.  I'm just hesitant that I might screw something up and I spent so much money on everything ;D

Having said that though, I'll be doing a build for a family member later this year and I might attempt to do that one myself.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2019, 09:59:16 AM »
Just got the new PC back.  Fixing to turn it on for the first time.  He said while assembling it, that the backplate wouldn't fit.  Again, idk if he knows what he's talking about, but it's all assembled now and hooked up.  I have the backplate with me.  How important is it?  It obviously doesn't look as good without it.  Is he right?  If so, where can I order what I need to get it to go on the H500M properly? 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2019, 10:12:33 AM »
Just got the new PC back.  Fixing to turn it on for the first time.  He said while assembling it, that the backplate wouldn't fit.  Again, idk if he knows what he's talking about, but it's all assembled now and hooked up.  I have the backplate with me.  How important is it?  It obviously doesn't look as good without it.  Is he right?  If so, where can I order what I need to get it to go on the H500M properly?

Are you talking about the metal cover that comes in the back of the H500M to hide the cables? If it didn't fit, it's because he didn't tuck the cables out of the way.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2019, 11:09:20 AM »
So what software do I need to download to overclock my 9900K/2080Ti?

Oh and by the way, you weren't lying about this cooler.  I can barely hear the PC at all.  It's whisper quiet which is awesome!  Other one sounded like I was in a blower factory it was so loud in comparison!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2019, 11:21:37 AM »

Oh and by the way, you weren't lying about this cooler.  I can barely hear the PC at all.  It's whisper quiet which is awesome!  Other one sounded like I was in a blower factory it was so loud in comparison!

Glad you like the cooler!

You need MSI Afterburner to overclock the RTX 2080 Ti, and you need Asus AISuite3 to overclock the 9900K on your Maximus Code motherboard.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2019, 11:36:55 AM »

Glad you like the cooler!

You need MSI Afterburner to overclock the RTX 2080 Ti, and you need Asus AISuite3 to overclock the 9900K on your Maximus Code motherboard.

Okay I've got the moth downloaded... What 'exactly' do I do?  I know I want to run the 9900K at 5.0 ghz if possible.  I don't want to go any higher (i've heard of some people doing that).  Can't the 9900K run at 5ghz on more than one core?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2019, 12:14:39 PM »
Yes, the 9900K can hit 5GHz on all cores. I'd start with the AI Overclocking built into AISuite. It may get you there without any need to dial in manual settings.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2019, 04:27:59 PM »
So I went into the bios and basically everything is set to auto.  I want to make sure my RAM is running at 3200mhz.  When I go to task manager it says 2133.  Then I went back to BIOS and changed it to 3200mhz, saved it and then it went to a blank screen and would never show anything on the monitor.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to change the RAM voltage?  What does it need to run at. 

Remember I'm a super noob when it comes to overclocking.  You helped me do it 2 years ago on my last build and I never touched any of it for the most part again so I've forgotten most of it.  I know overall it's simple with this software you linked (as far as graphics card and CPU overclocking) but thanks for any help you can provide.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2019, 08:33:15 PM »
So I went into the bios and basically everything is set to auto.  I want to make sure my RAM is running at 3200mhz.  When I go to task manager it says 2133.  Then I went back to BIOS and changed it to 3200mhz, saved it and then it went to a blank screen and would never show anything on the monitor.  What am I doing wrong?  Do I need to change the RAM voltage?  What does it need to run at. 

Remember I'm a super noob when it comes to overclocking.  You helped me do it 2 years ago on my last build and I never touched any of it for the most part again so I've forgotten most of it.  I know overall it's simple with this software you linked (as far as graphics card and CPU overclocking) but thanks for any help you can provide.

Ha, ha, don't do that! OK, that's a good reminder to start at step 1! So here we go: Enter the BIOS and select the XMP profile for your RAM. This will select all the right settings, which include timings, sub-timings, and voltage. You can  just set  It should ask if you'd like to run multicore enhancement, but if it doesn't, switch that to enabled as well.

Once that's done and working, I have one other tweak for you, so come back here to get it!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:18:22 AM by Ari Altman »

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2019, 11:19:33 PM »

Ha, ha, don't do that! OK, that's a good reminder to start at step! So here we go: Enter the BIOS and select the XMP profile for your RAM. This will select all the right settings, which include timings, sub-timings, and voltage. You can  just set  It should ask if you'd like to run multicore enhancement, but if it doesn't, switch that to enabled as well.

Once that's done and working, I have one other tweak for you, so come back here to get it!

On my previous motherboard it was layed out differently.  I found the XMP profile easily.  I've looked and looked and I don't see where to choose it on this new BIOS.  The new BIOS looks similar because it's ASUS like my previous motherboard, but it's also SO different that I'm pretty confused.

Also how to I edit my RGB in my case?  I'm probably just going to turn it off but I'd like to edit it too if I so choose.

Also when I boot up the PC after my first go around in AI Suite 3 it was saying 38% overclock, now it's saying 41%?  So I guess it did work as far as the CPU goes..
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 09:02:24 AM by LongJon »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2019, 11:35:22 AM »

Ha, ha, don't do that! OK, that's a good reminder to start at step! So here we go: Enter the BIOS and select the XMP profile for your RAM. This will select all the right settings, which include timings, sub-timings, and voltage. You can  just set  It should ask if you'd like to run multicore enhancement, but if it doesn't, switch that to enabled as well.

On my previous motherboard it was layed out differently.  I found the XMP profile easily.  I've looked and looked and I don't see where to choose it on this new BIOS.  The new BIOS looks similar because it's ASUS like my previous motherboard, but it's also SO different that I'm pretty confused.

Also how to I edit my RGB in my case?  I'm probably just going to turn it off but I'd like to edit it too if I so choose.

Also when I boot up the PC after my first go around in AI Suite 3 it was saying 38% overclock, now it's saying 41%?  So I guess it did work as far as the CPU goes..

Yes, it sounds like the overclock took. It's not really a 41% overclock, by the way - that's just compared to the 3.6GHz base clock, which is fictional.

I'm not sure if it sets the XMP profile too, but you can check in the BIOS right here and set it if it's not set:

Another thing you must do on all Asus boards is increase the power limit, because by default it will throttle a 9900K like crazy to keep it under 95W, which is how Intel markets this 140W chip. Here's where you do that in the BIOS:

Aura lighting can be shut off in the upper-right-hand corner of the BIOS. If you want to actually customize it, you have to download the Asus Aura software suite.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2019, 08:16:47 AM »
XMP showed up fine in the selectable settings in the bios on my last build but it doesn't in this one.  At least I'm not seeing that screen that you're showing in those screenshots. When I click overclocking presets, that drop down bar with the different presets isn't there, nor is XMP like it was before on my last one.  I'll check again.

Also I turned off RGB in BIOS, 'saved and exit' afterwards and it is still lighting up.  I've been crazy busy with work lately too that's why it's taken a while to respond. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »
XMP showed up fine in the selectable settings in the bios on my last build but it doesn't in this one.  At least I'm not seeing that screen that you're showing in those screenshots. When I click overclocking presets, that drop down bar with the different presets isn't there, nor is XMP like it was before on my last one.  I'll check again.

Also I turned off RGB in BIOS, 'saved and exit' afterwards and it is still lighting up.  I've been crazy busy with work lately too that's why it's taken a while to respond.

Check again on XMP. It's got to be there.

As for RGB, it's possible that your builder just hooked it up to a controller on the case, rather than the motherboard. It would use the case's reset switch as a lighting switch. See what that button does when you have the chance.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 15, 2019, 07:37:30 PM »
Okay, I got the XMP done and changed it to 170% like you said.  So it looks like the 3200 RAM overclock and 5.0ghz CPU overclock has taken place.

Now for overclocking the GPU.  I downloaded MSI Afterburner.  But I don't know what numbers to put in when I'm in there.  What do I overclock it to?  Where do I input the numbers?  Remember I'm a noob in all this lol.

I'll have to see if I can figure out the RGB issue.  If I hit the reset switch it changes all the different lighting modes on the case.  Only problem is it doesn't seem to have an OFF setting. 

Last, I'm noticing when I start up my PC, it looks like AI Suite 3 is booting up every time when I boot the PC up, then I have to right click on it and hit Exit every time.  I looked on apps that start up when PC does and it isn't listed.  How can I get that to stop?