Author Topic: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?  (Read 3345 times)

LongJon

• View Profile
Re: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?
« Reply #90 on: April 01, 2019, 01:28:04 PM »
Any idea when that 2TB Evo Plus is coming out?  I know they said April but didn't specify.  I'm curious if they will come out with a Pro version of the Plus?

I also like that new case you put in the 3500 build!  Looks sharp.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »
Any idea when that 2TB Evo Plus is coming out?  I know they said April but didn't specify.  I'm curious if they will come out with a Pro version of the Plus?

I've been wondering about the 2TB Evo Plus as well. Just asked my "handler" at Samsung for an update on that and the 970 Pro "Plus," but I doubt I'll get any dirt on the latter.

And yes, the Phanteks Evolv X case is a nice one. Had considered it in the fall but availability just wasn't good enough. I still like the Thermaltake View 71 a lot, but have decided to pull all RGB products off the site that don't support motherboard RGB controls. Ironically, the best products released this year that do support these controls are from Thermaltake, so its newest cases and coolers will be featured prominently in the guides in the coming months. If you want to learn more, check out my YouTube review of Thermaltake's ARGB lighting system.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2019, 08:56:23 PM »

I've been wondering about the 2TB Evo Plus as well. Just asked my "handler" at Samsung for an update on that and the 970 Pro "Plus," but I doubt I'll get any dirt on the latter.

And yes, the Phanteks Evolv X case is a nice one. Had considered it in the fall but availability just wasn't good enough. I still like the Thermaltake View 71 a lot, but have decided to pull all RGB products off the site that don't support motherboard RGB controls. Ironically, the best products released this year that do support these controls are from Thermaltake, so its newest cases and coolers will be featured prominently in the guides in the coming months. If you want to learn more, check out my YouTube review of Thermaltake's ARGB lighting system.

Hopefully you hear something soon on the Evo Plus front.  And cool on the video.  I'd been wondering if you had a YouTube channel or not.

I got a question for you.  I'm doing more and more video editing whether it be for work, play, or whatever...  I have 32gb of ram running at 3000mhz (wont run at 3200 for some reason), i7-7700k overclocked to 4.7 I believe.  And a 1080 Ti.

I've noticed my system running a bit slow at times lately.  I have a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSd as my main drive that my OS and games and stuff is on, and then back when I built this (you advised me not to do it at the time) I put a 3TB HDD in my build because SSD's were just too expensive at the time and I needed a lot more storage.

I've already got a 4TB Samsung 860 Evo that I haven't installed yet.  I'm waiting on the 970 Evo Plus or 970 Plus Pro and then I'm going to run my OS/Games on the Evo Plus and data on the 4TB 860 Evo.  So I can install them at the same time.

Do you think my sometimes slow feeling in the OS/Adobe Premiere is because of dealing with files on the HDD or from the 7700K or both?  It used to just be every once in a while but now it's getting pretty common at times when I'm doing work on the PC.  Will putting m new storage options solve this (getting rid of the HDD, and giving the 850 to my brother) or should I look at getting the 9900K?

I'm trying HARD to wait on Intel's 10nm chip that was supposed to come at the end of this year and we're already in April so I would have to wait THAT much longer...  But now I'm hearing it could be 2020 before Ice Lake or whatever comes out.  Have you heard anything on that front and what would you do?  I know you said you really like your 9900K and the 4 extra cores would certainly help.

I know that's a loaded post, sorry haha. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2019, 09:16:32 PM »
Hey again, LongJon,

Actually, Samsung did get back to me, and they said they have no update on the 970 Evo Plus 2TB. That's not a good sign, as it was supposed to launch by now. They probably don't want to launch it into a market where prices are in freefall. They'd have to price it way below the 970 Evo 2TB, and they probably don't want to.

Just my educated guess on what's happening.

As for the slowdowns, are you actually storing Premiere work files on the hard drive, or only completed videos? To see what's going on, I suggest you run Task Manager in the background while using Premiere and see if your hard drive is getting a lot of activity.

I don't think simply having a hard drive in your system would make the OS feel slow. One thing that could slow you down is if your 850 evo is near full. The drive relies heavily on caching, and if it doesn't have much space to work, it will run quite slowly.

As for Intel, I have no updates on that, but Zen 2 will launch in June, so that will at least tell us whether AMD is going to have a momentary lead this year.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2019, 03:50:54 PM »
Hey Ari,

I'm currently deciding between two cases:

This one that we've talked about - https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterCase-Computer-Option/dp/B07DF2SP3X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1DCFL6PEEG4EO&keywords=h500m&qid=1555262660&s=gateway&sprefix=h5%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-1

And this one - https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Tempered-Vertical-Pre-Installed-CA-1I7-00F1WN-01/dp/B074ZN21M8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Thermaltake+View+71&qid=1555262958&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Which do you recommend? I'm planning on getting that fan you recommended.  I'm assuming it'll be more than okay and future proof to keep a 2080 Ti FTW3 and whatever next flagship gaming processor 10nm that Intel announces, assuming I don't go with something from AMD's new lineup they'll unveil in June?

Is this the fan you rocommended? - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermaltake+280&crid=26T9XJX5PXWS0&sprefix=thermaltake+2%2Caps%2C163&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_13

All I'm really waiting on at this point is Samsung to release the 970 Evo Plus 2TB.  Hopefully that happens soon.  But I want to make a decision between those two cases.  I like the one you recommended in the 3500 but it doesn't have enough USB ports up front (only 2 and 1 USB C)... I'm used to having 4.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:07:09 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2019, 05:09:56 PM »
Hey Ari,

This one that we've talked about - https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MasterCase-Computer-Option/dp/B07DF2SP3X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1DCFL6PEEG4EO&keywords=h500m&qid=1555262660&s=gateway&sprefix=h5%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-1

And this one - https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Tempered-Vertical-Pre-Installed-CA-1I7-00F1WN-01/dp/B074ZN21M8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Thermaltake+View+71&qid=1555262958&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Which do you recommend? I'm planning on getting that fan you recommended.  I'm assuming it'll be more than okay and future proof to keep a 2080 Ti FTW3 and whatever next flagship gaming processor 10nm that Intel announces, assuming I don't go with something from AMD's new lineup they'll unveil in June?

Is this the fan you rocommended? - https://www.amazon.com/s?k=thermaltake+280&crid=26T9XJX5PXWS0&sprefix=thermaltake+2%2Caps%2C163&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_13

All I'm really waiting on at this point is Samsung to release the 970 Evo Plus 2TB.  Hopefully that happens soon.  But I want to make a decision between those two cases.  I like the one you recommended in the 3500 but it doesn't have enough USB ports up front (only 2 and 1 USB C)... I'm used to having 4.

Hey again, LongJon.

So, keep in mind that USB ports are partially dependent on your motherboard. The Cooler Master H500M was pulled from the guide specifically because it was causing grief for a few users specifically because most current motherboards do not support all of its USB port. It is massively future-proof, which is nice, but it also means it's head of the game. What motherboard are you going to be using it with? I'd recommend you consider a case with two USB 3.0 and one Type C before going with two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 like the Thermaltake View 71.

And by the way, this is the cooler I now recommend for ultra-high-end builds: the Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2019, 07:33:03 PM »
Hey Ari,

Hey again, LongJon.

So, keep in mind that USB ports are partially dependent on your motherboard. The Cooler Master H500M was pulled from the guide specifically because it was causing grief for a few users specifically because most current motherboards do not support all of its USB port. It is massively future-proof, which is nice, but it also means it's head of the game. What motherboard are you going to be using it with? I'd recommend you consider a case with two USB 3.0 and one Type C before going with two USB 3.0 and two USB 2.0 like the Thermaltake View 71.

And by the way, this is the cooler I now recommend for ultra-high-end builds: the Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync.

My current motherboard is the ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming LGA1151.  I'm assuming my motherboard isn't new enough to support all the USB slots?  That isn't 'that' much of a problem because I will be upgrading my CPU/motherboard to whatever Intel comes out with when they finally release their 10nm architecture.  And I'm going high end with whatever I buy next CPU wise.  So I guess I should go with the H500M then? 

And I definitely want the best cooler available to go in my next build so I will definitely go with whatever you recommend.  I want everything running as cool/quite as possible.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2019, 09:13:27 PM »
Yes, go for the Cooler Master H500M. It's out of stock right now but always returns quickly.

Your current Z270 motherboard supports two USB 3.0 ports plus 1 USB type-C port, so it will leave two USB ports not working on the H500M. Just make sure that when you buy a new next-gen motherboard that it has full support for all your ports. That will likely mean spending at least $300.

And at this point, I'm pretty sure Samsung is just stalling when it comes to the 970 Evo Plus. It's a terrible market to launch a new high-capacity SSD into. They can't price it where they want to, so they won't release it. You might want to keep an eye out for the WD Black SN750 2TB, which was similarly paper launched. It's probably been delayed for the same reason as the 970 Evo Plus 2TB.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2019, 02:21:55 PM »
Would the H500M still be your pick when compared to the Thermaltake A500?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2019, 04:27:01 PM »
Would the H500M still be your pick when compared to the Thermaltake A500?

These are two very different cases. The A500 has two ultra high quality aluminum panels plus awesome hinged glass doors that give it a very premium feel. The H500M is all about flash, thanks to its big ARGB front fans. Out of the box, it also has slightly higher airflow, but upgrading the A500's fans would equal it out.

Performance per dollar: H500M wins.
Overall looks: A500 wins for sure unless yout want RGB up front, which it obviously doesn't allow

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2019, 06:06:56 PM »
What's your opinion of the Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2 from be quiet?

Do you still think I should go for the same fan you recommended me earlier for the A500? 

This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Motherboard-Efficiency-Radiator-CL-W234-PL12SW/dp/B07N9K44Y8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?creativeASIN=B07N9K44Y8&imprToken=Ylw1mOmc0uwMhd60enEZKw&slotNum=9&keywords=CL-W234-PL12SW-A&qid=1551316928&s=gateway&sr=8-1&linkCode=w61&tag=thtebusgu-20&linkId=bc12c6dc9e9ad6df46dfc6fb34b9303b&language=en_US

And I'm hoping I don't have to wait 'that' long for the 2TB Evo Plus.  Do you think it's really that worth it vs a TB 970 Pro or a 2TB standard Evo?  I want the 2TB to future proof it but I don't want to wait forever.

I'm curious if I should wait for Computex at the end of next month before I make any moves?  Is that an event where lots of new products are announced or no?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 11:32:23 PM by LongJon »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2019, 11:03:13 AM »
What's your opinion of the Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2 from be quiet?

Do you still think I should go for the same fan you recommended me earlier for the A500? 

This one?

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Motherboard-Efficiency-Radiator-CL-W234-PL12SW/dp/B07N9K44Y8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?creativeASIN=B07N9K44Y8&imprToken=Ylw1mOmc0uwMhd60enEZKw&slotNum=9&keywords=CL-W234-PL12SW-A&qid=1551316928&s=gateway&sr=8-1&linkCode=w61&tag=thtebusgu-20&linkId=bc12c6dc9e9ad6df46dfc6fb34b9303b&language=en_US

And I'm hoping I don't have to wait 'that' long for the 2TB Evo Plus.  Do you think it's really that worth it vs a TB 970 Pro or a 2TB standard Evo?  I want the 2TB to future proof it but I don't want to wait forever.

I'm curious if I should wait for Computex at the end of next month before I make any moves?  Is that an event where lots of new products are announced or no?

The Dark Base Pro Rev. 2 is a nice case, and I've considered it for TBG guides, but the fact that it still uses ancient screw-on glass panels just turns me off. Hinged panels, or at the minimum slide-in panels, are really required for a high-end case today. It's also on the expensive side, because be quiet! always prices its products on the premium side. If you love the look, go for it, but it's not winning a recommendation from me.

As for the CPU cooler, yes, you can use the Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 ARGB Sync, in fact that's the exact cooler I used in the TBG's Thermaltake A500 review.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2019, 03:14:12 PM »
What's the difference between the ARGB fan you recommended and the Floe fan that's 15$ more?  I don't really care for RGB lighting and probably won't use that, if that matters or not but I still want the best fan possible.  I just bought the H500m by the way.  Should be here the middle of next week.  I'm slowly starting to put together my next build.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2019, 04:02:25 PM »
What's the difference between the ARGB fan you recommended and the Floe fan that's 15$ more?  I don't really care for RGB lighting and probably won't use that, if that matters or not but I still want the best fan possible.  I just bought the H500m by the way.  Should be here the middle of next week.  I'm slowly starting to put together my next build.

Thermaltake Water 3.0 ARGB is superior to more expensive Thermaltake Water 3.0 Floe. Newer, better, cheaper. And this comes direct from a Thermaltake rep's mouth to my ears.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2019, 05:15:35 PM »

Thermaltake Water 3.0 ARGB is superior to more expensive Thermaltake Water 3.0 Floe. Newer, better, cheaper. And this comes direct from a Thermaltake rep's mouth to my ears.

Awesome, good to know.  Thanks Ari.