Author Topic: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?  (Read 5008 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2019, 09:43:04 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  Long term I do want to get a full home theatre system.  Only problem right now is I'm in an apartment and won't be able to truly crank it up much which has me leaning to a soundbar.  Also on the AV receivers... What is their main purpose?  Is it like the main 'hub' that everything runs through?  I've never really looked that much into them so I don't completely understand what they are all about.  However I've always been interested in them.  I get the general idea of what they are and what they're for but it'd be nice to hear it from you lol.

To a certain extent, today's soundbars can play the role of a receiver, in that they can switch between components for you, requiring fewer "input" changes on each device in order to switch modes. For example, both a modern soundbar and a receiver will allow multiple devices to be plugged in via HDMI (cable box, xbox, blu-ray player), with one output to a TV, and then you just select which source you want on the soundbar remote, and it processes audio and sends video on to the TV. The TV itself never needs to be switched to HDMI 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

But this has gotten much more complicated now that a lot of content is watched through a TV's native smart apps, which then requires a sound bar to have HDMI ARC, so that it can not just send video to the TV, but receive audio back from the TV.

This is all to say that a good receiver is going to be a whole lot better and sorting all this out than a soundbar, and in part this comes down to the number of HDMI 2.0 ports it has, and in part it has to do with how up to date it is. And receivers are much more likely to be firmware upgradeable to add features like HDR and Dolby Vision than your average soundbar. They can also provide streaming audio (connecting to various online services), which most soundbars cannot do.

And of course, there's the elephant in the room: AV receivers can pump out orders of magnitude more watts than a soundbar, allowing you to drive big speakers. This isn't just about getting loud (as you mention you can't play things loud in your apartment) - it's also about getting really detailed sound at low volumes. A soundbar will have a lot of trouble with that due to its small woofers. An AV receiver works with much larger speakers to produce a much fuller sound even at low volumes, and a much clearer, undistorted sound at higher volumes. There's really no replacement for volume when it comes to moving air (which is what sound is).

So, with all that said, I really think you should take the AV receiver idea seriously, and build it out step by step. Like I mentioned, that Pioneer AV receiver is a steal at $660, and you could just get the two NHT satellites for now and barely take up more space than a sound bar. The overall sound will be far superior, and it will have lots of growing room for when you move to a new location or just clear out some more room in your current listening area.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2019, 03:02:52 PM »
I'm going to continue using my current soundbar since it's barely 3 years old.  Even though it's a basic $329 Samsung soundbar with subwoofer, it'll have to do for now while I prioritize other things in the mean time.

Speaking of which my Q90R should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.  Samsung uses AKG for shipping but they don't give you actual tracking info, they just tell you that it's shipped.  I have the tracking # but no where to put it in.  Kinda weird.  Says it'll be here on Tuesday potentially but delivery is set for Wednesday?  Kinda confusing but either way I'm super excited. 

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2019, 09:10:03 PM »
OK, well, your current case is a great one, but it doesn't properly support 280mm coolers. Unless you actually want to do a complete new build at this point, I'd go with the Thermaltake Floe 240mm. It looks great and has a very quiet pump and fans.

Will the case I suggested work with 280?

Absolutely, and it's what would recommend for a case of that caliber.

I saw a post on your forums about problems with this case I told you earlier in this thread I wanted to get https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119349&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Cases%20(Computer%20Cases%20-%20ATX%20Form)-_-N82E16811119349&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItc-Rp8O84AIVhYbACh1lNgcqEAQYAyABEgL_NPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&cm_sp=&AID=11552995&PID=7120282&SID= and saw where you said you quit recommending it because of said problems...  Would it still be okay for my use or would you steer my somewhere else? 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2019, 09:16:19 PM »

I saw a post on your forums about problems with this case I told you earlier in this thread I wanted to get https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119349&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Cases%20(Computer%20Cases%20-%20ATX%20Form)-_-N82E16811119349&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItc-Rp8O84AIVhYbACh1lNgcqEAQYAyABEgL_NPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&cm_sp=&AID=11552995&PID=7120282&SID= and saw where you said you quit recommending it because of said problems...  Would it still be okay for my use or would you steer my somewhere else?

The issue with it isn't a functional one, but it's one that will confuse a lot of PC builders. The H500M has 4 USB 3.0 ports plus a USB Type-C port, but there are no motherboards under $350 with sufficient headers to connect all those ports. So rather than start spec'ing the guides with what I consider overpriced motherboards, I simply pulled the H500M from the guide.

As long as you're OK with having a few of those ports non-operative or running at USB 2.0 speeds via this SilverStone adapter, it's an excellent case.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2019, 07:05:06 PM »
Well I've been waiting patiently for Sunny Cove/10nm Ice Lake or whatever you want to call it from Intel...  Everything I've read has been saying late 2019 but I'm starting to feel now that I'm seeing Comet Lake aka Skylake refresh #1000 that it might be 2020 before Ice Lake hits desktops.  What's your opinion on this?  I know Intel takes their sweet time and constantly has hit road blocks with 10nm.  Should I just wait it out with my 7700k or go for a 10 core Comet Lake?  Are they any other tangible benefits to Comet Lake other than increasing the core count?  When do you expect Ice Lake? 

ORRRR should I look into/wait for the upcoming Ryzen chips?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:32:31 PM by LongJon »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2019, 08:56:02 PM »
Well I've been waiting patiently for Sunny Cove/10nm Ice Lake or whatever you want to call it from Intel...  Everything I've read has been saying late 2019 but I'm starting to feel now that I'm seeing Comet Lake aka Skylake refresh #1000 that it might be 2020 before Ice Lake hits desktops.  What's your opinion on this?  I know Intel takes their sweet time and constantly has hit road blocks with 10nm.  Should I just wait it out with my 7700k or go for a 10 core Comet Lake?  Are they any other tangible benefits to Comet Lake other than increasing the core count?  When do you expect Ice Lake? 

I don't have too much insight into Intel's plans, other than the fact that Comet Lake is just Coffee Lake with two extra cores, same architecture, same node, which means it will be a furnace. Luckily, Zen 2 will be here long before anything from Intel hits the market, so you can take a look at those and decide if they meet your needs. I'm expecting AMD to at least catch Intel if not surpass it this time around, at least for a short while.

The 7700K is pretty underpowered at this point. I still have one, but it's in my rarely-used HTPC gaming machine. The Ryzen 7 2700X and Core i9-9900K are the CPUs used in TBG's two main systems.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2019, 06:32:50 AM »

I don't have too much insight into Intel's plans, other than the fact that Comet Lake is just Coffee Lake with two extra cores, same architecture, same node, which means it will be a furnace. Luckily, Zen 2 will be here long before anything from Intel hits the market, so you can take a look at those and decide if they meet your needs. I'm expecting AMD to at least catch Intel if not surpass it this time around, at least for a short while.

The 7700K is pretty underpowered at this point. I still have one, but it's in my rarely-used HTPC gaming machine. The Ryzen 7 2700X and Core i9-9900K are the CPUs used in TBG's two main systems.

Hey don't talk about my 7700k like that lol.  Maybe it's because I came from laptops mainly before I built this PC but it's so much better than anything I've ever hard before it.  And that's probably because everything is running on an SSD for the first time, mixed in with a high end 1080 Ti and an overclocked 7700k.  I feel like it's great.  It's amazing how for SO long the core counts didn't go up, and now they've completely skyrocketed.

Either way, I'll wait and see what AMD brings out this time around.  When do you expect AMD to release Zen 2?  And I agree on Comet Lake.  I bet that thing will get hotttt.  Which no one wants. 

Also I got my Q90R last week and was setting everything up.  When I turned it on it had 20% of the screen completely ruined (I guess from the delivery).  There was bad color lines all over the screen and the screen was cracked in a certain spot on the lower left hand corner causing all of this I assume.

So I shipped it back to Samsung (that was a hassle) on Friday and they are supposed to get it today.  They said it takes up to 7-14 days for them to issue a refund (which is ridiculous IMO), SO I'm looking at being able to order the replacement (if I choose to do so) maybe at the end of this month.  They did say they'd issue me a $25 credit to use toward expedited shipping if I would want to do that. 

I was extremely excited when I got it and was setting it up, so that stunk but oh well.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 01:30:10 PM by LongJon »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2019, 06:01:41 PM »
Bummer about the new TV. I look forward to hearing how the replacement works!

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2019, 09:05:22 PM »
And here's the Thermaltake Floe 280mm at Amazon. That's the cooler you'll want if you do indeed get the new case.

Thermaltake View 71 or H500M?  Gonna go with the Thermaltake 280 fan you recommended but not sure which case to get.  I see the View 71 is the one you now recommend in the $3500 build... Your thoughts?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2019, 09:20:19 PM »
And here's the Thermaltake Floe 280mm at Amazon. That's the cooler you'll want if you do indeed get the new case.

Thermaltake View 71 or H500M?  Gonna go with the Thermaltake 280 fan you recommended but not sure which case to get.  I see the View 71 is the one you now recommend in the $3500 build... Your thoughts?

I like them both. The Thermaltake View 71 is arguably the better-looking case, the Cooler Master H500M has better airflow. They used to be the same price, now the H500M has jumped in price while the View 71 has fallen, so my pick is the View 71. I also vastly prefer Thermaltake's hinged glass doors to Cooler Master's drop-in system. I have used both on test cases I have sitting next to me (the TT A500 and CM H500P).

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2019, 06:03:07 PM »
I'm torn at the moment.  If you look at the reviews of the Q90R they are really sort of all over the place.  People getting bad panels, problems here and there...  I mean if you got a good panel and no issues then that's great.  But at this point I'm thinking about waiting for the LG C9 to release in April before making a final decision.  I've always been worried about burn in and not as bright of an image, but if you look at the reviews, they are all like 4.8 out of 5 or higher the last 3 years.  That has to account for something.  And with me coming from a 2016 KS8000 which is basically the same brightness level (i think a little less) than a OLED, I won't know the difference.  Plus the contrast will apparently be much better.

Idk what I'm going to do.  I love Samsung and their smart TV platform, but I would love to have full true HDMI 2.1 with what people still consider to be the best image in the TV business in OLED.  They are the exact same price.  It's something I'll be thinking about a lot until I pull the trigger on one.

If you were me deciding on a 2019 LG C9 vs the 2019 Q90R, what would you do with your hard earned $3,500?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2019, 09:56:31 PM »
I'm torn at the moment.  If you look at the reviews of the Q90R they are really sort of all over the place.  People getting bad panels, problems here and there...  I mean if you got a good panel and no issues then that's great.  But at this point I'm thinking about waiting for the LG C9 to release in April before making a final decision.  I've always been worried about burn in and not as bright of an image, but if you look at the reviews, they are all like 4.8 out of 5 or higher the last 3 years.  That has to account for something.  And with me coming from a 2016 KS8000 which is basically the same brightness level (i think a little less) than a OLED, I won't know the difference.  Plus the contrast will apparently be much better.

Idk what I'm going to do.  I love Samsung and their smart TV platform, but I would love to have full true HDMI 2.1 with what people still consider to be the best image in the TV business in OLED.  They are the exact same price.  It's something I'll be thinking about a lot until I pull the trigger on one.

If you were me deciding on a 2019 LG C9 vs the 2019 Q90R, what would you do with your hard earned $3,500?

Having seen the Q90R prototype in action at CES, and having used LG OLEDs extensively (and knowing they haven't deployed any new tech for 2019), I'd go with the Q90R. I'm ticked off that Samsung isn't supporting Dolby Vision, however, so I'd have a hard time spending my own money on a Q90R at the moment. Maybe I'll get over it eventually. ;)

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2019, 07:06:21 PM »
Well I did something I rarely ever do when it comes to buying tech.  I bought last years tech lol.  Given all the mixed reviews (they are everywhere and most of them not good) of the Q90R, lack of HDMI 2.1, no dolby vision, no eARC, etc I almost feel like I'm not getting my money's worth that I'm spending on something brand new. 

SO I snagged a brand new 65 inch 2018 Samsung Q8FN on Amazon today for $1,738.  Which is an insane deal.  I'm upgrading from a 55inch 2016 KS8000 so I know I'll like the extra size.  This will also be the first FALD set I've ever owned in my life.  I'm not expecting to be blown away by the picture quality, but I know it'll be a noticeable improvement.  If you try to get a 65 inch Q9FN right now, you're looking at paying 1k more than I did today.  And I'll be paying 2k less than the Q90R for the same size TV, just one year older.  That's crazy to me.  I'm starting to think those who buy close out models (for the nicer tech anyways) know what they are doing.  I got a steal today, IMO.  And by going this route, I'll be able to upgrade more frequently if I want to like in 2-3 years and hopefully by then Samsung has some of those things I mentioned above figured out. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 26, 2019, 08:30:08 PM »
Well I did something I rarely ever do when it comes to buying tech.  I bought last years tech lol.  Given all the mixed reviews (they are everywhere and most of them not good) of the Q90R, lack of HDMI 2.1, no dolby vision, no eARC, etc I almost feel like I'm not getting my money's worth that I'm spending on something brand new. 

SO I snagged a brand new 65 inch 2018 Samsung Q8FN on Amazon today for $1,738.  Which is an insane deal.  I'm upgrading from a 55inch 2016 KS8000 so I know I'll like the extra size.  This will also be the first FALD set I've ever owned in my life.  I'm not expecting to be blown away by the picture quality, but I know it'll be a noticeable improvement.  If you try to get a 65 inch Q9FN right now, you're looking at paying 1k more than I did today.  And I'll be paying 2k less than the Q90R for the same size TV, just one year older.  That's crazy to me.  I'm starting to think those who buy close out models (for the nicer tech anyways) know what they are doing.  I got a steal today, IMO.  And by going this route, I'll be able to upgrade more frequently if I want to like in 2-3 years and hopefully by then Samsung has some of those things I mentioned above figured out.

I agree that the best time to buy a TV is anytime but at launch! Prices actually drop considerably after about three months, and then again at Black Friday, after which point they're pretty much constant until the TV sells out.

The Q8FN is a good deal at $1,700. You'll enjoy it. At this point, you can't use HDMI 2.1 anyway, and when you need it, you can get a new TV knowing you didn't pay too much for your QLED.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2019, 02:17:48 PM »

I agree that the best time to buy a TV is anytime but at launch! Prices actually drop considerably after about three months, and then again at Black Friday, after which point they're pretty much constant until the TV sells out.

The Q8FN is a good deal at $1,700. You'll enjoy it. At this point, you can't use HDMI 2.1 anyway, and when you need it, you can get a new TV knowing you didn't pay too much for your QLED.

My problem is I always 'try' to keep up/know about the latest tech so therefore I want the newest.  But then again, who doesn't?  And when you buy things that are brand new, you pay for it.  And I'm not rich enough to do that constantly lol. 

But by getting the Q8FN I get access to so many things I want, Freesync/VRR, the lastest firmware that has HomeKit/Airplay as well as the iTunes App, Full Array Local Dimming, 65 inch screen size, etc... I could keep going..  All for a price that I can swallow.

As I said before, had Samsung offered HDMI 2.1, eARC, Dolby vision, and all these other things then I wouldn't have thought twice about getting the Q90R.  And while I'm sure the Q90 is an awesome TV, whoever buys it is paying a premium for something they probably shouldn't features wise. 

At least I'll get to experience Freesync/VRR on Xbox One X and see how that is in addition to all the things I mentioned above.  If you look Samsung and Best Buy had the Q8FN on sale yesterday for $2,299 before tax.  That's the cheapest it's been.  By me snagging it on Amazon at $1,734 tax included, I'm just pumped about it. 

And now I'll be able to upgrade in 2-3 years if I want to when Samsung hopefully has all this other crap figured out.