Author Topic: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?  (Read 1867 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2019, 09:43:04 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  Long term I do want to get a full home theatre system.  Only problem right now is I'm in an apartment and won't be able to truly crank it up much which has me leaning to a soundbar.  Also on the AV receivers... What is their main purpose?  Is it like the main 'hub' that everything runs through?  I've never really looked that much into them so I don't completely understand what they are all about.  However I've always been interested in them.  I get the general idea of what they are and what they're for but it'd be nice to hear it from you lol.

To a certain extent, today's soundbars can play the role of a receiver, in that they can switch between components for you, requiring fewer "input" changes on each device in order to switch modes. For example, both a modern soundbar and a receiver will allow multiple devices to be plugged in via HDMI (cable box, xbox, blu-ray player), with one output to a TV, and then you just select which source you want on the soundbar remote, and it processes audio and sends video on to the TV. The TV itself never needs to be switched to HDMI 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

But this has gotten much more complicated now that a lot of content is watched through a TV's native smart apps, which then requires a sound bar to have HDMI ARC, so that it can not just send video to the TV, but receive audio back from the TV.

This is all to say that a good receiver is going to be a whole lot better and sorting all this out than a soundbar, and in part this comes down to the number of HDMI 2.0 ports it has, and in part it has to do with how up to date it is. And receivers are much more likely to be firmware upgradeable to add features like HDR and Dolby Vision than your average soundbar. They can also provide streaming audio (connecting to various online services), which most soundbars cannot do.

And of course, there's the elephant in the room: AV receivers can pump out orders of magnitude more watts than a soundbar, allowing you to drive big speakers. This isn't just about getting loud (as you mention you can't play things loud in your apartment) - it's also about getting really detailed sound at low volumes. A soundbar will have a lot of trouble with that due to its small woofers. An AV receiver works with much larger speakers to produce a much fuller sound even at low volumes, and a much clearer, undistorted sound at higher volumes. There's really no replacement for volume when it comes to moving air (which is what sound is).

So, with all that said, I really think you should take the AV receiver idea seriously, and build it out step by step. Like I mentioned, that Pioneer AV receiver is a steal at $660, and you could just get the two NHT satellites for now and barely take up more space than a sound bar. The overall sound will be far superior, and it will have lots of growing room for when you move to a new location or just clear out some more room in your current listening area.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2019, 03:02:52 PM »
I'm going to continue using my current soundbar since it's barely 3 years old.  Even though it's a basic $329 Samsung soundbar with subwoofer, it'll have to do for now while I prioritize other things in the mean time.

Speaking of which my Q90R should be here Tuesday or Wednesday.  Samsung uses AKG for shipping but they don't give you actual tracking info, they just tell you that it's shipped.  I have the tracking # but no where to put it in.  Kinda weird.  Says it'll be here on Tuesday potentially but delivery is set for Wednesday?  Kinda confusing but either way I'm super excited. 

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2019, 09:10:03 PM »
OK, well, your current case is a great one, but it doesn't properly support 280mm coolers. Unless you actually want to do a complete new build at this point, I'd go with the Thermaltake Floe 240mm. It looks great and has a very quiet pump and fans.

Will the case I suggested work with 280?

Absolutely, and it's what would recommend for a case of that caliber.

I saw a post on your forums about problems with this case I told you earlier in this thread I wanted to get https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119349&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Cases%20(Computer%20Cases%20-%20ATX%20Form)-_-N82E16811119349&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItc-Rp8O84AIVhYbACh1lNgcqEAQYAyABEgL_NPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&cm_sp=&AID=11552995&PID=7120282&SID= and saw where you said you quit recommending it because of said problems...  Would it still be okay for my use or would you steer my somewhere else? 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2019, 09:16:19 PM »

I saw a post on your forums about problems with this case I told you earlier in this thread I wanted to get https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119349&ignorebbr=1&source=region&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Cases%20(Computer%20Cases%20-%20ATX%20Form)-_-N82E16811119349&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItc-Rp8O84AIVhYbACh1lNgcqEAQYAyABEgL_NPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&cm_sp=&AID=11552995&PID=7120282&SID= and saw where you said you quit recommending it because of said problems...  Would it still be okay for my use or would you steer my somewhere else?

The issue with it isn't a functional one, but it's one that will confuse a lot of PC builders. The H500M has 4 USB 3.0 ports plus a USB Type-C port, but there are no motherboards under $350 with sufficient headers to connect all those ports. So rather than start spec'ing the guides with what I consider overpriced motherboards, I simply pulled the H500M from the guide.

As long as you're OK with having a few of those ports non-operative or running at USB 2.0 speeds via this SilverStone adapter, it's an excellent case.