Author Topic: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?  (Read 17987 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »
Oh yeah, technically the big difference is that the RGB lighting can be controlled via the motherboard or a breakout box, rather than just by a breakout box. But the fans are also better.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2019, 06:17:13 PM »
As of now I've bought:

H500M
EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3
Thermaltake Water 3.0 ARGB
4TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD

All I want/need now I believe:
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB

And that's really it.  You said my power supply is good enough.  I have the Corsair HXi Series HX1000i. 

If I don't need to upgrade that, I'm going to include my current motherboard/7700k in this build for now until I figure out which processor I want to upgrade to when AMD releases their Ryzen 3000 chips or Intel with their 10nm architecture.

I'm assuming I'm good on RAM.  I have 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 (runs at 3000mhz only for some reason). 

If there's anything else you'd add/tweak to what my build will be, feel free to give input lol.  And happy Easter thanks for all your continued help!  When all of this is done, my build will be:

Case - H500M
Graphics Card - EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3
Processor - i7-7700k
Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming LGA1151
Storage - Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Storage 2 - Samsung 860 Evo SSD 4TB
Fan - Thermaltake Water 3.0 ARGB
Power Supply - Corsair HXi Series HX1000i.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 07:53:52 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2019, 08:01:58 AM »
This is going to be a nice upgrade! Which parts are you going to use for now? I assume you'll drop the new GPU into your current system, since that's easy, and attaching the SSD is simple too. The case and liquid cooler are much bigger challenges, so are you going to wait until you get a new CPU/motherboard to use them? One advantage of holding off until then is your current PC remains intact enough that you can pass it on to someone else or use it as a second PC.

By the way, yes, your HX1000i is more than good enough to power any new system (it's excellent in fact), and your RAM should probably run at 3200MHz on a new system. Memory compatibility improves with each generation.

Just a word of warning: don't hold your breath on the 970 Evo Plus 2TB. Both Samsung and Western Digital have aborted previously-announced launch dates so far, and another competing 2TB drive, from HP, has disappeared from the market after initially being available. I just don't think these high-performance 2TB drives make business sense right now, probably due to a combination of production costs and limited demand.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2019, 11:18:43 AM »
This is going to be a nice upgrade! Which parts are you going to use for now? I assume you'll drop the new GPU into your current system, since that's easy, and attaching the SSD is simple too. The case and liquid cooler are much bigger challenges, so are you going to wait until you get a new CPU/motherboard to use them? One advantage of holding off until then is your current PC remains intact enough that you can pass it on to someone else or use it as a second PC.

By the way, yes, your HX1000i is more than good enough to power any new system (it's excellent in fact), and your RAM should probably run at 3200MHz on a new system. Memory compatibility improves with each generation.

Just a word of warning: don't hold your breath on the 970 Evo Plus 2TB. Both Samsung and Western Digital have aborted previously-announced launch dates so far, and another competing 2TB drive, from HP, has disappeared from the market after initially being available. I just don't think these high-performance 2TB drives make business sense right now, probably due to a combination of production costs and limited demand.

I guess I'm just going to get the 970 Pro 1TB or the 970 Evo Plus 1TB.  Which do you recommend between those two?  I know the Evo Plus is newer and can be had for about a hundred dollars cheaper.  But i'll just get one of those two and one day down the road if I need more storage, I'll get something bigger and maybe more storage will be more affordable by then.

And I was planning on just transferring pretty much everything I mentioned above to the new case and start using it right away due to the fact that who KNOWS how long Intel will keep people waiting on their new 10nm chips.  And because I just want to go ahead and get to using everything right now or as quick as possible.  So i figured I'd get/buy every other component I could think of and have everything ready to go so when the new chips do come out, all I'll have to get is the CPU/motherboard.

I'm going to be selling my 1080 Ti on eBay as well as my 7700k/motherboard when I swap it out.  The rest of my stuff (850 evo, 3tb HDD, old fan, old case, etc) to my brother as he needs a good PC and my 'old' one at that point is still better than 90% of PC's out there so he'll be happy. 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 11:41:34 AM by LongJon »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2019, 08:19:53 PM »
Hard to say on the SSDs. I personally think that if you're spending serious money on a system (which it seems like you are), you want the best tech, and that's the 970 Pro 1TB. It's the standard by which all others are judged, and being MLC, it's not just really fast, it's also really consistent.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2019, 08:22:41 PM »
Thanks, that's what I went with.  The 970 Pro 1TB.  That'll give me 5TB of SSD storage overall to work with.  I do a lot of video editing for work and recorded game footage, along with storing all my personal stuff from my phone still on my PC.  So it adds up decently quick, having said that though, with all my stuff on there I should still have 2TB left over which will last me a long time and by then, hopefully more storage can be had for cheaper amounts.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2019, 05:27:12 PM »
I can't find the box my 1080 Ti came in... It's the EVGA FTW3 1080 Ti...  Do you think that will be a problem when I put it up for sale on eBay next week?  Or do people really only care about the card?

I usually keep most of my boxes for big purchases like that because I know ahead of time I'll likely resale them to upgrade which is what I've done on eBay for over 10 years.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2019, 07:37:24 AM »
I can't find the box my 1080 Ti came in... It's the EVGA FTW3 1080 Ti...  Do you think that will be a problem when I put it up for sale on eBay next week?  Or do people really only care about the card?

I usually keep most of my boxes for big purchases like that because I know ahead of time I'll likely resale them to upgrade which is what I've done on eBay for over 10 years.

I would guess that will knock about 10% off of what you can get for the card.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 24, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »
Hopefully I'll be able to find it.  What do you think of this new report?

https://wccftech.com/intel-desktop-mobile-cpu-roadmap-leak-14nm-comet-lake-10nm-ice-lake-tiger-lake/

If that's even close to accurate, I'm either just going to go ahead and get a i9-9900k, or wait a month and see what AMD comes up with. 

What would you do if you were me?  What motherboard would I need to get with the 9900k to support all of what the H500M has to offer?  I definitely want the best gaming chip first and foremost which the 9900K currently is.  And I know with all the video editing and encoding/converting, etc I'd appreciate going from 4 to 8 cores and 8 to 16 threads, but I'm curious with the value that AMD brings with the amount of cores/threads their CPU's offer if whatever they come out with can compete clock wise/gaming wise with the 9900k?

What would you do if you were me?

I had been basing a lot of what I'm doing on the fact that Intel would hit that late/holiday 2019 release window for 10nm but they are such a loose canon so who really knows.

Would you seriously consider AMD's 3000 series as a serious gamer?  I know you said you really like your 9900k.  Doing a lot of 4K editing and what not on the 7700K is rough sometimes.  I used to not do very much editing but I'm doing more and more various forms of it and it takes a while for the 7700K to render/export all these things.  How much faster is the 9900K in that regard?

Thanks.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 24, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »
Hopefully I'll be able to find it.  What do you think of this new report?

https://wccftech.com/intel-desktop-mobile-cpu-roadmap-leak-14nm-comet-lake-10nm-ice-lake-tiger-lake/

If that's even close to accurate, I'm either just going to go ahead and get a i9-9900k, or wait a month and see what AMD comes up with. 

What would you do if you were me?  What motherboard would I need to get with the 9900k to support all of what the H500M has to offer?  I definitely want the best gaming chip first and foremost which the 9900K currently is.  And I know with all the video editing and encoding/converting, etc I'd appreciate going from 4 to 8 cores and 8 to 16 threads, but I'm curious with the value that AMD brings with the amount of cores/threads their CPU's offer if whatever they come out with can compete clock wise/gaming wise with the 9900k?

What would you do if you were me?

I had been basing a lot of what I'm doing on the fact that Intel would hit that late/holiday 2019 release window for 10nm but they are such a loose canon so who really knows.

Would you seriously consider AMD's 3000 series as a serious gamer?  I know you said you really like your 9900k.  Doing a lot of 4K editing and what not on the 7700K is rough sometimes.  I used to not do very much editing but I'm doing more and more various forms of it and it takes a while for the 7700K to render/export all these things.  How much faster is the 9900K in that regard?

Thanks.

We're just a few months away from Zen 2. I'd probably wait until then if I were you. Gaming performance should come close to the 9900K and video rendering will far surpass it on a dollar-per-dollar basis.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 24, 2019, 12:53:00 PM »
That won't be easy for me to do but I will try and wait that long.  Hopefully AMD comes out swinging.  I guess I'd be looking at the 3700X is I went the AMD route potentially?  And what do you think of that report?  It 'apparently' came from someone at Dell.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 01:03:06 PM by LongJon »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2019, 01:20:49 PM »
That won't be easy for me to do but I will try and wait that long.  Hopefully AMD comes out swinging.  I guess I'd be looking at the 3700X is I went the AMD route potentially?  And what do you think of that report?  It 'apparently' came from someone at Dell.

What do I make of the report? Intel is having a lot of trouble. But that's not "new" news. This will be AMD's best opportunity to overtake Intel in decades.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 25, 2019, 05:52:50 PM »

What do I make of the report? Intel is having a lot of trouble. But that's not "new" news. This will be AMD's best opportunity to overtake Intel in decades.

Yeah it really is baffling how they've managed their company these last 4-5 years.  It honestly doesn't make much sense.  I can't wrap my head around it.  I WANT to stay with Intel but I think a lot of my reasoning is because it's all I've ever had or know.  I'm hoping I'll be very satisfied if I go with the best AMD has to offer for 2019.  I know I've read reports that a lot of games/programs in the past haven't been well optimized for AMD.  I hope that starts to change if that's still a thing with AMD getting more momentum. 

Intel being down really just sucks for everyone regardless of what AMD is doing.  Yes it's a good thing AMD is stepping their game up and hopefully will capitalize on this opportunity, but I just think where Intel would be right now if they stayed on the trajectory they were on in 2013 ish.

I digress.  I'm more in the market to buy a processor right now than I've ever been and my options are limited at the moment.  Waste money (value wise) on a 9900k, or go AMD which I've never done before.  Makes me feel weird lol.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2019, 07:35:32 AM »
News flash: Samsung looks to be releasing a 970 Pro 2TB. This will likely be instead of the previously-announced 970 Evo Plus 2TB, and the reason is simple: Samsung can still price the 970 Pro model at the high end, as it faces no direct competition. I'd expect the price to come in at around $800.

I'll post again here when it arrives in the US market.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 26, 2019, 09:54:48 AM »
Son of a B.  My 970 Prob1Tb will be here in a few days.  Might have to ship it back now.  Thanks for letting me know.