Author Topic: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?  (Read 15088 times)

LongJon

• View Profile
New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?
« on: December 12, 2018, 11:33:43 PM »
Ari, I think the time has come (in the new 2-3 months anyways lol) for me to upgrade my PC.  Below I'll list my current PC and after that, I'll list what I want to upgrade to and get your thoughts on choosing/comparing certain parts:

My current PC:

Processor - i7 7700k

Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix Z270E Gaming

Graphics Card - EVGA GTX Geforce 1080 Ti FTW3

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3200 (runs at 3000mhz)

Power Supply - Corsair HXi Series HX1000i, 1000 watt

Storage - Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB
3TB Internal HDD

CPU Cooler - Corsair Hydro H105 Liquid Cooler
Bluray Drive
Windows 10
Mastercase Maker 5 Mid Tower

- - - -  -

What I want to upgrade to at the moment:

Processor = Intel i9-9900k

Motherboard = Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ULTRA

Graphics Card - 2080Ti (not sure which model yet, would love your thought on this)  I know a lot of the models aren't in stock and I'm on the list to be emailed/notified.  I'd like to stick with EVGA FTW3 so hopefully prices will drop soon when they become more available.

Storage - I want to go ALL SSD moving forward.  So I want to upgrade my current SSD and get rid of my HDD.
I want to go with the Samsung 970 Pro 1TB PCIe M.2 or the Samsung 970 EVO 2TB - NVMe PCIe M.2.

I'm leaning toward the 970 Non Pro because it's cheaper, and I want it in 2tb.  What are your thoughts on that?  Also I want 4tb of total internal storage SO I'm thinking about getting an additional 2TB via Samsung 860 Pro Sata III. 

So I'm either going to get a 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD plus the Sata III Samsung 970 Pro 2TB

OR

Just a 4TB Samsung 970 so I only will have one SSD.  What are your thoughts on that?

What all will I be able to keep from my current build?  Will I need to buy a new operating system (Win 10)?
I'll be able to keep my RAM, cooler, and power supply right?

Thanks for all your help.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New PC Build - Thoughts and What Can I Keep From Current Build?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:41:58 AM »
Welcome back, LongJon!

I'm happy to share my suggestions, but you've already got some pretty good ideas, so feel free to take or leave my advice!

(1) CPU: good choice. The only major upgrade from a 7700K is the Intel Core i9-9900K, and I'd suggest you grab it right now from Amazon because it's 5% off with the coupon on the site!

(2) Motherboard: there are a few good choices in the $200-$300 price range. I really think Gigabyte provides the best value right now, and the Z390 Aorus Ultra gets you a ton of great features at a good price. The most important for a 9900K, and I mean this very seriously, is the power/VRM section. The 9900K is essentially a HEDT CPU being marketed as a mainstream processor, and it's already killing mid-range Z390 boards in published reviews. That's simply shocking, and I wouldn't be surprised if Intel gets some blowback from motherboard manufacturers on this. Anyway, unlike it previous generations, you simply CANNOT skimp on a motherboard if you're using the 9900K. I wouldn't recommend any board under $200 for it, and you actually do have to look up specs on the power phases to know which ones to get that are OVER $200.

(3) GPU: you might not want to hear this, but now is not the time to upgrade from a 1080 Ti to a 2080 Ti. They are simply too expensive. You're talking a 30% performance boost for an 80% price increase. That's why TBG is sitting on its liquid-cooled 1080 Ti for its benchmarking rig. Wait until they're available for $1,200 or below, which will probably be in February.

(4) SSDs: first of all, yes, ditch the hard drive for sure, but please don't toss that 850 Evo 1TB. It's a great drive!!! Unless you're going to give it to a friend or family member, I'd suggest pairing it up in this fashion: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB as your main OS and app drive, and then an 860 Evo 2TB for games. You can keep the 850 Evo 1TB in there for media or other lower-tier uses. I like this solution A LOT more than a single 860 Evo 4TB, which is more expensive than buying a 970 Pro 1TB and 860 Evo 2TB, and will greatly sacrifice random read speed that's important to an OS. By the way, I no longer recommend the 970 Evo - if you want to save a bit of money, go for the new XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB on OS duty at $215. It's much faster than the 970 Evo.

(5) Other stuff: Your case, power supply, and OS can all stay, but make sure to sign in with a Microsoft account to register Win10 to your e-mail address, otherwise it will balk at being loaded onto a new motherboard. With that said, there is one more thing you really need to upgrade: the cooler. The H105 is powerful, but it's really loud, and newer designs have greatly surpassed its capabilities. Because your case won't fit a 280mm cooler in an ideal orientation, I'd suggest a really good 240mm cooler, like the Thermaltake Floe 240mm. If you're open to getting a slightly larger case, you could jump up to the 280mm version of that cooler, which is even better when using a 9900K. I'd suggest the Cooler Master H500M. I realize that makes the upgrade more complicated, and you invested in a nice case already, so you'll need to make the call on that. By the way, I don't like either Cooler Master's or Corsair's current liquid cooler lineup. They're just not good enough, frankly.

One last thing - is there a reason you run your 3200MHz memory at 3000MHz? Some stability problem perhaps? Hopefully with the new system you'll be able to run it at its full speed. It's still VERY capable RAM.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:39:30 PM by Ari Altman »

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 05:30:04 PM »
Welcome back, LongJon!

I'm happy to share my suggestions, but you've already got some pretty good ideas, so feel free to take or leave my advice!

(1) CPU: good choice. The only major upgrade from a 7700K is the Intel Core i9-9900K, and I'd suggest you grab it right now from Amazon because it's 5% off with the coupon on the site!

(2) Motherboard: there are a few good choices in the $200-$300 price range. I really think Gigabyte provides the best value right now, and the Z390 Aorus Ultra gets you a ton of great features at a good price. The most important for a 9900K, and I mean this very seriously, is the power/VRM section. The 9900K is essentially a HEDT CPU being marketed as a mainstream processor, and it's already killing mid-range Z390 boards in published reviews. That's simply shocking, and I wouldn't be surprised if Intel gets some blowback from motherboard manufacturers on this. Anyway, unlike it previous generations, you simply CANNOT skimp on a motherboard if you're using the 9900K. I wouldn't recommend any board under $200 for it, and you actually do have to look up specs on the power phases to know which ones to get that are OVER $200.

(3) GPU: you might not want to hear this, but now is not the time to upgrade from a 1080 Ti to a 2080 Ti. They are simply too expensive. You're talking a 30% performance boost for an 80% price increase. That's why TBG is sitting on its liquid-cooled 1080 Ti for its benchmarking rig. Wait until they're available for $1,200 or below, which will probably be in February.

(4) SSDs: first of all, yes, ditch the hard drive for sure, but please don't toss that 850 Evo 1TB. It's a great drive!!! Unless you're going to give it to a friend or family member, I'd suggest pairing it up in this fashion: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB as your main OS and app drive, and then an 860 Evo 2TB for games. You can keep the 850 Evo 1TB in there for media or other lower-tier uses. I like this solution A LOT more than a single 860 Evo 4TB, which is more expensive than buying a 970 Pro 1TB and 860 Evo 2TB, and will greatly sacrifice random read speed that's important to an OS. By the way, I no longer recommend the 970 Evo - if you want to save a bit of money, go for the new XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB on OS duty at $215. It's much faster than the 970 Evo.

(5) Other stuff: Your case, power supply, and OS can all stay, but make sure to sign in with a Microsoft account to register Win10 to your e-mail address, otherwise it will balk at being loaded onto a new motherboard. With that said, there is one more thing you really need to upgrade: the cooler. The H105 is powerful, but it's really loud, and newer designs have greatly surpassed its capabilities. Because your case won't fit a 280mm cooler in an ideal orientation, I'd suggest a really good 240mm cooler, like the Thermaltake Floe 240mm. If you're open to getting a slightly larger case, you could jump up to the 280mm version of that cooler, which is even better when using a 9900K. I'd suggest the Cooler Master H500M. I realize that makes the upgrade more complicated, and you invested in a nice case already, so you'll need to make the call on that. By the way, I don't like either Cooler Master's or Corsair's current liquid cooler lineup. They're just not good enough, frankly.

One last thing - is there a reason you run your 3200MHz memory at 3000MHz? Some stability problem perhaps? Hopefully with the new system you'll be able to run it at its full speed. It's still VERY capable RAM.

Thanks for the detailed feeback.  Yeah I was going to give the 850 Evo to my parents desktop because the Crucial 500gb ssd on their build is about to fill up.  How much of a gap is there between the 860 Evo and 860 Pro?  It's amazing that on Amazon right now that is a $200 difference.  I guess at this point I'd probably go with the 970 Pro 1TB and 860 Evo 2TB which would give me 3 overall.  I'd like 4 but I can always add more later and by the time they fill up (couple years) who knows how much more storage will be available/affordable by then.

I really like that case you mentioned.  The case I have is solid all around but I like the one you mentioned has 4 USB3.0's as well as a USB3.1 Type C.  I like the layout of it too.  Not to mention I'd be able to fit the bigger cooler you mentioned.  Could you link the cooler again?  That link above didn't work.

I don't mind waiting on the 2080 Ti because I agree, it's just too far out there right now price wise.  And on a separate note, I saw some leaks yesterday about Intel talking about Sunny Cove processors (10nm?) coming out in the second half of 2019...  So according to that rumor they are about 10-11 months away give or take?  Do you think they'll actually hit that time table?  I am considering waiting on that..

So as it stands right now I'd get:

New case
i9-9900k
Motherboard
2 new SSD's
New cooler

So that's like $1,700.  However I think I'd be able to get $500 or maybe a little more for my own 7700k, motherboard, cooler, etc on ebay so at least it mitigates that a bit.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 05:40:00 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 05:52:50 PM »
Here's the link to the Thermaltake Floe 240mm. But if you end up going with the Cooler Master H500M, then you want the Thermaltake Floe 280mm.

As for SSDs, if you'll be giving away the 850 Evo 1TB and want at least 3TB of storage, then pick up the 970 Pro 1TB PCIe M.2 (which is a lot better than the 970 Evo 1TB), along with the 860 Evo 2TB SATA M.2 for bulk storage. Note that I suggest the M.2 drive here rather than 2.5" just to keep the build as sleek as possible. The Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra has 3 M.2 slots (the top two of which support SATA), so you'll still have one free to add another M.2 drive in the future. Make sure not to buy the 860 Pro 2TB - it's a total joke. More expensive than the 970 Pro 2TB, which could run circles around it (not that you need the speed for a secondary drive, though).

The total comes to $1765:
(1) CPU: $509 (if you buy during the 5% sale!)
(2) MB: $240
(3) Case: $200 ($190 with current 5% sale)
(4) 280mm Cooler: $148
(5) 970 Pro 1TB: $378
(6) 860 Evo 2TB: $300

Be forewarned, it would take a miracle to get $500 for your old gear. I'd guess you might pull in $300, but it would take some work. Only the 7700K actually has any resale value. I should know, I just sold one today!

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 06:32:38 PM »
I see that cooler and case/motherboard are all about RGB, which I personally don't care for.  I wish they sold a cheaper version (that still looks the same and has all the same ports) without RGB, but I guess I don't have to use/activate RGB so it really isn't a big deal.

And I was thinking I'd get close to $500 back because my case is for sale on eBay for around $200.  Even if I on only got $150, According to eBay I'd get around $100 maybe a little less, maybe a little more for my motherboard.  And then you throw in the 7700k then who knows.  What did you get for yours that you sold and what did you upgrade to?

When I sold my last motherboard that I had with my first build which was the i7 5820k I believe, the motherboard sold for like $120 if I remember right. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 09:01:44 PM »
I see that cooler and case/motherboard are all about RGB, which I personally don't care for.  I wish they sold a cheaper version (that still looks the same and has all the same ports) without RGB, but I guess I don't have to use/activate RGB so it really isn't a big deal.

And I was thinking I'd get close to $500 back because my case is for sale on eBay for around $200.  Even if I on only got $150, According to eBay I'd get around $100 maybe a little less, maybe a little more for my motherboard.  And then you throw in the 7700k then who knows.  What did you get for yours that you sold and what did you upgrade to?

When I sold my last motherboard that I had with my first build which was the i7 5820k I believe, the motherboard sold for like $120 if I remember right.

If you don't like RGB, you should probably just stick with your case and cooler. The case is excellent, and the cooler will perform fine. If the noise hasn't bothered you up until now, then it's not an issue. It uses a thick radiator that is actually pretty effective, but requires high-pressure airflow to work, which is why it's a bit loud.

As for selling gear, the issue is twofold:
(1) The Z270 chipset is obsolete. It has no resale value. When you sold the 5820K, its chipset was still current. The only potential buyers of a 7700K are people who already have a Z170 or Z270 motherboard and want to upgrade to the best CPU ever offered on that platform. You can't sell the motherboard.

(2) Selling cases is a surefire way to lose money. Shipping an average-sized case costs a minimum of $70, and no one will pay more than 50% of original retail for a case, since they don't wear well (get full of dust, scratched, bent, etc.). Your Maker 5 case originally sold for $220, was eventually discounted to $170, and an equivalent case today would cost about $140. So maybe you could sell it for $100, netting $30 for your time and trouble.

Anyway, you can always try your luck on eBay, but just because something is listed for a certain amount doesn't mean it will sell.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 06:05:27 PM »
I know you recommend waiting on the pricing to go down, but what 2080Ti do you recommend?  I love EVGA.  And I really feel like I have the best version of the 1080 Ti with the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 with it's triple fan cooling system and overclockability. 

Also are you saying the read/write times are slower on SSD's that have more than 1 or 2 TB's?  Why is that?  For instance the same SSD with 4 tb is slower than that same SSD that comes in a 1 or 2tb option?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 06:22:13 PM »
I know you recommend waiting on the pricing to go down, but what 2080Ti do you recommend?  I love EVGA.  And I really feel like I have the best version of the 1080 Ti with the EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 with it's triple fan cooling system and overclockability. 

Also are you saying the read/write times are slower on SSD's that have more than 1 or 2 TB's?  Why is that?  For instance the same SSD with 4 tb is slower than that same SSD that comes in a 1 or 2tb option?

What you want is the brand-new EVGA RTX 2080 Ti 11GB Ultra XC2, available to ship from B&H Photo Video on Monday. I talked to EVGA specifically about the new XC2, and it's a huge improvement on the original. You're getting the iCX cooler with 9 temperature sensors and upgrade hardware, for the same price as the original XC2. And while the XC2 isn't a triple-fan cooler like the FTW3, it is a triple-slot cooler, and honestly, this is what makes the biggest difference - you get the ultra-thick heatsink that really drives the temperatures lower. If you really wanted something better (and more expensive), skip the FTW3 and get the new XC Hybrid Liquid-Cooled RTX 2080 Ti, which will hopefully start shipping in early January. Water beats air every single time. I wouldn't bother with the FTW3 now that the Hybrid has been announced.

As for SSDs, there is no 4TB PCIe SSD. If you want 4TB, you get a slower drive, i.e., the 860 Evo 4TB. The biggest PCIe drives are 2TB (specifically the 970 Evo 2TB).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 07:55:35 PM by Ari Altman »

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 06:48:00 PM »

What you want is the brand-new EVGA RTX 2080 Ti 11GB Ultra XC2, available to ship from B&H Photo Video on Monday. I talked to EVGA specifically about the new XC2, and it's a huge improvement on the original. You're getting the iCX cooler with 9 temperature sensors and upgrade hardware, for the same price as the original XC2. And while the XC2 isn't a triple-fan cooler like the FTW3, it is a triple-slot cooler, and honestly, this is what makes the biggest difference - you get the ultra-thick heatsink that really drives the temperatures lower. If you really wanted something better (and more expensive), skip the FTW3 and get the new XC Hybrid Liquid-Cooled RTX 2080 Ti, which will hopefully start shipping in early January. Water beats air every single time. I wouldn't bother with the FTW3 now that the Hybrid has been announced.

As for SSDs, there is no 4TB PCIe SSD. If you want 4TB, you get a slower drive, i.e., the 860 Evo 4TB. The biggest PCIe drives are 2TB (specifically the 970 Evo 2TB).

That second link for the water cooled 2080 ti said invalid URL.  I have zero experience with water cooling and it scares the crap out of me.  What all has to be done to accomodate a water cooled card?  And I may just go with that XC2 when I decide to upgrade. 

I know there's no 4TB PCIE NVMe SSD's, I was referring back to the 860 or 860 pro or similar SSD's.. Is there any difference speed wise depending on how much storage space (TB) you get?  Ditto for 1tb vs 2tb for a NVMe PCIE ssd?  Basically what I'm deciding on for this future build is getting a NVMe 1tb 970 Pro for the OS/games/media etc and then getting a 860 TB or 860 4tb. 

Or the NVMe 1tb Pro and a 2tb NVMe for the rest of the storage needs.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 07:55:48 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 08:12:35 PM »
Water-cooled GPUs are actually pretty easy to setup, easier in fact than liquid CPU coolers, because they are already attached. I fixed the link above, and here it is again. You can't actually order it yet, but it's coming next month, most likely. The advantage of the FTW3 is that it will be quieter at idle, the advantage of the liquid-cooled model is that it's quieter at load while also being way cooler, meaning maximum boost all the time.

In terms of SSDs, you actually typically pick up some extra speed with larger models, up to a limit. The 1TB models usually max out the potential speed, and 2TB drives will match them, or in some cases might be a bit slower, but just on paper, nothing you'd notice. If all your OS, games and media will sit on the 970 Pro, it seems the secondary drive won't need exceptional speed, so save some money and go for the 860 Evo 2TB. It's insanely cheap right now - as recently as this past May it was still $650. At $300 it's an easy purchase.

By the way, you asked a few posts back what I was selling my 7700K for. Well, I'm typing on the new system now. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K
MB: Asus Z390 Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi
RAM: Corsair 4x8GB Vengeance RGB DDR4-3000
GPU: Liquid-cooled EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
SSD #1: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2
SSD #2: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2
SSD #3: Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5"
Case: SilverStone PM01 RGB
PSU: EVGA 1000 P2
Cooler: Reeven Naia 240mm Liquid Cooler

It's working great right now, had an easy auto-overclock to 5GHz simply by using the XMP profile, Asus Multi-Core Enhancement, and a power increase to 170% (by default, Asus conforms to the 95W power limit that significantly throttles the 9900K).

After CES, I'll be doing a full writeup (and possibly a build video) on this system, rebuilding the system using the best new case/PSU/cooler combo I get offered by the case manufacturers I'm speaking with: Cooler Master, Corsair, Phanteks, SilverStone, and Thermaltake. From my point of view, these are the only serious contenders in the high-end market today, so it's awesome they'll all be at CES!

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 10:44:03 AM »
Water-cooled GPUs are actually pretty easy to setup, easier in fact than liquid CPU coolers, because they are already attached. I fixed the link above, and here it is again. You can't actually order it yet, but it's coming next month, most likely. The advantage of the FTW3 is that it will be quieter at idle, the advantage of the liquid-cooled model is that it's quieter at load while also being way cooler, meaning maximum boost all the time.

In terms of SSDs, you actually typically pick up some extra speed with larger models, up to a limit. The 1TB models usually max out the potential speed, and 2TB drives will match them, or in some cases might be a bit slower, but just on paper, nothing you'd notice. If all your OS, games and media will sit on the 970 Pro, it seems the secondary drive won't need exceptional speed, so save some money and go for the 860 Evo 2TB. It's insanely cheap right now - as recently as this past May it was still $650. At $300 it's an easy purchase.

By the way, you asked a few posts back what I was selling my 7700K for. Well, I'm typing on the new system now. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K
MB: Asus Z390 Maximus XI Hero Wi-Fi
RAM: Corsair 4x8GB Vengeance RGB DDR4-3000
GPU: Liquid-cooled EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid
SSD #1: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2
SSD #2: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2
SSD #3: Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5"
Case: SilverStone PM01 RGB
PSU: EVGA 1000 P2
Cooler: Reeven Naia 240mm Liquid Cooler

It's working great right now, had an easy auto-overclock to 5GHz simply by using the XMP profile, Asus Multi-Core Enhancement, and a power increase to 170% (by default, Asus conforms to the 95W power limit that significantly throttles the 9900K).

After CES, I'll be doing a full writeup (and possibly a build video) on this system, rebuilding the system using the best new case/PSU/cooler combo I get offered by the case manufacturers I'm speaking with: Cooler Master, Corsair, Phanteks, SilverStone, and Thermaltake. From my point of view, these are the only serious contenders in the high-end market today, so it's awesome they'll all be at CES!

I'm waiting on CES before I make some serious purchases.  I want to see if the brands you mentioned above have anything new/better to offer. 

When do you think the prices of the 2080 Ti will reach MSRP or normal status? 

For the 2080 Ti Hybrid Card - What all is entailed in the build process?  Do you just need the cooler you recommended for it? 

I'm also glad to hear you like your 9900k.  I know it isn't the best value CPU by a long shot, but it WILL be what I go with when I do upgrade assuming I don't wait for Intel's 10nm processors.  Speaking of that, do you really believe they'll see the light of day in 2019? 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 12:14:35 PM »

I'm waiting on CES before I make some serious purchases.  I want to see if the brands you mentioned above have anything new/better to offer. 

When do you think the prices of the 2080 Ti will reach MSRP or normal status? 

For the 2080 Ti Hybrid Card - What all is entailed in the build process?  Do you just need the cooler you recommended for it? 

I'm also glad to hear you like your 9900k.  I know it isn't the best value CPU by a long shot, but it WILL be what I go with when I do upgrade assuming I don't wait for Intel's 10nm processors.  Speaking of that, do you really believe they'll see the light of day in 2019?

The 2080 Ti Hybrid is pretty easy to install, just a bit more of a handful than a standard air-cooled card, as you have to hold the radiator while you're mounting the GPU or vice versa, so you don't scratch up the interior of your case of the card itself. But the liquid is all well-contained, so you don't actually have to worry about that.

As for when the 2080 Ti will return to normal pricing, well, a minimum of $1,300 is the new normal, despite the 2080 Ti being launched at "$1,000". With the RTX Titan coming in at $2,500 (and offering at best 10% more performance), I'm guessing we will NEVER see $1,000 2080 Ti cards, period. That would be way too close in price to all the $800+ RTX 2080 cards. Nvidia has definitely pushed prices up this time around. We'll see if it pays off for them in the long run.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 02:53:31 PM by Ari Altman »

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 07:16:26 AM »
Would getting a 2080 Ti bottleneck my 7700k on 2560x1440p gaming?  That's what I game at with every game because of my monitor.  I'm wondering if it would even be worth it to upgrade to a 2080 Ti and then upgrade processor later on when 10nm comes out or something? 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 08:10:35 AM »
Would getting a 2080 Ti bottleneck my 7700k on 2560x1440p gaming?  That's what I game at with every game because of my monitor.  I'm wondering if it would even be worth it to upgrade to a 2080 Ti and then upgrade processor later on when 10nm comes out or something?

So you're asking whether the 7700K would bottleneck the 2080 Ti (the 7700K is the slower component here). The answer is going to be very game specific. In some games (ones that don't use more than four cores), the 2080 Ti will run as fast on an overclocked 7700K as it would with a 9900K.

With that said, there are games that won't work as well. Remember, at 1440p, a 2080 Ti is probably bottlenecked by all CPUs to a certain degree, and any modern game that uses more than four cores will work more efficiently on a newer Intel processor with more physical cores. I've found that the Battlefield engine works quite poorly on a quad-core, for example, which seriously bottlenecks a 1080 Ti.

My personal opinion is that at 1440p, there isn't a strong argument for buying a 2080 Ti, especially if you have a G-Sync monitor.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 03:50:49 PM »
Guess I should probably wait until I upgrade to one of those 4k 144hz HDR monitors then.  I bet in about a year there will be plenty?