Author Topic: October 2018 Budget $750 to Present (RAM Speed)  (Read 46 times)

4bRigger

• View Profile
October 2018 Budget $750 to Present (RAM Speed)
« on: November 30, 2018, 04:53:52 AM »
Hi,

Iíve built the $750 Budget build from October 2018 and in the guide it states that RAM at 2400mHz is the fastest that the system can support.

However, Iíve noticed on the motherboard specifications that 2666mHz is supported.
Was just curious if there were a bottleneck such as the chipset that wouldnít allow for faster clocked RAM or if maybe this was an oversight?

Iíve loved the performance and value of the system itís ran AAA 1080p titles wonderfully. The event that sparked my intrigue regarding this inquiry was when I was playing AoE2 on a Ludakris size map and it started to get really lagged; which is expected with that type of non-optimized bygone game.

So I was looking into doubling my RAM capacity to see if it might resolve my AoE2 lag and noticed patriot has essentially an identical 2x4Gb kit but clocked at 2666mHz. So having remembered the guide stating that only 2400 MHz being supported I checked the motherboard (B360M D3H) just for posterity and have since discovered the Mobo supports 2666mHz.

So just curious, is there an ancillary factor Iím not aware of that limits the RAM speed to 2400mHz? Or can I upgrade for not only size; but also some speed?

Thanks! I love TBG. My last three builds were all based on TBG guides and as such have always been successful.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: October 2018 Budget $750 to Present (RAM Speed)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 08:10:15 AM »
Hi,

Iíve built the $750 Budget build from October 2018 and in the guide it states that RAM at 2400mHz is the fastest that the system can support.

However, Iíve noticed on the motherboard specifications that 2666mHz is supported.
Was just curious if there were a bottleneck such as the chipset that wouldnít allow for faster clocked RAM or if maybe this was an oversight?

Iíve loved the performance and value of the system itís ran AAA 1080p titles wonderfully. The event that sparked my intrigue regarding this inquiry was when I was playing AoE2 on a Ludakris size map and it started to get really lagged; which is expected with that type of non-optimized bygone game.

So I was looking into doubling my RAM capacity to see if it might resolve my AoE2 lag and noticed patriot has essentially an identical 2x4Gb kit but clocked at 2666mHz. So having remembered the guide stating that only 2400 MHz being supported I checked the motherboard (B360M D3H) just for posterity and have since discovered the Mobo supports 2666mHz.

So just curious, is there an ancillary factor Iím not aware of that limits the RAM speed to 2400mHz? Or can I upgrade for not only size; but also some speed?

Thanks! I love TBG. My last three builds were all based on TBG guides and as such have always been successful.

Welcome to the Forum, 4bRigger! Sounds like you've been hanging around TBG a long time if you've built three PCs using the TBG guides!

So, there is another factor that determines the RAM speed limit: the CPU. As you can see on Intel's spec sheet for the Core i3-8100, the maximum RAM speed it supports is DDR4-2400. To achieve the maximum DDR4-2666 speed that the motherboard supports, you'd have to be using a Core i5 or above.