Author Topic: UPS's / Power Bars  (Read 130 times)

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
UPS's / Power Bars
« on: November 18, 2018, 08:25:02 AM »
Good afternoon,

I am planning on purchasing a new PC in the coming months and have been doing some research on UPS's and power bars.  I am having a little problem on my computer placement and power.  There is realistically only one spot I want to put the PC, the problem lies in the wall plugs I am using.  Every so often, when the light in the washroom gets turned on or off, the tv flickers.  Aside from getting in touch with my landlord and getting an electrician over, I was wondering if any UPS/ Power bars on the market can deal with the issue by regulating the power (or something along those lines).  I am thinking either the wall plugs are on the same circuit, or the  amp for the washroom light/fan is sending some sort of interference.  I have not really seen any discussion on these items on the website, and would like some input if this is anyone's area of expertise.  If not, maybe some direction on where I should look for some more information.

I would also like any recommendation on any UPS's/power bars.  Money is of no importance.  These are some of the ones I have been looking at.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tripp-Lite-Protector-INSURANCE-ISOBAR8ULTRA/dp/B0000511U7?tag=tomshardware_forum_ca_vgl-20
https://www.amazon.com/APC-Back-UPS-Battery-Protector-BR1000G/dp/B003Y24DEU/?tag=tomsguide_forum_vgl-20&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1500AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000FBK3QK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1533637085&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=cyberpower+ups&psc=1

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: UPS's / Power Bars
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2018, 07:29:40 PM »
It sounds like the circuit is getting overloaded. This can happen easily with something like a refrigerator on the same circuit as sensitive electronics, but it's a bit odd that a bathroom fan would do it.

In any event, unless it's actually lasting long enough to trip a UPS into running on battery power, I'm not sure a UPS will do much good. Instead, I'd recommend you try a line voltage regulator, like the APC Line-R 1200VA. It's not a battery backup, but that's not what you need. You just need something to smooth out surges and dips in your circuit.

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 03:25:02 AM »
Once again Ari you are a great source of information, my many thanks for the reply.  Is the unit you linked (or any similar)  good enough to protect a high end PC, TV, and A/V receiver?  Or should I purchase something else to plug into the line conditioner? 

On a side note, I purchased the LG OLED B7 based on your recommendation and couldn't be happier.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 07:38:57 AM »
Once again Ari you are a great source of information, my many thanks for the reply.  Is the unit you linked (or any similar)  good enough to protect a high end PC, TV, and A/V receiver?  Or should I purchase something else to plug into the line conditioner? 

On a side note, I purchased the LG OLED B7 based on your recommendation and couldn't be happier.

Yes, that line conditioner is good enough for high-end electronics. In fact, it's typically purchased by users of ultra-high-end end audio or studio equipment to eliminate interference.

And glad to hear you like the OLED!

NikolaZdravkovic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 12:32:42 PM »
One more question Ari.  Is there a unit that has more than 4 plugs?  Ideally I would like to plug in TV, PC, A/V Receiver, Modem for the 4 plugs.  I may want some wiggle room to add more electronics as needed.  Maybe Furman (if that's the right name) or this brand has a 1200va with 6 plugs?  Are there any other things I should be looking at before I purchase, like differences in surge protection numbers, etc?

Thanks so much!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 02:26:23 PM »
One more question Ari.  Is there a unit that has more than 4 plugs?  Ideally I would like to plug in TV, PC, A/V Receiver, Modem for the 4 plugs.  I may want some wiggle room to add more electronics as needed.  Maybe Furman (if that's the right name) or this brand has a 1200va with 6 plugs?  Are there any other things I should be looking at before I purchase, like differences in surge protection numbers, etc?

Thanks so much!

The best approach may be to use multiple line conditioners on separate outlets. I'm not sure if there are models with more plug receptacles. And I'm honestly not an expert on the ratings of these devices, just know that they exist!