Author Topic: Noise Level of November 2018 Home Office Build  (Read 311 times)

Julius S

• View Profile
Re: Noise Level of November 2018 Home Office Build
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2018, 11:10:29 PM »
For the graphic card, do I get DDR4 low profile passive, low profile, low profile-passive, or single slot?

JJS

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 07:34:01 AM »
I have definitely isolated my noise to the large fan in the front. The problem is that the exhaust fan; the smaller 80-mm on the back of the PC is plugged into the motherboard and can be controlled. The other one is just plugged in to a power source and is running full blast. There is only two fan plug-ins on the motherboard; CPU and system fan. So I have a couple of questions. The small fan has a thermal wire, should I run that fan straight to a power source and trust the sensor wire to do the job and vary the speed as needed and then run the big fan to the system fan connector? Or I see they make a add-on computer fan controller which one could adjust the speed to whatever they want. Or should I consider getting a Noctua fan instead of the Artic Low Noise fan that I bought? Maybe I'm completely missing something here, is there an easier solution?   

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 07:55:11 AM »
For the graphic card, do I get DDR4 low profile passive, low profile, low profile-passive, or single slot?

I think the DDR5 passive is the best for you. The DDR4 version is a rip-off. Total bait-and-switch by Nvidia, releasing the DDR4 version for a few dollars less, despite it offering about half the performance. If you drop any lower than the GT 1030 GDDR5, you'll actually end up with worse graphics performance than what the built-in video of the AMD 2200G or 2400G would have provided.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 09:03:53 AM »
I have definitely isolated my noise to the large fan in the front. The problem is that the exhaust fan; the smaller 80-mm on the back of the PC is plugged into the motherboard and can be controlled. The other one is just plugged in to a power source and is running full blast. There is only two fan plug-ins on the motherboard; CPU and system fan. So I have a couple of questions. The small fan has a thermal wire, should I run that fan straight to a power source and trust the sensor wire to do the job and vary the speed as needed and then run the big fan to the system fan connector? Or I see they make a add-on computer fan controller which one could adjust the speed to whatever they want. Or should I consider getting a Noctua fan instead of the Artic Low Noise fan that I bought? Maybe I'm completely missing something here, is there an easier solution?

Oh, there's a very easy solution to this: a fan splitter! In fact, Rosewill makes a case fan splitter, which you can find at this link. You'd just hook up both the front and rear fans to it, and then plug them together into the available motherboard header. Note that the RPM will only be read on one of the fans, and the 80mm fans will have a much higher RPM rating than the 120mm fan, so it will spin faster at any given voltage. But both will be controlled by the motherboard, so it will take care of that problem for the front fan.

Julius S

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 05:12:26 PM »
Hi, Ari. I got my graphics card today and somehow got the PC to work. I'm using my new build for this post actually. Thank you for everything.

But I do have one issue I couldn't troubleshoot. The system fans that came with the Phanteks P400S don't work. I tried finding the power cables to attach them to the motherboard, but couldn't. Can you point me to the right direction please? Thanks.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2018, 05:31:46 PM »
Hi, Ari. I got my graphics card today and somehow got the PC to work. I'm using my new build for this post actually. Thank you for everything.

But I do have one issue I couldn't troubleshoot. The system fans that came with the Phanteks P400S don't work. I tried finding the power cables to attach them to the motherboard, but couldn't. Can you point me to the right direction please? Thanks.

Glad you got it working. I told you having a video card would help!

As for the fans, the Phanteks P400S includes a 3-speed fan controller. You'll need to make sure it's properly hooked up, and then you'll be able to control the fans from the front panel. It probably requires a power cable being connected to the controller.

JJS

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 08:00:53 AM »
Thanks for your advice on the fan splitter, best $5 I've spent in a long time. The system is so quiet now it's practically inaudible; at first I thought maybe the fans weren't working at all. I went in to the motherboard settings and "auto-tuned" the fans to ramp the fans up as the demands on the system increases. Fantastic build for the money, thanks for doing the research. Happy Holidays...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 10:10:18 AM »
Thanks for your advice on the fan splitter, best $5 I've spent in a long time. The system is so quiet now it's practically inaudible; at first I thought maybe the fans weren't working at all. I went in to the motherboard settings and "auto-tuned" the fans to ramp the fans up as the demands on the system increases. Fantastic build for the money, thanks for doing the research. Happy Holidays...

Glad the fan splitter solved the problem. Happy Holidays to you as well!