Author Topic: $500 mini ITX home theater questions  (Read 124 times)

harryjak

• View Profile
$500 mini ITX home theater questions
« on: November 12, 2018, 09:38:52 PM »
I am looking at the $500 mini itx home theater build. I am planning on using the VESA mountings to attach it to the back of a 43 HDMI screen

1. Will this allow the use of a slim line bluray drive?
2. Can you recommend a drive or should I go external.
3. Flirc will plug in OK?
4. Will the half high PCIE HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD PCI Express TV Tuner Card 1609 fit and work.
5. What 2.5 in HD do you recommend

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: $500 mini ITX home theater questions
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 10:19:05 PM »
I am looking at the $500 mini itx home theater build. I am planning on using the VESA mountings to attach it to the back of a 43 HDMI screen

1. Will this allow the use of a slim line bluray drive?
2. Can you recommend a drive or should I go external.
3. Flirc will plug in OK?
4. Will the half high PCIE HAUPPAUGE WinTV-quadHD PCI Express TV Tuner Card 1609 fit and work.
5. What 2.5 in HD do you recommend

Welcome to the Forum, harryjak!

You can use a slimline Blu-Ray drive with the In-Win 656 case. Unfortunately, the market today for optical drives is so small that there are very few to choose from. Most will probably have been pulled from laptops, or potentially refurbished. In any event, one model you can go for is the OSST 6x BD Burner. It should work well. The In-Win case includes the adapter you'll need to connect it. Note that the more expensive In-Win Chopin does not support optical drives.

The Flirc IR receiver will work with this system just like it would with any other. No problems there.

The Hauppauge 1609 will not fit. While the motherboard has a PCIe slot, bookshelf-class ITX cases do not provide space for a card to be installed.

For a 2.5" drive, I recommend the Seagate Firecuda Hybrid 2TB Drive. Inexpensive enough for mass storage of media, quick enough to run apps off of.