Author Topic: November 2018 $750 HTPC & first time builder  (Read 850 times)

marineris

• View Profile
Re: November 2018 $750 HTPC & first time builder
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2019, 12:37:15 PM »
OK thanks, Ari. Iíll look inside at around 3 months and see how it is.

On opening disk management, I was not expecting to see my 4TB HDD partitioned. https://ibb.co/Jy6yVTw 
Is this some factory preset? The "System Reserved" partition has 36MB of used space. Is it ok to just format the whole thing, wiping out all partitions?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 12:48:24 PM »
OK thanks, Ari. Iíll look inside at around 3 months and see how it is.

On opening disk management, I was not expecting to see my 4TB HDD partitioned. https://ibb.co/Jy6yVTw 
Is this some factory preset? The "System Reserved" partition has 36MB of used space. Is it ok to just format the whole thing, wiping out all partitions?

I believe that was created by the Windows 10 installation program. I doubt you'll be able to wipe it out. Just format the two unallocated partitions, and then attempt to combine them. 2TB is the default maximum because some format methods (and older operating systems) can't access more than that.

marineris

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 01:24:14 PM »

Iím quite sure I selected my 500GB SSD to install Windows to. Iím surprised it would even touch my HDD.

I was able to format one partition but it wonít let me do anything with the 2nd. The right-click menu is all greyed out (i.e. cannot format or delete), nor can I merge it with the formatted one (the Extend Volume option on the formatted oneís menu is also greyed out). Iíve searched for solutions, but none address this exact problem without doing a complete clean (and losing the 36MB System Reserved data). After all of the time spent looking into this, Iíd like to start from scratch as that may be quicker. Do you see a problem with this process:

1)   With the diskpart utility: clean the HDD (wipe out all partitions and data) and convert it to GPT (which I think fixes the 2TB cap/auto-created partition issue)
2)   format the HDD
3)   Reinstall Windows on the SSD (hopefully when it puts the System Reserved partition on the HDD, it will leave the rest alone. But even if it doesnít, the drive is already formatted and hopefully easier to work with)

Just to verify, the same Windows 10 product key will still work if I reinstall? I think as long as you have the same motherboard, you can reinstall as many times as you want?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 01:28:46 PM »
Just wipe the hard drive and skip the windows reinstall. You don't need to do that, but there does seem to be something wrong with the hard drive formatting.

And yes, the license would work if you tried to reinstall on the same system... in theory. But I've had this fail before, because of the very inaccurate hardware tagging system Microsoft uses. Best thing is to avoid reinstalling because there's a good chance you'll end up on the phone for an hour with Microsoft India's help desk.

marineris

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 03:14:30 PM »
I feared Windows actually needed whatever was in the System Reserved partition, so to avoid talking to India, I fixed it with software that let me keep the partition while converting the HDD to GPT and formatted the unallocated space. I had no problems while using the PC the next day or two. After not using it (but left it running) a few days after that, I turned the display on to see that it was asking for a boot disc! It mustíve, at some point, tried to reboot but it was not able to. That was a couple weeks ago and I have been too busy to think about it since, so just left it off.

I believe I have no choice but to re-install Windows from the CD. In case the HDD is still messed up, I will reformat it during the install (found a video how to do it) and I assume the SSD will be reformatted by just doing the install. I hope this fixes whatever problem occurred.

Hopefully itíll go smoothly and thankfully I haven't put a lot of time/energy into it beyond installing Windows and updating, but I would like to figure out the issue so it doesn't happen again after I load programs and media. Have you ever had this happen? Can you think of any other reason this has happened or how to prevent it happening again? In any case, I will test it out for a while and recreate the scenario it crashed on.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
I feared Windows actually needed whatever was in the System Reserved partition, so to avoid talking to India, I fixed it with software that let me keep the partition while converting the HDD to GPT and formatted the unallocated space. I had no problems while using the PC the next day or two. After not using it (but left it running) a few days after that, I turned the display on to see that it was asking for a boot disc! It mustíve, at some point, tried to reboot but it was not able to. That was a couple weeks ago and I have been too busy to think about it since, so just left it off.

I believe I have no choice but to re-install Windows from the CD. In case the HDD is still messed up, I will reformat it during the install (found a video how to do it) and I assume the SSD will be reformatted by just doing the install. I hope this fixes whatever problem occurred.

Hopefully itíll go smoothly and thankfully I haven't put a lot of time/energy into it beyond installing Windows and updating, but I would like to figure out the issue so it doesn't happen again after I load programs and media. Have you ever had this happen? Can you think of any other reason this has happened or how to prevent it happening again? In any case, I will test it out for a while and recreate the scenario it crashed on.

Sounds like your UEFI (BIOS) is trying to find the OS on your hard drive. You should go in to the UEFI by tapping delete during the boot process and find the option to select the boot sequence. I don't believe you need to reinstall Windows...yet.

marineris

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 05:04:32 PM »
Sounds like your UEFI (BIOS) is trying to find the OS on your hard drive. You should go in to the UEFI by tapping delete during the boot process and find the option to select the boot sequence. I don't believe you need to reinstall Windows...yet.

I believe my boot options are set up correctly:

Boot Option Priorities
Boot Option #1:   CT500MX500SSD4     (SSD where windows should be installed)
Boot Option #2:   HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40    (optical drive)

and under Hard Drive BBS Properties the SSD is #1 and the HDD is #2

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2019, 06:48:23 PM »

I believe my boot options are set up correctly:

Boot Option Priorities
Boot Option #1:   CT500MX500SSD4     (SSD where windows should be installed)
Boot Option #2:   HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH14NS40    (optical drive)

and under Hard Drive BBS Properties the SSD is #1 and the HDD is #2

Just reinstall. Windows 10 will clear this problem up during the process.