Author Topic: Nvidia Announced its Turing-based GPUs  (Read 2274 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Nvidia Announced its Turing-based GPUs
« on: August 20, 2018, 06:09:24 PM »
Get TBG's take on the big Turing announcement right here!

Abowman

• View Profile
Re: Nvidia Announced its Turing-based GPUs
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 09:01:22 AM »
These new cards are incredibly expensive and prices will be through the roof for at least 3 or 4 months of release (more probably). I just don't see them being a good buy at this time for the price increase, as you stated.

Buuuut, we can hope that the Pascal card's prices will drop significantly because of the release. I'm hoping to be in a good enough financial place to by a 1080 or 1080Ti for Black Friday at ultra low prices *fingers crossed*.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »
These new cards are incredibly expensive and prices will be through the roof for at least 3 or 4 months of release (more probably). I just don't see them being a good buy at this time for the price increase, as you stated.

Buuuut, we can hope that the Pascal card's prices will drop significantly because of the release. I'm hoping to be in a good enough financial place to by a 1080 or 1080Ti for Black Friday at ultra low prices *fingers crossed*.

I agree that Nvidia has really pushed prices up this generation. It knows AMD is quitting the GPU game.

With that said, I'd be careful about waiting until Black Friday to buy a Pascal GPU. Based on past GPU transitions, I'd bet that all Pascal GPUs will be sold out by early November. Remember, Nvidia has already ceased producing them.

bensrichards

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 11:09:50 AM »
Ouch.  It's hard for me to wrap my head around paying those kinds of premiums for incremental performance gains.  I will probably look for a good deal on a 1070ti or a 1080 instead.  I doubt 1080ti cards will drop to a price that would make it palatable for me given that my output demands are not that extreme, i.e., a 1080ti is hardly a necessity for me.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 12:09:55 PM »
Ouch.  It's hard for me to wrap my head around paying those kinds of premiums for incremental performance gains.  I will probably look for a good deal on a 1070ti or a 1080 instead.  I doubt 1080ti cards will drop to a price that would make it palatable for me given that my output demands are not that extreme, i.e., a 1080ti is hardly a necessity for me.

I think we'll see the 1080 hit $400, which will be a very good deal.

Note that pre-orders for third-party RTX cards are now up, and almost all are the same price or more than the Founders Edition, making the 2070 a $600+ card, the 2080 an $800+ card, and the 2080 Ti a $1,200+ card. The joy ride is over, Nvidia can now set any price it wants!

Jury-Pool-Reject

• Reading/Computers & PC Gaming/Tennis/NFL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 12:18:04 PM »
Summer of 2016 was the last rig I built... with a 1080-FE.

Thinking Spring/Summer of 2019 for an upgrade...or...

Wondering what the size specs are... I'm currently in a Mini-ITX 'NCase'. I have no room for a vid card that would be bigger. Looking like I go mid-size case for the next one.... 
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."   -Oscar Wilde

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 12:31:00 PM »
Summer of 2016 was the last rig I built... with a 1080-FE.

Thinking Spring/Summer of 2019 for an upgrade...or...

Wondering what the size specs are... I'm currently in a Mini-ITX 'NCase'. I have no room for a vid card that would be bigger. Looking like I go mid-size case for the next one....

You'll be able to fit the Nvidia Founders Edition cards in your chassis. The $600 RTX 2070 (which will likely be just a few percent faster) is 9" long, while the $800 RTX 2080 and $1,200 2080 Ti are 10.5" long. That's what your 1080 FE is. I'd say the only serious upgrade would be the 2080 Ti, which will be about 60% faster, while the RTX 2080 8GB will be about 30% faster, kind of like going to a GTX 1080 Ti today. I'd actually suggest you consider a closeout deal on an EVGA 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black, if you can find one. They're selling out fast!

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 09:23:37 AM »
I'm probably going to build a whole new rig, but in a mid-size case this time. Building my current Mini-ITX Ncase rig was hard for me in very tight quarters. I'm thinking Spring/2019... at that time I'll sell this rig except for the SSD.

With a new motherboard, cpu, memory, vid card, and power supply, if I just connected the existing SSD and booted, would all the new components get recognized?
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 01:41:53 PM »
Jury,

It would recognize everything, but windows will throw a warning that it's no longer licensed, unless you first log in with an online Microsoft login name on your current system, which will then license it to your login, rather than your motherboard. You'll of course also need new drivers, particularly for the motherboard.

By the way, there are small cases that aren't nearly as hard to use as the ncase. You can check back later on if you'd like ideas.

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 03:19:11 PM »
Thanks, Ari...

I just found this online also:

"....at the same time, its possible windows 10 will inactivate your install due to the motherboard being different. On current PC, have a look in settings/update & security/activation
If next to activation it says Windows is activated with a digital license then your licence is currently tied to the motherboard, you can create a MIcrosoft account if you don't have one now by clicking this link - https://account.microsoft.com/ - and then clicking add an account on activation page. If it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account, then your account is already linked to licence.

This page shows what you need to do to link old PC to a email address, and what to do on new PC to complete move - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-...the troubleshooter may fix it or you may need to contact Microsoft support to move the activation across. If you find you get errors and stuff, making sure your licence is linked to your account now will make it easier when you go to install win 10 again."

Yes, I would be interested in other cases...thanks.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 03:21:05 PM by Jury-Pool-Reject »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »
Thanks, Ari...

I just found this online also:

"....at the same time, its possible windows 10 will inactivate your install due to the motherboard being different. On current PC, have a look in settings/update & security/activation
If next to activation it says Windows is activated with a digital license then your licence is currently tied to the motherboard, you can create a MIcrosoft account if you don't have one now by clicking this link - https://account.microsoft.com/ - and then clicking add an account on activation page. If it says Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account, then your account is already linked to licence.

This page shows what you need to do to link old PC to a email address, and what to do on new PC to complete move - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-...the troubleshooter may fix it or you may need to contact Microsoft support to move the activation across. If you find you get errors and stuff, making sure your licence is linked to your account now will make it easier when you go to install win 10 again."

Yes, I would be interested in other cases...thanks.

Because I know you like high-quality materials, I'd suggest you consider the SilverStone FTZ01. It won't fit a liquid cooler, but that's not a big deal in my opinion. It looks (and feels) first-class due to its unibody aluminum shell. If you wanted more of a traditional tower-style chassis, have a look at some of the gorgeous stuff coming out of Phanteks. The Enthoo Evolv mATX in particular is stunning. You could just drop your ITX motherboard in either case and call it a day, but the Evolv can also accept mATX board is you want to upgrade.

Jury-Pool-Reject

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »
New article at Anand on the new nVidia video card lineup...

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13282/nvidia-turing-architecture-deep-dive

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 10:26:09 AM »
It's been pretty clear from the start that Turing is simply a re-brand of the compute-focused Volta, with compute assets repurposed for ray tracing. Whether this is the next logical step for gaming or just a hail Mary from Nvidia remains to be seen. One thing is for sure: it's making GPUs with equivalent performance in today's games more expensive.