Author Topic: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build  (Read 27059 times)

FarRock

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build
« Reply #135 on: February 16, 2019, 05:27:30 PM »
Soooo, apparently I forgot to order the graphics card.

Does this one work? It's $10 more than the one you posted but ships a day earlier.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphic-GV-N2060GAMING-OC-6GD/dp/B07MHSMY8P/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_3?keywords=Gigabyte+GeForce+RTX+2060+Windforce+OC+6G&qid=1550366674&s=gateway&sr=8-3-fkmrnull
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:33:53 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2019, 05:38:05 PM »
Soooo, apparently I forgot to order the graphics card.

Does this one work? It's $10 more than the one you posted but ships a day earlier.

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Graphic-GV-N2060GAMING-OC-6GD/dp/B07MHSMY8P/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_3?keywords=Gigabyte+GeForce+RTX+2060+Windforce+OC+6G&qid=1550366674&s=gateway&sr=8-3-fkmrnull

The good news is that you can actually build up the entire system without a video card, as it has built-in video. So you can get everything running if you'd like.

And yes, you can use that triple-fan Gigabyte RTX 2060. The 2060 doesn't really need that much cooling, but it looks nice, and also adds RGB lighting over the dual-fan RTX 2060 we previously discussed.

Cdog

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 08, 2019, 08:07:55 AM »
Hey guys,
First off thank you so much for putting all this information out and helping the newbies (like me) figure out how to build their own PC. My friend did this build last month and absolutely loves it. Im a broke college student living in Canada and this build hits my $1800 CAD budget perfectly. My only issue with this build is that i'm not terribly worried about having a quiet PC. The PC i have now is pretty outdated and when running Apex sounds like i'm starting a fighter jet engine. I always game with a headset on so i never hear it anyways (also have my mic sensitivity turned up so no one online can either).
My question to you is: are there any quiet parts you'd recommend swapping out for higher performance parts? of course they'd have to fit into the same budget though.

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 08, 2019, 08:36:30 AM »
Hey guys,
First off thank you so much for putting all this information out and helping the newbies (like me) figure out how to build their own PC. My friend did this build last month and absolutely loves it. Im a broke college student living in Canada and this build hits my $1800 CAD budget perfectly. My only issue with this build is that i'm not terribly worried about having a quiet PC. The PC i have now is pretty outdated and when running Apex sounds like i'm starting a fighter jet engine. I always game with a headset on so i never hear it anyways (also have my mic sensitivity turned up so no one online can either).
My question to you is: are there any quiet parts you'd recommend swapping out for higher performance parts? of course they'd have to fit into the same budget though.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum, Cdog! Glad to hear your friend is loving his US$1,250 build!

It sounds like you want to go with this build but optimize for performance rather than noise. If you wanted to stick to the current cost of the build, there are two thing I could recommend doing:

(1) First is swapping out the silent case for one with more airflow, like the excellent Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, which costs about CAD$10 more than the P400S listed in the guide. It will allow the graphics card to run cooler, and therefore boost to higher levels.

(2) To push your CPU to maximum boost, you could go with a liquid cooler, such as the excellent Corsair Hydro H60 120mm. It's again maybe CAD$10-$20 more than the air cooler listed in the guide (which currently seems to be in short supply on Amazon Canada, unfortunately). The H60 will be louder, but it has tremendous cooling capacity, and the Ryzen processor will boost higher automatically with better cooling.

Hope that helps - the combo of the Enthoo Pro M case and the H60 cooler would work perfectly together and would look really cool!

Cdog

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 11, 2019, 12:08:19 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum, Cdog! Glad to hear your friend is loving his US$1,250 build!

It sounds like you want to go with this build but optimize for performance rather than noise. If you wanted to stick to the current cost of the build, there are two thing I could recommend doing:

(1) First is swapping out the silent case for one with more airflow, like the excellent Phanteks Enthoo Pro M, which costs about CAD$10 more than the P400S listed in the guide. It will allow the graphics card to run cooler, and therefore boost to higher levels.

(2) To push your CPU to maximum boost, you could go with a liquid cooler, such as the excellent Corsair Hydro H60 120mm. It's again maybe CAD$10-$20 more than the air cooler listed in the guide (which currently seems to be in short supply on Amazon Canada, unfortunately). The H60 will be louder, but it has tremendous cooling capacity, and the Ryzen processor will boost higher automatically with better cooling.

Hope that helps - the combo of the Enthoo Pro M case and the H60 cooler would work perfectly together and would look really cool!

Thanks a lot Ari!
That looks really good, i plan on ordering everything by the end of this week.
I did have one last question for you, i'm thinking about switching to an Intel i5 instead. I know with the current motherboard it wont be compatible but if i switched to the $1500's build for motherboard and i5 would everything else be compatible as well?
These here:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HRZHJ6Z/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thtebusgu06-20&creative=330641&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07HRZHJ6Z&linkId=40284f9724bb64038f0a8f40063dc3fe
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HHLX1R8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

I know it pushes me a bit out of my price range but i think the switch to Intel would be worth it.
Let me know what you think,
Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 11, 2019, 12:25:50 PM »
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Thanks a lot Ari!
That looks really good, i plan on ordering everything by the end of this week.
I did have one last question for you, i'm thinking about switching to an Intel i5 instead. I know with the current motherboard it wont be compatible but if i switched to the $1500's build for motherboard and i5 would everything else be compatible as well?
These here:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HRZHJ6Z/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thtebusgu06-20&creative=330641&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B07HRZHJ6Z&linkId=40284f9724bb64038f0a8f40063dc3fe
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HHLX1R8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

I know it pushes me a bit out of my price range but i think the switch to Intel would be worth it.
Let me know what you think,
Thanks!

Hey again Cdog!

I was thinking about that switch to the 9600K for you, but had in mind the budget, and you do need to spend quite a bit more to get into the 9600K due to both the processor and motherboard costs. If you're OK with it, I do agree that the 9600K will give you better gaming performance. Note that this comes at the expense of overall CPU performance, which would be most noticeable in compression, encoding, conversion, as well as multi-tasking, which includes streaming while gaming. If you don't regularly do any of that, the 9600K is a good upgrade for a gaming-only build. You can just go with the Intel Core i5-9600K for CAD$402 and the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X for CAD$234 at Amazon.ca, or if you prefer the Core i5-9600K for CAD$350 from Newegg.ca and the Z390 Gaming X for CAD$190 from Newegg.ca. Everything else can stay the same, including the high-airflow case and cooler options I mentioned previously.

As an FYI, using any of the links above to make your purchase helps support this Forum. Thanks!

tjkuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2019, 09:48:28 AM »
Will this setup house a second SSD? I was thinking of buying two of the drives you speced, doing a dual 70:30 Windows10/Ubuntu OS install on one and using the second drive for data. Will this work?

Thanks in advance,

TJK

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2019, 11:17:49 AM »
Will this setup house a second SSD? I was thinking of buying two of the drives you speced, doing a dual 70:30 Windows10/Ubuntu OS install on one and using the second drive for data. Will this work?

Thanks in advance,

TJK

You can definitely add a second SSD to this system, but it needs to be a 2.5" SATA drive, as the motherboard featured in this build only has one M.2 slot.

For the main system drive, I'd actually suggest you get the Crucial P1 1TB, which has dropped in price significantly in the past week and will replace the Blue 3D drive in the guide shortly. It's much, much faster.

Your second drive can be any 2.5" drive of your choosing. I'd recommend you use the Crucial MX500 2.5" drive, either 500GB or 1TB if you think you need that much space for your Linux installation.

tjkuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 12, 2019, 11:22:54 AM »
Thanks very much. I had planned on doing both installs (via partition 700GB Win10/30GB Ubuntu on the main drive) and storing data on the second drive. Any thoughts on this?

I really enjoy your site. So again, thank you.

Best,

TJK

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 12, 2019, 11:30:10 AM »
Thanks very much. I had planned on doing both installs (via partition 700GB Win10/30GB Ubuntu on the main drive) and storing data on the second drive. Any thoughts on this?

I really enjoy your site. So again, thank you.

Best,

TJK

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. That requires a slightly different dual-boot routine, but as long as you've looked into it, it sounds fine to me. You might want to research whether it's easier to keep them on separate drives. That keeps things very separate, even allowing you to run the system off one OS if the other OS drive fails.

tjkuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 12, 2019, 11:53:39 AM »
Thanks again for your help. I'll let you know which way I configure it. I've done a 50-50 split before, but it has been a while. There might be a better way now.

Best,

TJK

Frey

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »
Hi Ari,
Thank you for maintaining this site! I was about to order your build when someone recommended this other build to me. It is a little more expensive (approx. $400 more, assuming I build it myself), but is it any better? I am having a hard time comparing the specs as it has been 10 years since I built my last pc. I would love to get your opinion on it, if you wouldn´t mind taking a look please?

This is the build: https://www.komplett.no/product/11052/pc-nettbrett/komplett-pc/komplett-gamer-premium/komplett-silent-gamer-premium?offerId=KOMPLETT-310-11052#
(the site is in Norwegian, but you should be able to read the specs of the components even so)

I am not a huge gamer (I will just be playing WoW Classic, which is not demanding at all), so silence is more important than power for me - but I would like to be able to play any new games that come out in the next few years on decent settings.

Thank you so much in advance :)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2019, 10:16:33 AM »
Hi Ari,
Thank you for maintaining this site! I was about to order your build when someone recommended this other build to me. It is a little more expensive (approx. $400 more, assuming I build it myself), but is it any better? I am having a hard time comparing the specs as it has been 10 years since I built my last pc. I would love to get your opinion on it, if you wouldn´t mind taking a look please?

This is the build: https://www.komplett.no/product/11052/pc-nettbrett/komplett-pc/komplett-gamer-premium/komplett-silent-gamer-premium?offerId=KOMPLETT-310-11052#
(the site is in Norwegian, but you should be able to read the specs of the components even so)

I am not a huge gamer (I will just be playing WoW Classic, which is not demanding at all), so silence is more important than power for me - but I would like to be able to play any new games that come out in the next few years on decent settings.

Hello, Frey! I'm guessing you're from Norway, so thanks for journeying all the way to the TBG Forum!

The system you've linked to is a very nice one, and is a higher-end build than the $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC. But if you're just playing WoW Classic, you really don't need a GeForce RTX 2070, which is a $500 GPU on its own. The RTX 2060 in the current $1,250 build is more than capable of handling any new games at decent settings.

Looking at the other components, the Core i7-8700 is a fairly good choice, but it too is pretty expensive, about 40% more than the Ryzen 7 2700 but not even 10% faster. The biggest problem is the Kingston A1000 480GB, which is an old PCIe drive that just doesn't offer great performance or capacity for the price. I'd prefer a WD Blue 3D 1TB SATA drive assuming you can use the space, or perhaps one of the really good 512GB PCIe, like the XPG SX8200 Pro.

The last thing I'll say is that that Fractal Design Define R6 is a very nice case, and is indeed very quiet, but from my point of view, Fractal hasn't really kept up with current design trends. The R6 is big and boxy just like earlier R-series cases, and has an awkward hard drive cage that makes it more difficult to work with. If you really like that style, then go for it, but the Phanteks P400S case that costs about 3/5 as much is just as quiet, and much more compact.

The builds on TBG are updated every month taking into account the latest product releases and price cuts, which helps readers get the best components possible. The pre-made system on Komplett.no is a high-quality build, but I'd guess it was designed about six months ago based on the component choices, so it's just a bit out of date.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 11:02:47 AM by Ari Altman »

Frey

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2019, 07:43:09 AM »
Hi Ari,

Hello, Frey! I'm guessing you're from Norway, so thanks for journeying all the way to the TBG Forum!

The system you've linked to is a very nice one, and is a higher-end build than the $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC. But if you're just playing WoW Classic, you really don't need a GeForce RTX 2070, which is a $500 GPU on its own. The RTX 2060 in the current $1,250 build is more than capable of handling any new games at decent settings.

Looking at the other components, the Core i7-8700 is a fairly good choice, but it too is pretty expensive, about 40% more than the Ryzen 7 2700 but not even 10% faster. The biggest problem is the Kingston A1000 480GB, which is an old PCIe drive that just doesn't offer great performance or capacity for the price. I'd prefer a WD Blue 3D 1TB SATA drive assuming you can use the space, or perhaps one of the really good 512GB PCIe, like the XPG SX8200 Pro.

The last thing I'll say is that that Fractal Design Define R6 is a very nice case, and is indeed very quiet, but from my point of view, Fractal hasn't really kept up with current design trends. The R6 is big and boxy just like earlier R-series cases, and has an awkward hard drive cage that makes it more difficult to work with. If you really like that style, then go for it, but the Phanteks P400S case that costs about 3/5 as much is just as quiet, and much more compact.

The builds on TBG are updated every month taking into account the latest product releases and price cuts, which helps readers get the best components possible. The pre-made system on Komplett.no is a high-quality build, but I'd guess it was designed about six months ago based on the component choices, so it's just a bit out of date.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Thank you Ari, for your thorough reply! Do you think the Komplett build would be more or less noisy than your build?

Also, I am planning to buy an ultrawide monitor (something like this one https://www.komplett.no/product/1126766/datautstyr/skjermer/skjermer/lg-34-led-curved-34gk950f-b# or this https://www.komplett.no/product/959477/gaming/gamingskjermer/acer-34-predator-curved-led-g-sync-x34p# ). Would your build be able to handle these types of monitors?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2019, 07:52:14 AM »

Thank you Ari, for your thorough reply! Do you think the Komplett build would be more or less noisy than your build?

Also, I am planning to buy an ultrawide monitor (something like this one https://www.komplett.no/product/1126766/datautstyr/skjermer/skjermer/lg-34-led-curved-34gk950f-b# or this https://www.komplett.no/product/959477/gaming/gamingskjermer/acer-34-predator-curved-led-g-sync-x34p# ). Would your build be able to handle these types of monitors?

The noise from a PC is determined by two things: the fans (on the case, CPU cooler, GPU, and PSU) and the degree to which the case blocks the noise. The one problem with the Komplett PC is that it uses an unusually small Noctua cooler, and smaller fans are always louder at the same cooling level. I would never recommend that cooler in a giant case like the Fractal. So overall, the $1,250 build will be quieter.

In terms of the monitors, the first thing to know is that the LG is a terrible price. It hasn't dropped enough in price since release. As for whether the system can handle it, its ports can absolutely handle the resolution, but it really comes down the games you're playing. Trying to run WoW versus something like Metro Exodus is going to be completely different. You have to decide how much extra power you want to buy now to run games you don't own yet.