Author Topic: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build  (Read 20566 times)

monkeytree5

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2019, 09:04:34 AM »

Wow, monkeytree5, that's a new one! I've seen all sorts of graphical corruption, but a diagonal skew is not one I would have imagined happening. I assume you tried booting all the way to Windows and it was still skewed, right?

Good thinking testing onboard video, at least you know the rest of your system is working. Have you tried a different monitor (or a TV) with the RTX 2070? Maybe a different cable too, in case the cable you have isn't properly transmitting from the RTX 2070 (for example, if it's and HDMI cable, there would be a difference between onboard and the RTX 2070, as one is HDMI 1.4, one is HDMI 2.0). You might also try switching to a different type of cable (if you're using HDMI, go with DisplayPort, or vice versa). If you happened to have another PC to test with, it might be interesting to see if the same thing happens, but honestly, you shouldn't have to do that to get it working.

If nothing seems to work, might be worth exchanging for a different card.
It was an issue on the receiver I was using, a specific HDMI port had that issue.  Never had it with any other component, but maybe it was the 1.4 vs. 2.0 problem, as a different HDMI input worked.
Thanks for the suggestions and quick response.  I'm rocking now.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2019, 09:13:16 AM »
Honestly, HDMI is the bane of my existence. Terrible standard, so much more about protecting content from theft than serving the people who pay for it.

buggernuts

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2019, 07:39:20 AM »
I received my CPU a day early, although it still took 10 days to cross the US from California to North Carolina. :(

I was able to get the computer set up, with Windows 10 installed and up and running, but it was getting late and I didn't get much of a chance to play around. I'll install GTA V when I get home today, but I need to button up the installation. I just pulled the wires through the case and tied them up away from any fans, but it's not pretty. I don't have a glass case, but still... my OCD is twitching.

I thought I had seen somewhere where you recommended overclocking settings for the Ryzen 5, but I'm not finding it now. I should have saved it for when I was up and running.

Finally, I'm assuming it's good to install all of the Motherboard drivers that are available on the Asus site? Windows 10 installed fine (not even 10 minutes total, and 30 second reboots!) but I didn't want to muddy the waters if not needed.

Thanks again for your awesome assistance and I hope you're enjoying CES!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2019, 07:46:51 AM »
I received my CPU a day early, although it still took 10 days to cross the US from California to North Carolina. :(

I was able to get the computer set up, with Windows 10 installed and up and running, but it was getting late and I didn't get much of a chance to play around. I'll install GTA V when I get home today, but I need to button up the installation. I just pulled the wires through the case and tied them up away from any fans, but it's not pretty. I don't have a glass case, but still... my OCD is twitching.

I thought I had seen somewhere where you recommended overclocking settings for the Ryzen 5, but I'm not finding it now. I should have saved it for when I was up and running.

Finally, I'm assuming it's good to install all of the Motherboard drivers that are available on the Asus site? Windows 10 installed fine (not even 10 minutes total, and 30 second reboots!) but I didn't want to muddy the waters if not needed.

Thanks again for your awesome assistance and I hope you're enjoying CES!

Actually, with the Ryzen 5 2600X, I strongly recommend not overclocking, because it runs at optimal boost clocks out of the box. If you overclock, it will eliminate boost, which will mean single-threaded performance will drop in order to get a higher all-core clock, and I don't think that's worth it.

As for drivers, there are probably a few you don't need, but to be safe, install them all, as you definitely want the audio, LAN, and chipset drivers.

buggernuts

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2019, 07:50:39 AM »
Actually, with the Ryzen 5 2600X, I strongly recommend not overclocking, because it runs at optimal boost clocks out of the box. If you overclock, it will eliminate boost, which will mean single-threaded performance will drop in order to get a higher all-core clock, and I don't think that's worth it.

As for drivers, there are probably a few you don't need, but to be safe, install them all, as you definitely want the audio, LAN, and chipset drivers.

Excellent! Thank you kindly for the info!

FarRock

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2019, 07:02:51 AM »
Hi Ari, new here.

Echoing the sentiment above, I still love forums so thank you for this!!

I've always love the idea of a silent powerful machine but has always been out of my budget. I finally got my year-end bonus (yay) and I can splurge a bit. Your $1,250 silent build seems great to me with a few things I would like advice on: (P.S. I've never built a PC before but I have done upgrades)

Keeping in mind that I'm willing to bump up to the ~$1,600 range:

1:
> I love Intel and can't imagine going AMD. Can I move to an i5 or i7?
> If yes I assume I need a different motherboard? Keeping in mind that I love many USB ports, are there any you would recommend?
> Do I need a different cooler to stack on the Intel processor or can I use the same you've recommended in your AMD silent build?

2:
> Bumping the 2x 8GB sticks to 2x 16gb sticks. Any objections?

3:
> I'm an audiophile. Can I add this? https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Audigy-Performance-Headphone/dp/B00EO6X4XG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549983347&sr=8-3&keywords=internal+sound+card&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

4:
> I'll use the SSD 1GB stick, can I throw in a 4TB Seagate 7200RPM as well for storage? They only run $100.

5:
I already have dual 32" Samsung monitors. So we can drop the monitor. And the mouse.

Thanks so much for doing this!

Mark
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:43:28 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2019, 08:41:03 AM »
Hi Ari, new here.

Echoing the sentiment above, I still love forums so thank you for this!!

I've always love the idea of a silent powerful machine but has always been out of my budget. I finally got my year-end bonus (yay) and I can splurge a bit. Your $1,250 silent build seems great to me with a few things I would like advice on: (P.S. I've never built a PC before but I have done upgrades)

Keeping in mind that I'm willing to bump up to the ~$1,600 range:

1:
> I love Intel and can't imagine going AMD. Can I move to an i5 or i7?
> If yes I assume I need a different motherboard? Keeping in mind that I love many USB ports, are there any you would recommend?
> Do I need a different cooler to stack on the Intel processor or can I use the same you've recommended in your AMD silent build?

2:
> Bumping the 2x 8GB sticks to 2x 16gb sticks. Any objections?

3:
> I'm an audiophile. Can I add this? https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Blaster-Audigy-Performance-Headphone/dp/B00EO6X4XG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1549983347&sr=8-3&keywords=internal+sound+card&refinements=p_72%3A2661618011

4:
> I'll use the SSD 1GB stick, can I throw in a 4TB Seagate 7200RPM as well for storage? They only run $100.

5:
I already have dual 32" Samsung monitors. So we can drop the monitor. And the mouse.

Thanks so much for doing this!

Mark

Welcome to the TBG Forum, FarRock! Every one of us starts the process of building a PC with doing a few upgrades here and there, getting comfortable with that process, and then taking the plunge into doing it from scratch. You're in good company!

It sounds like you definitely know what you want, which is a pretty powerful system. Given your interest in Intel (and your budget), I'd suggest pulling the CPU and motherboard from the $1,500 Gaming PC Build, dropping them into the $1,250 build, and then swapping in the higher amount of RAM and the sound card. That Z390 motherboard in that system has 8 USB ports, which is as many as you'll get on any board under $250.

To get the best deal on 32GB of RAM, I'd suggest you go for this Ballistix 2x16GB kit, which is on sale right now.

As for the sound card, I'd suggest stepping up a bit from the model you found in order to truly surpass onboard motherboard video. The Sound Blaster Zx is a great choice.

In all, the price would come to $1,620, a bit above budget, but it has everything you want in it.
Intel Core i5-9600K CPU - $270
Gigabyte Z390 Motherboard - $130
Gigabyte RTX 2060 Video Card - $370
32GB Ballistix DDR4-3000 RAM - $202
Crucial MX500 1TB SSD - $135
Seagate 4TB Hard Drive - $100
Arctic Freezer 33 Cooler - $28
Creative Zx Sound Card - $95
Corsair 275R Case - $80
EVGA G3 550W PSU - $80
Windows 10 - $130

By the way, Intel is having a lot of production problems right now, which leads to severe shortages. In fact, Amazon is currently sold out of every 9th-generation Intel processor, so you'll see alternative links in the guides for at least a few days.

FarRock

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2019, 09:35:36 AM »
Awesome. thanks!

Why do you recommend i5 over i7 in your Gaming Bundle? Is the i7 price bump not worth the performance increase?

Also, there are a few different 2060 graphics cards in about the same price range. The fan configuration seems different. Any idea of the volume difference under stress between them?

Maybe the MSI version; seems to have amazing noise levels:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_RTX_2060_Gaming_Z/31.html

Finally, should I splurge $20 more for a "silent" case? Have you even played with these?
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Suppressor-Tempered-Certified-CA-1E3-00M1WN-03/dp/B01N9WAXEX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549994022&sr=8-2&keywords=silent+pc+case
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:55:51 AM by FarRock »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2019, 10:25:40 AM »
Awesome. thanks!

Why do you recommend i5 over i7 in your Gaming Bundle? Is the i7 price bump not worth the performance increase?

Also, there are a few different 2060 graphics cards in about the same price range. The fan configuration seems different. Any idea of the volume difference under stress between them?

Maybe the MSI version; seems to have amazing noise levels:
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_RTX_2060_Gaming_Z/31.html

Finally, should I splurge $20 more for a "silent" case? Have you even played with these?
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Suppressor-Tempered-Certified-CA-1E3-00M1WN-03/dp/B01N9WAXEX/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549994022&sr=8-2&keywords=silent+pc+case

There are a number of upgrades you can make to a PC build, but it all comes down to a budget. At $1,600, I think the build set out above is your best option. You asked about a CPU upgrade to a Core i7 for gaming, which would cost $150. The simple answer is that this is the wrong upgrade to make if you care about gaming performance, as it would only get you about 2-3% higher performance in a handful of games. That same $150 would buy you a factory-overclocked Zotac RTX 2070 8GB, which would give you a 20% in every game. Once you do the cost/benefit analysis on each alternative upgrade path, there's almost always a clear choice. As for the MSI RTX 2060 Gaming Z, it actually hasn't hit the market yet. MSI does typically have the quietest premium cards on the market, but without a price on that card, it's hard to say if it's worth the extra cost. Even the review you linked to couldn't say what the actual cost of the card was. If it comes in at $390, I think it's too expensive.

The Thermaltake Suppressor F31 case is a decent option, and in fact it used to be recommended in the TBG guides. But it's a bit outdated, with a older internal layout that isn't ideal for today's components. A better "quiet" case is the Phanteks P400S.

FarRock

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »
You sir are a God amongst men, thank you!

PC noise is my #1 concern so I'll get the Phanteks P400S.

As far as MSI, it is out. For the extra $20 and reducing noise on the noisiest part of the PC I'll spend it.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-192-bit-Architecture-Graphics/dp/B07MC23VS4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1549997993&sr=1-1&keywords=msi+rtx+2060

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2019, 11:07:31 AM »
You sir are a God amongst men, thank you!

PC noise is my #1 concern so I'll get the Phanteks P400S.

As far as MSI, it is out. For the extra $20 and reducing noise on the noisiest part of the PC I'll spend it.
https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-192-bit-Architecture-Graphics/dp/B07MC23VS4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1549997993&sr=1-1&keywords=msi+rtx+2060

Thanks!

Actually, that's the MSI Ventus, not the Gaming Z. It's not as good, and it's actually not in stock. Stick with the Gigabyte - it has a quiet cooler and costs less. Plus it's been shipping in quantity for weeks!

The move to the P400S is a great choice. Another forum member recently built up a system in it and it looks great. Check it out here. He also made some custom upgrades to reduce noise - feel free to ask him how it all went!

FarRock

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2019, 06:03:20 PM »
Hi Ari. Any idea if I'm running out of slots? I'm seriously considering an Elgato Pro card since I record myself teaching programming (scriptuni.com).

Any objections to that card?

https://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16815131036?nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsNF-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsNF-PC-_-pla-_-Video+Devices+%26+TV+Tuners-_-N82E16815131036&gclid=Cj0KCQiA-onjBRDSARIsAEZXcKbVvLPEEIXsXvqcH1ts62FEvmzSVJNMLalWjpFWHhKqR0_xZY3eO60aAr-nEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just a reminder, this puts my card count at:

1. The 1TB SSD (does this count?)
2. Graphics card
3. Sound Blaster
4. Elgato 60 Pro

Also I noticed this motherboard doesn't have Wifi. Not critical now but I had LAN issues and Wifi is a nice backup. Should I upgrade the board slightly to include Wifi?

Finally, with all these added features, should I bump up the power from 550 to 650?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 07:11:02 PM by FarRock »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2019, 10:49:35 PM »
FarRock - I can't say I follow the streaming market that closely, but the Elgato HD60 Pro is probably a great product. Note that it's been discontinued (which is why it's a Newegg Flash Deal), and Elgato is clearly targeting external devices, which they showed off at CES during the Corsair/Elgato press conference I attended. They are really moving towards "Stream Decks," which provide physical controls to allow a studio feel. In other words, you don't need to mess with menus on your PC, you just use the deck to control your recording. Unless you're actually doing live streaming, a stream deck really isn't useful, so you're getting exactly what you need at a great price.

With that said, if you're interested in the HD60 Pro, you'll have no issue installing it in this PC. The video card takes up two slots (assuming you stick with the option I recommended), and then you have four slots left for add-ins. The SSD doesn't use a PCIe slot (even thought it's a PCIe device), so you're good to go.

Upgrading the board to get WiFi does cost a good bit more - the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi is $195, and it's about the cheapest board you'll find with WiFi built in. Another option is simply to get an add-in card, like the TP-Link Archer T6E, which will be a bit faster than Gigbyte's WiFi solution. The Aorus Pro Wifi does have some other nice upgrades, however, like enhanced sound (meaning you may not need a sound card) along with higher power delivery, which you definitely don't need for a 9600K. On the subject of power, you don't need more than 550W for this system - at maximum load, it will pull about 350W. If you really wanted to get into overclocking, the 650W model might make sense, but I didn't gather that OC'ing would be a primary interest of yours (given that it will make things loud!).

FarRock

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2019, 03:43:16 AM »
Thanks for the Wifi tips.

Pretty sure they discontinued the 60Pro to make room for their 4K card which is double the price. I have no interest in recording over 1080.

Also, I was concerned about USB ports since I hate the clutter external hubs bring...this looks like a sweet option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FPIMICA/ref=psdc_229185_t1_B0196SQVFO
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:25:01 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2019, 07:31:54 AM »
I may have been wrong about the HD 60 Pro - it's the HD 60 that's discontinued. In any event, yes the 4K model is twice the price, and no, you don't need it for your purposes, but you can see why game streamers would want the option - because gaming at 4K is a big thing to show off PC components, if not actually to use in competition.

As for USB ports - do you actually have more than eight devices? There are a huge number of expansion cards that add USB ports, but I'd only recommend getting one if you know you need more ports now. The one you found is pretty overkill, and I'm a bit concerned about the throughput for all those ports. If you wanted more ports, I'd suggest a high-quality card like this SilverStone ECU05, which adds one port of each variety (2.0, 3.0, Type-C).