Author Topic: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build  (Read 18686 times)

monkeytree5

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2019, 09:04:34 AM »

Wow, monkeytree5, that's a new one! I've seen all sorts of graphical corruption, but a diagonal skew is not one I would have imagined happening. I assume you tried booting all the way to Windows and it was still skewed, right?

Good thinking testing onboard video, at least you know the rest of your system is working. Have you tried a different monitor (or a TV) with the RTX 2070? Maybe a different cable too, in case the cable you have isn't properly transmitting from the RTX 2070 (for example, if it's and HDMI cable, there would be a difference between onboard and the RTX 2070, as one is HDMI 1.4, one is HDMI 2.0). You might also try switching to a different type of cable (if you're using HDMI, go with DisplayPort, or vice versa). If you happened to have another PC to test with, it might be interesting to see if the same thing happens, but honestly, you shouldn't have to do that to get it working.

If nothing seems to work, might be worth exchanging for a different card.
It was an issue on the receiver I was using, a specific HDMI port had that issue.  Never had it with any other component, but maybe it was the 1.4 vs. 2.0 problem, as a different HDMI input worked.
Thanks for the suggestions and quick response.  I'm rocking now.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2019, 09:13:16 AM »
Honestly, HDMI is the bane of my existence. Terrible standard, so much more about protecting content from theft than serving the people who pay for it.

buggernuts

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2019, 07:39:20 AM »
I received my CPU a day early, although it still took 10 days to cross the US from California to North Carolina. :(

I was able to get the computer set up, with Windows 10 installed and up and running, but it was getting late and I didn't get much of a chance to play around. I'll install GTA V when I get home today, but I need to button up the installation. I just pulled the wires through the case and tied them up away from any fans, but it's not pretty. I don't have a glass case, but still... my OCD is twitching.

I thought I had seen somewhere where you recommended overclocking settings for the Ryzen 5, but I'm not finding it now. I should have saved it for when I was up and running.

Finally, I'm assuming it's good to install all of the Motherboard drivers that are available on the Asus site? Windows 10 installed fine (not even 10 minutes total, and 30 second reboots!) but I didn't want to muddy the waters if not needed.

Thanks again for your awesome assistance and I hope you're enjoying CES!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2019, 07:46:51 AM »
I received my CPU a day early, although it still took 10 days to cross the US from California to North Carolina. :(

I was able to get the computer set up, with Windows 10 installed and up and running, but it was getting late and I didn't get much of a chance to play around. I'll install GTA V when I get home today, but I need to button up the installation. I just pulled the wires through the case and tied them up away from any fans, but it's not pretty. I don't have a glass case, but still... my OCD is twitching.

I thought I had seen somewhere where you recommended overclocking settings for the Ryzen 5, but I'm not finding it now. I should have saved it for when I was up and running.

Finally, I'm assuming it's good to install all of the Motherboard drivers that are available on the Asus site? Windows 10 installed fine (not even 10 minutes total, and 30 second reboots!) but I didn't want to muddy the waters if not needed.

Thanks again for your awesome assistance and I hope you're enjoying CES!

Actually, with the Ryzen 5 2600X, I strongly recommend not overclocking, because it runs at optimal boost clocks out of the box. If you overclock, it will eliminate boost, which will mean single-threaded performance will drop in order to get a higher all-core clock, and I don't think that's worth it.

As for drivers, there are probably a few you don't need, but to be safe, install them all, as you definitely want the audio, LAN, and chipset drivers.

buggernuts

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2019, 07:50:39 AM »
Actually, with the Ryzen 5 2600X, I strongly recommend not overclocking, because it runs at optimal boost clocks out of the box. If you overclock, it will eliminate boost, which will mean single-threaded performance will drop in order to get a higher all-core clock, and I don't think that's worth it.

As for drivers, there are probably a few you don't need, but to be safe, install them all, as you definitely want the audio, LAN, and chipset drivers.

Excellent! Thank you kindly for the info!