Author Topic: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build  (Read 16994 times)

ThunderBear

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $1,250 Quiet Gaming PC Build
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2018, 03:17:58 PM »
Thanks Ari for the quick response.
Yes making the jump to win 10 is not my bliss.
Given the price of software that gets lost along the way, it is quite disappointing.
What do you think about Win 10 pro?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2018, 06:47:22 PM »
Thanks Ari for the quick response.
Yes making the jump to win 10 is not my bliss.
Given the price of software that gets lost along the way, it is quite disappointing.
What do you think about Win 10 pro?

I believe that back when Win7 was current, the Home vs. Pro distinction was more important. With Win10, there are only two reasons to go with Win10 Pro: software encryption (Bitlocker) or remote access (which would be used regularly by IT in a large office deployment scenario). For the typical home user, it doesn't offer any benefits.

RobDastardly

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »
Hi there,

Itís been a really long time since I built my own PCs,  and Iím trying to gather info for a new build.  Looking at the $1,250 quiet build, I notice it has a GTX video card, but a FreeSync monitor.  I was under the impression that it was best to use a G-Sync monitor for GTX cards? 

Sorry if thatís a dumb question.  Last time I built a PC, CRTs were a thing.

Rob

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »
Hi there,

Itís been a really long time since I built my own PCs,  and Iím trying to gather info for a new build.  Looking at the $1,250 quiet build, I notice it has a GTX video card, but a FreeSync monitor.  I was under the impression that it was best to use a G-Sync monitor for GTX cards? 

Sorry if thatís a dumb question.  Last time I built a PC, CRTs were a thing.

Rob

Welcome to the Forum, Rob!

That's actually a really good question, and I've updated the guide to provide a bit more information on the selected model. The issue is that for a PC at this pricepoint, a G-Sync monitor for use with GeForce cards just isn't cost-effective. That's because the Nvidia licensing fee is about the same regardless of monitor size, so at 24" with a TN panel, G-Sync models cost about 75% more than FreeSync models, despite the same refresh rate and panel. At the high end (above $500), G-Sync models definitely make sense, as they only cost about 20-30% more.

RobDastardly

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2018, 09:59:42 AM »
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond, it was very helpful!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2018, 11:42:05 PM »
Hi there,
Going to build a PC and going to use your guides to do so.
I'm looking at one of the $1200-$1500 gaming builds.

I'm leaning toward the "Quiet Gaming" build, because it'll be in a closet near my viewing area, and I'll want to use for gaming, movies, and casual surfing, so I don't want to hear it whirring too bad.

Couple questions to help make up my mind.

I'd love smaller form-factor, like the "$1,500 Ultra-Compact Mini-ITX Gaming" or the "$1,250 Slim Mini-ITX Gaming/HTPC Build" ... are they significantly louder than this build?  Anything I could do to either of these builds to reduce the sound to comparable levels?

Secondly, I notice in the "Ultra-Compact Mini-ITX" you recommend using the "EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Gaming 8GB" gpu which "beats" the "GTX 1080"  . It's mentioned in one of the other reviews as "not a replacement for the GTX 1070 Ti, which we anticipate will be around for a long time to come"  What does that last piece about being around a long time mean?  Also, the 2070 is $529.99, and the 1070 Ti is $519.95 right now. Not much difference in price if the 2070 is better.
Why isn't the 2070 recommended for the Slim or the Quiet Gaming builds?

Thanks much for any advice!

Welcome to the Forum, monkeytree5!

You can make the smaller builds quieter, but they'll never be as quiet as the "Quiet Gaming Build." That's because they require smaller, slimmer coolers and fans, which are not as efficient. If you'd like to go with the smaller systems, the one thing you can do to make them quieter is to switch to a Noctua CPU cooler. The slim system can use the Noctua NH-L9a AM4, while the $1,500 Ultra-Compact PC can use the Noctua NH-L12S.

But ultimately, compact system just have less sound insulation (as in none, really). The components are all right at the exterior of the chassis, emitting sound to the surrounding area. Ultimately, you have to choose which is more important to you, size or noise.

As for the GTX 1070 Ti vs the RTX 2070, what you're seeing is the fallout of Black Friday sales, which drove every GTX 1070 Ti off of store shelves, while the RTX 2070 wasn't as hot a seller. Note that the GTX 1070 Ti linked to in the guides is actually $400 if backordered from Amazon. The $520 price is what's being offered by some unscrupulous third-party seller. It is not, and never has been, a $500+ card, except during the height of the crypto-mining craze. With that said, it's the perfect $400 card, and Nvidia has no plans to replace it anytime soon. The RTX 2070 is in a completely different price class, and the upcoming RTX 2060 will actually be slower than the original GTX 1070.

Xilanz

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2018, 02:35:44 PM »
Hi there,

I am considering doing a variation of this silent build that has Moore oomph in the components. Do you have recommendation for the RTX 2070/1080 level cards that wouldnít significantly add to the noise of the build?  Would bumping up the CPU generate enough heat to make the CPU fan more noticeable?

Thanks in advance!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2018, 05:59:51 PM »
Hi there,

I am considering doing a variation of this silent build that has Moore oomph in the components. Do you have recommendation for the RTX 2070/1080 level cards that wouldnít significantly add to the noise of the build?  Would bumping up the CPU generate enough heat to make the CPU fan more noticeable?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the Forum, Xilanz! I can definitely help you with that. The key is to choose the proper case, CPU cooler, video card, and power supply. Assuming you'd like to stick with the Phanteks P400S case that really defines this build, as compact, quiet, and stylish, then you need to choose parts that will work with it. If you instead chose a big, high-airflow case, you wouldn't have something nearly as quiet, so it's a trade-off.

I'd suggest you swap in the CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboard, and power supply from the $1,750 Advanced Gaming/Productivity PC, but swap the cooler to the Noctua NH-U12S, as the larger U14S used in the $1,750 build will not fit in the quiet build's case.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »
I glad the other user asked this, cause this was my next question.... Can I get an i7 and a speedier card in this quiet build.  Good to know, thanks!

Glad this was usefull, monkeytree5!

At a certain point, "quiet" and "high-performance" start to become mutually exclusive. A truly quiet build really can't use a case with an open front mesh panel, and yet that feature is critical to cooling extreme GPUs and CPUs. Similarly, liquid cooling really is required to push the limits of the latest Core i7 and Core i9 processors, yet again, liquid coolers aren't ideal for quiet builds. That's in part because there's nowhere to mount them (quiet builds tend to have fewer open panels, obviously), and also because liquid coolers simply aren't that quiet at idle due to constant pump noise.

For all of these reasons, the "Quiet Gaming PC Build" was pegged at the $1,250 pricepoint, as you typically find mid-range to high-end components at that price without pushing the power envelope too hard. I wouldn't recommend, for example, the Intel Core i9-9900K for a quiet build. It just doesn't make sense, as you'd have limit the 9900K's performance to significantly to achieve quiet operation.

Xilanz

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2018, 06:42:53 AM »
I'd suggest you swap in the CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboard, and power supply from the $1,750 Advanced Gaming/Productivity PC, but swap the cooler to the Noctua NH-U12S, as the larger U14S used in the $1,750 build will not fit in the quiet build's case.

Sounds like a plan, thank you!

Xilanz

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2018, 06:36:13 AM »
Actually a couple of additional quick questions when you have time!

1) I'm also planning to do some work involving intense Excel spreadsheets in addition to gaming.  I know Excel can benefit from additional cores so for that would a Ryzen be a better alternative perhaps sacrificing a little from the gaming side?  And would it be worth waiting until the 3000 series is out for comparison at this point?

2) I'd like to have use a USB-C cable with the case as I'm planning to get an iPhone Xs fairly soon.  Will the Phanteks case be suitable for that?  Would I need a different motherboard for either Intel or Ryzen to offer better USB connectivity if so?

3) I don't tend to upgrade as frequently now so I'd rather future-proof the system a little when it makes sense.  I currently have two SATA SSD drives and I'm thinkin I'll just get two nVME drives in the new build to mimic that setup.  In that scenario since I don't tend to do a lot of file copying but do have some load-intensive games is having a premium speed nVME boot drive (like the XPG SX2800 1TB) coupled with a less expensive data drive (perhaps a Crucial P1 1TB) work well or should I try to match the drive speeds?

Thanks again for your advice!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2018, 09:28:00 AM »
Actually a couple of additional quick questions when you have time!

1) I'm also planning to do some work involving intense Excel spreadsheets in addition to gaming.  I know Excel can benefit from additional cores so for that would a Ryzen be a better alternative perhaps sacrificing a little from the gaming side?  And would it be worth waiting until the 3000 series is out for comparison at this point?

2) I'd like to have use a USB-C cable with the case as I'm planning to get an iPhone Xs fairly soon.  Will the Phanteks case be suitable for that?  Would I need a different motherboard for either Intel or Ryzen to offer better USB connectivity if so?

3) I don't tend to upgrade as frequently now so I'd rather future-proof the system a little when it makes sense.  I currently have two SATA SSD drives and I'm thinkin I'll just get two nVME drives in the new build to mimic that setup.  In that scenario since I don't tend to do a lot of file copying but do have some load-intensive games is having a premium speed nVME boot drive (like the XPG SX2800 1TB) coupled with a less expensive data drive (perhaps a Crucial P1 1TB) work well or should I try to match the drive speeds?

Thanks again for your advice!

Here are your answers:

(1) Ryzen vs Core i7 for Excel: First of all, the Ryzen 3000 series isn't going to be here for at least six months, so no, I'm not going to recommend that. If you've been reading the recent rumors about Ryzen 3000 incoming, be informed that they are false. I'll be meeting privately with AMD's Ryzen execs at CES in a month, and will have the latest actual info on the 3000 series soon enough. And anyway, the Core i7-9700K is nearly as fast as the Ryzen 7 2700X in Excel, and much faster for gaming, so it's a better overall pick for a mixed-use system unless you're actually running complicated Excel computations much of the day.

(2) USB-C: it would be cool to have a USB-C port in the front of the case, but actually all phones ship with USB-A to USB-C cables, not straight USB-C to -C cables. That's because there's basically no reason to have the terminating end be USB-C, other than the reversability, but phone manufacturers know that no one has that kind of port, even on chargers. By the way, the iPhone of course does not conform to any industry standards. It uses a Lightning cable, so this is kind of moot point if you're getting an iPhone X.

(3) SSDs: While PCIe drives are faster than SATA drives, buying two to be matching isn't really beneficial. Think of SSDs as tools for a particular job: where there's a lot of random read/write or long file copies, PCIe drives help a lot. That's on an OS drive or swap drive (for photo/video editing). For gaming, PCIe drives are irrelevant, except for the game install (if you're installing a Steam game from and to the same drive, a PCIe drive will be 3-4x faster). For level loading, PCIe drives are a non-factor. And the Crucial P1 is a piece of junk. It will never get a recommendation on this site. Way too handicapped to be worth buying thanks to its awful QLC NAND. The only way it would make sense is if it were cheaper than SATA TLC drives. It should be cheaper to make, but Crucial/Micron is still having teething pains on manufacturing this new product, so it's not cheaper.

In short, the only change I'd make to this system would be to upgrade the OS drive to an XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB (this a brand-new drive, as in less than a week since release, and it's going to cut into Samsung's sales badly since it's so good!). If you'd like two drives, make the second a Crucial MX500 1TB.

Xilanz

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2018, 12:36:18 PM »
Ok great, thanks! Iím still getting a handle on the current preferred brands of tech so appreciate the guidance on the ones to steer clear of at present.

Would an I9 run too hot in the Silent Case with just the Noctua cooler if it wasn't overclocked?  Or would that occur just through the course of the normal core boosting?  There's not much of a price difference from the 9700k to the 8700k but would there be any reason to get the 8700 over the 9700?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:06:58 PM by Xilanz »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2018, 01:04:21 PM »
Ok great, thanks! Iím still getting a handle on the current preferred brands of tech so appreciate the guidance on the ones to steer clear of at present.

Would an I9 run too hot in the Silent Case with just the Noctua cooler? I wouldnít be trying to overclock it at least.

The Core i9-9900K is a 145W CPU being marketed as a 95W CPU. It simply requires liquid cooling to run at stock settings, let alone when overclocking. It's therefor not suitable for a quiet build.

Xilanz

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2018, 01:07:23 PM »
Understood, thanks again!  I elected to get two of the SX8200s for simplicity and the 9700k so hopefully I'll have it all up and running soon.  I'll be coming from an I5-2500k with a GTX680, Samsung 840 and 850 EVO drives which, all things considered, has held up pretty well over the years but I expect the new system should be a noticeable improvement!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 01:41:05 PM by Xilanz »