Author Topic: $2500 Extreme 4K SLI  (Read 229 times)

holidaytheghost

• View Profile
$2500 Extreme 4K SLI
« on: July 17, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »
I just ordered all of the parts to complete the current (as of 7/16) 2500 gaming build. I'm really looking forward to building it and trying it out (hopefully this weekend), but have a question I was hoping to get the opinion(s) of those more experienced than I am.

The build has the EVGA GTX 1080 ti Hybrid video card, with a Thermaltake View 32 Mid Tower case. The build states the mobo and psu both are capable of running two 1080 ti's in SLI, but I'm not really sure how best to go about this if that time comes.

I'd prefer to get another identical 1080 ti Hybrid card, but I am not sure how to set that up since the build states that the Hybrid fan should be installed in the back of the case (and there appears to be only one slot). Would it be a good idea to add another 1080 ti Hybrid to this case, and if so, how should I install the fans for the pair of them, in addition to the cpu liquid cooler fans? Or would I be better off going with a non-hybrid card for SLI (or perhaps a different case)? My only knowledge of fan setup is that supposedly it's best to set up the front fans as intakes, and the top and back as exhausts. I do not plan on doing any heavy overclocking.

Thanks for any help

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: $2500 Extreme 4K SLI
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 01:38:32 PM »
I just ordered all of the parts to complete the current (as of 7/16) 2500 gaming build. I'm really looking forward to building it and trying it out (hopefully this weekend), but have a question I was hoping to get the opinion(s) of those more experienced than I am.

The build has the EVGA GTX 1080 ti Hybrid video card, with a Thermaltake View 32 Mid Tower case. The build states the mobo and psu both are capable of running two 1080 ti's in SLI, but I'm not really sure how best to go about this if that time comes.

I'd prefer to get another identical 1080 ti Hybrid card, but I am not sure how to set that up since the build states that the Hybrid fan should be installed in the back of the case (and there appears to be only one slot). Would it be a good idea to add another 1080 ti Hybrid to this case, and if so, how should I install the fans for the pair of them, in addition to the cpu liquid cooler fans? Or would I be better off going with a non-hybrid card for SLI (or perhaps a different case)? My only knowledge of fan setup is that supposedly it's best to set up the front fans as intakes, and the top and back as exhausts. I do not plan on doing any heavy overclocking.

Thanks for any help

Welcome to the Forum, holidaytheghost!

Congrats on ordering your new build! You have a really good question about going SLI, and I think I have some answers for you.

The case used for this build is a mid-sized case, perfect for the build as set up in the guide. You can definitely go with a second GTX 1080 Ti, but your best bet will be to get a clock-matched air-cooled model. If you ordered the EVGA Hybrid SC2, then a good match would be the like the EVGA SC2. The good news is that the lower card in an SLI setup always runs much cooler, so much so that it's really overkill to run dual liquid-cooled models. And in a mid-sized case, it's essentially impossible unless you sacrifice system cooling by installing one radiator in front blowing hot air into the case (which I cannot recommend).

Also note that it's critical that the second card you buy is the same height as the first card, otherwise you won't be able to attach the High-Bandwidth SLI bridge. The two SC2 models are the same height, but most other brands (and EVGA's FTW models) are much taller.

holidaytheghost

• View Profile
Re: $2500 Extreme 4K SLI
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 01:55:24 PM »
Thank you Ari for the quick response and helpful information! I plan on enjoying the rig as is for a while, but it's definitely good to know that there is a simple solution that doesn't require me going with a different case (this one does look awesome after all). I'll take your advice and go with an EVGA SC2 when the time comes.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:59:31 PM by holidaytheghost »