Author Topic: $750 Build for Flight Simulator X?  (Read 78 times)

Day_late

• View Profile
$750 Build for Flight Simulator X?
« on: June 14, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »
I recently got into Flight Simulator X. It seems to run okay on my i3 dual core NUC, but I'm thinking ahead to when I want to add scenery, airports, and airplane enhancements. The discussion I've read online is contradictory: go big with the CPU because FXS is CPU intensive; get an i7 CPU; get an i5 CPU; go big with the GPU because FSX is GPU intensive; no, FSX doesn't need a lot of GPU. Needless to say, I'm a little confused.

I don't plan to run other games; FSX is the extent of my interest in gaming. How do you think the $750 Build will work as it's configured today? Is there a CPU upgrade path to consider?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: $750 Build for Flight Simulator X?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 07:13:52 PM »
I recently got into Flight Simulator X. It seems to run okay on my i3 dual core NUC, but I'm thinking ahead to when I want to add scenery, airports, and airplane enhancements. The discussion I've read online is contradictory: go big with the CPU because FXS is CPU intensive; get an i7 CPU; get an i5 CPU; go big with the GPU because FSX is GPU intensive; no, FSX doesn't need a lot of GPU. Needless to say, I'm a little confused.

I don't plan to run other games; FSX is the extent of my interest in gaming. How do you think the $750 Build will work as it's configured today? Is there a CPU upgrade path to consider?

The $750 Budget Gaming PC Build is a great choice for FSX. The truth is that the game is really old, so you don't need a lot of power to run it. Hence it runs pretty well on your Core i3 NUC. What you really need for this game is high core speed, and the Core i3-8100 in the $750 build delivers that. It's a much better choice than a slower six-core. And yes, a GTX 1060 3GB is more than enough to max out the graphics in this game.

Day_late

• View Profile
Re: $750 Build for Flight Simulator X?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:47:57 PM »
Thanks, Ari.