Author Topic: Upgrading network  (Read 121 times)

Reyort

• View Profile
Upgrading network
« on: May 12, 2018, 09:07:29 AM »
So I want to upgrade my network when I move.  I want to get a new modem so I don't pay the rental fee.  I noticed  the networking guide here was last updated in September 2017.  The link to the cable modem is discontinued.  What cable modem do you recommend?  My internet speeds is going to be 400 Mbps and is with Suddenlink.

Secondly do you still recommend the routers you mentioned on there?

Thanks.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading network
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 02:56:22 PM »
Thanks for checking in, Reyort. The networking guide really needs to be updated, huh? I'll do it tomorrow!

I actually had noticed that the cable modem was out of stock. If you're looking at 400Mbps (download) cable speeds, you're going to need a pretty serious modem. There's currently a huge price breakpoint at DOCSIS 3.0 modems (based on tech released in 2006) and DOCSIS 3.1 modems (based on tech released in 2013). At a minimum, I'd  recommend that you get the top-of-the-line Netgear DOCSIS 3.0 modem, the CM700 for $90. It's rated for 1.4Gbps, which sounds like more speed than you need, but these devices never quite hit their maximum theoretical speeds. This is the fastest DOCSIS 3.0 can go, and it's a good investment. Jumping up to DOCSIS 3.1 will cost nearly twice as much - an example would be Netgear's CM1000 at $170. I wouldn't spend the money on that right now unless you might want (and could actually receive) 1Gbps+ cable service from Suddenlink.

As for the routers in the TBG guide, they are all still current, although TBG is going to start pushing the mesh solutions even harder in the next update. They really are where consumers should be going in the future, as they provide much better coverage for larger homes where dead zones are typically an issue. TBG has tested several mesh solutions, and there are  two in the current guide, but there's more to come. TBG is getting the brand-new Ubiquiti AmpliFi to test this week. It could end up in the guide if it performs as well as I think it will.