Author Topic: TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide  (Read 6772 times)

TekHed

• View Profile
Re: TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 01:46:11 PM »
It isn't "store credit", it's a warranty trade-in of my tv for a "comparable" model up to the value I originally paid which is about $5,000. If I trade in for a $2,500 set I effectively give up any money left on the table (and as the warranty resets it behooves me to "spend" it all in case something happens with the new set).

AFAIK Costco does not stock the Emperium, so the issue is moot even if some of the reviews for it aren't that stellar. Actually I'm not sure if they stock the Q900 either.

Lastly, Sony just announced specs today for the PS5 or whatever it ends up being called to release next year, which will support some form of (likely upscaled/checkerboard/compression based) 8k, and considering I'm unlikely to upgrade my set next year and the price takes advantage of my trade in value it seems to make sense to future proof myself for 8k now while I have the opportunity...

...unless you can think of a reason why I shouldn't considering the facts I laid out above.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:13 PM »
It isn't "store credit", it's a warranty trade-in of my tv for a "comparable" model up to the value I originally paid which is about $5,000. If I trade in for a $2,500 set I effectively give up any money left on the table (and as the warranty resets it behooves me to "spend" it all in case something happens with the new set).

AFAIK Costco does not stock the Emperium, so the issue is moot even if some of the reviews for it aren't that stellar. Actually I'm not sure if they stock the Q900 either.

Lastly, Sony just announced specs today for the PS5 or whatever it ends up being called to release next year, which will support some form of (likely upscaled/checkerboard/compression based) 8k, and considering I'm unlikely to upgrade my set next year and the price takes advantage of my trade in value it seems to make sense to future proof myself for 8k now while I have the opportunity...

...unless you can think of a reason why I shouldn't considering the facts I laid out above.

In that case, sounds good. But the PS5 running at 8K is going to be a real stretch.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2019, 09:04:02 PM »
So Costco doesn't carry the 8k one anyway.

All they carry is the Q7 series which is two steps down from the flagship Q9. Annoying as the local dimming isn't as good as the better versions. Alternately they carry the Vizio- PQ model. \

Which would you recommend?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2019, 10:06:32 AM »
So Costco doesn't carry the 8k one anyway.

All they carry is the Q7 series which is two steps down from the flagship Q9. Annoying as the local dimming isn't as good as the better versions. Alternately they carry the Vizio- PQ model. \

Which would you recommend?

I figured Costco wouldn't have that ultra-high-end gear. Given the selection, I'd probably go with the 65" Vizio PQ, but that's only $1,400 at Costco right now, which is an insane deal, but far from hitting your full trade-in value. If you have the space, you might consider the 82" Q7, which is overpriced in my opinion, but it sure is big!

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2019, 11:25:46 AM »
Yeah the choice seems to be between a new LG OLED, The Vizio-P, or the Samsung Q7. You think Vizio is better than Samsung? I wish they had the higher end Samsungs.

Sucks about the loss of trade in value I agree.

My space has a hard limit of 65 inches. When I posted the pic of my monster rig you might have seen that the screen fills the entire alcove.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2019, 11:47:46 AM »
Yeah the choice seems to be between a new LG OLED, The Vizio-P, or the Samsung Q7. You think Vizio is better than Samsung? I wish they had the higher end Samsungs.

Sucks about the loss of trade in value I agree.

My space has a hard limit of 65 inches. When I posted the pic of my monster rig you might have seen that the screen fills the entire alcove.

Oh, OK, I forgot about that 65" limit. Well, I do know that the Vizio PQ was better than last year's Samsungs, because I tested them both. I'm actually going to be getting in a Q8R for testing next month, but that will be after you need to make your decision. The Samsungs have improved a lot, at least at the high end, based on what I saw at CES, but I just don't know how much is sacrificed with the Q7. You can look over the specs, of course, but what I'm saying is that I don't know how that translates to picture quality.

I also really like that Vizio supports Dolby Vision, which Samsung does not and probably never will. So that is something I'm also factoring in, but if DV isn't important to you, I think the pendulum swings a bit in the Q7's favor versus the Vizio PQ. Also, Samsung's user interface, while not perfect, is definitely better than Vizio's.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2019, 01:34:31 PM »
I suppose I could always get a new LG OLED and then just replace it again when the inevitable burn in occurs,  as the 2 year warranty will reset, though it won't solve the near black pixelation problem.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2019, 03:04:56 PM »
I suppose I could always get a new LG OLED and then just replace it again when the inevitable burn in occurs,  as the 2 year warranty will reset, though it won't solve the near black pixelation problem.

FYI, you might be interested in reading my review of Samsung's 2019 Q80R 65" 4K TV.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:07:17 PM by Ari Altman »

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2019, 04:55:17 PM »
I ended up going with the Vizio-P. :)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 10:13:05 PM »
I ended up going with the Vizio-P. :)

That's also a great choice. The image quality is excellent.