Author Topic: TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide  (Read 2273 times)

TekHed

• View Profile
Re: TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2019, 01:46:11 PM »
It isn't "store credit", it's a warranty trade-in of my tv for a "comparable" model up to the value I originally paid which is about $5,000. If I trade in for a $2,500 set I effectively give up any money left on the table (and as the warranty resets it behooves me to "spend" it all in case something happens with the new set).

AFAIK Costco does not stock the Emperium, so the issue is moot even if some of the reviews for it aren't that stellar. Actually I'm not sure if they stock the Q900 either.

Lastly, Sony just announced specs today for the PS5 or whatever it ends up being called to release next year, which will support some form of (likely upscaled/checkerboard/compression based) 8k, and considering I'm unlikely to upgrade my set next year and the price takes advantage of my trade in value it seems to make sense to future proof myself for 8k now while I have the opportunity...

...unless you can think of a reason why I shouldn't considering the facts I laid out above.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:13 PM »
It isn't "store credit", it's a warranty trade-in of my tv for a "comparable" model up to the value I originally paid which is about $5,000. If I trade in for a $2,500 set I effectively give up any money left on the table (and as the warranty resets it behooves me to "spend" it all in case something happens with the new set).

AFAIK Costco does not stock the Emperium, so the issue is moot even if some of the reviews for it aren't that stellar. Actually I'm not sure if they stock the Q900 either.

Lastly, Sony just announced specs today for the PS5 or whatever it ends up being called to release next year, which will support some form of (likely upscaled/checkerboard/compression based) 8k, and considering I'm unlikely to upgrade my set next year and the price takes advantage of my trade in value it seems to make sense to future proof myself for 8k now while I have the opportunity...

...unless you can think of a reason why I shouldn't considering the facts I laid out above.

In that case, sounds good. But the PS5 running at 8K is going to be a real stretch.