Author Topic: TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide  (Read 6372 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 06:01:33 PM »
So the 65" LG OLEDB7 I purchased less than two years ago already has burn in. The good news is I purchased from Costco and it has a 2 year warranty. They determined it is a panel defect and are going to replace it with a tv of similar value. I bought the B7 right when it came out so it was nearly $5,000 after tax. I was told I could hold off until the new models come out and get the equivalent for this year.

2 questions:

1. When is LG going to release their new OLED models for this year? I have until 5/4 to make the return. Will the new models be out by the end of April? I hear they will have HDMI 2.1 and support up to 120 frames, but you mentioned something about my 2080tis not being able to interface with the tv anyway?

2. I wonder if Costco will carry the new BFGD and if they would let me replace it with one of those and just pay whatever the difference in price will be (if any) at that time...

What you really want is the new HP Emperium, which is now available for pre-order. I guess you can't get cash back - man, you put a lot of money into the B7! Definitely ask Costco if they'll sell the HP, although my guess is no, as they really don't serve that audience.

You can't use HDMI 2.1 with current video cards, as they only have HDMI 2.0. The new LG's are really targeting Xbox One X owners, which has 2.1. For gaming purposes, I'd go with Samsung, especially given your experience with burn-in. Samsung's models should be out by April.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 08:13:04 PM »
Called the manager at Costco...

He said they usually just buy from LG, Samsung, and Vizio, but I made a pleading case to ask his buyer to look into the HP Emerium...if they are carrying the top end OLEDs they may as well carry the latest high end monitor around the same price.

It's a long shot though. Best case I can get the newest model of LG OLED if they come out in time or an equivalently priced model of Samsung. Would you recommend the Samsung over the LG OLED? Will LG finally fix the near-black pixelation issue? If you recommend Samsung, which model would you suggest?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 09:10:36 PM »
Called the manager at Costco...

He said they usually just buy from LG, Samsung, and Vizio, but I made a pleading case to ask his buyer to look into the HP Emerium...if they are carrying the top end OLEDs they may as well carry the latest high end monitor around the same price.

It's a long shot though. Best case I can get the newest model of LG OLED if they come out in time or an equivalently priced model of Samsung. Would you recommend the Samsung over the LG OLED? Will LG finally fix the near-black pixelation issue? If you recommend Samsung, which model would you suggest?

First of all, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest you do not spend the full $5,000 on a new TV. Is there something else you can buy with some of the credit, like a refrigerator, washer/dryer, lawnmower, etc.? The reason being that unless you can get the Emperium, there is no reason to spend $5,000 for a gaming-centric TV.

And as long as you mention that they carry Vizio, I will put in another pitch for the Quantum PQ65. It's currently $1,500, which makes it an insane deal. It has the brightest picture on the market, will do 1080p/120Hz over HDMI, and has fantastic 4K HDR image quality. Its user interface is pretty barebones, and it uses a ton of power, but nothing can touch it at this price. I really don't know if any 2019 TVs will be available from Samsung or LG by early May - given previous years' release schedules, you may be cutting it close, and no models were actually announced at CES (other than 8K TVs and LG's rollable 4K).

If you absolutely have to blow the entire $5,000 on a TV, you can hedge your bets and hope that the new Samsung Q9F 65" arrives by late April. It should beat the LG hands down for overall image quality, and it's what I'd choose for gaming.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »
Nope. It's not actually credit. It's "replacement of equivalent product due to panel defect under warranty."

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 09:36:47 PM »
Nope. It's not actually credit. It's "replacement of equivalent product due to panel defect under warranty."

Understood. Then wait for news from Samsung on its Q9F, which will be its top 4K model for 2019. You could also consider going with an 8K model, as the Q9F will be priced at around $3,500, and you could make the case that they have to provide a similarly-priced model... but it will be a tough sell, I think Costco will want you to stick to a 4K.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 10:17:34 PM »
Lol...as if 8k content even exists. 4k is barely catching on...

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2019, 09:22:32 AM »
Lol...as if 8k content even exists. 4k is barely catching on...

8K TVs are where you'll see all the innovation going forward, because manufacturers can build much higher margins into the pricing. Samsung confirmed to me that the only 4K model that will have the premium panel and features for 2019 is the Q9F.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2019, 11:26:33 AM »
Please explain the higher margin.

I mean I get they need to push forward but it's ultimately all about content.

At what point does it becomes irrelevant to the human eye?

The upscaling needs to be good too. An 8k TV will sick if it males older content like Game of Thrones look terrible. Avatar the Last Airbender comes to mind as it was made before HD, and the first season in particular looks terrible now, which is a shame because it's one of my favorite shows of all time.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 03:01:26 PM »
Please explain the higher margin.

I mean I get they need to push forward but it's ultimately all about content.

At what point does it becomes irrelevant to the human eye?

The upscaling needs to be good too. An 8k TV will sick if it males older content like Game of Thrones look terrible. Avatar the Last Airbender comes to mind as it was made before HD, and the first season in particular looks terrible now, which is a shame because it's one of my favorite shows of all time.

8K is the new 4K, and 4K is the new 1080p. It doesn't matter to TV manufacturers if the content isn't there, as the device to watch it on has to come first, and 4K is old news. Yes, five years in and we're still waiting on good streamed 4K content, and we'll be waiting a lot longer, as there's a third piece of the puzzle: lagging broadband development. It could be that 5G is the spark that really makes extreme streaming possible, but today, most people simply can't stream 4K fast enough to make it look good, and so content providers don't provide it. Catch-22.

The good news is that 4K UHD Blu-Rays look great, and players are very reasonably priced at this point. I personally recommend the Sony X700. I've heard absolutely nothing about 8K disc content, but I'm sure everyone in the industry knows that this will be an absolute necessity for 8K TVs to catch on. The amount of bandwidth that 8K streaming would require would likely sink 5G networks that don't even exist yet. Just not a good use of additional bandwidth. 1080p content requires a minimum of 12Mbps to look good. 4K content needs about 60Mbps. 8K content would need something like 250Mbps. 5G wireless will provide around 480Mbps by my educated guess, but filling that up with 8K streams will be a total waste of the bandwidth and the tremendous investment required to bring it to market.

In any event, going forward, 8K TVs will be where the newest tech is offered, because manufacturers can charge a huge premium for 8K prestige, helping to make up the R&D costs required to improve image quality. The upscaling is actually going to be pretty good, as it will be enhanced by AI. With that said, for your purposes, a great 4K TV will be the perfect solution, and luckily for at least one more year, there will be a great 4K TV: the 2019 Samsung Q9F, which I witnessed in action in a private showing at CES.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2019, 10:37:50 AM »
Just FYI, Samsung has announced the successor to the 2018 Q9 4K TV - it's now called the Q90R, and you can see the specs here. The price has not yet been announced, but given that the 65" Q900 8K TV is $5,000, the 4K model should be around $3,500.

A couple of important upgrades to this TV versus last year are the vastly improved off-angle viewing (which I witnessed in person at CES), along with even better HDR lighting and by far the best image processing on the market, which leads to much smooth color gradients.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 10:46:41 AM »
I believe my burn in issues were worse than most people because I use the TV as my monitor meaning there are static elements on the screen more often and for longer than most people's use.

Will a non oled fare better?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2019, 10:48:08 AM »
I believe my burn in issues were worse than most people because I use the TV as my monitor meaning there are static elements on the screen more often and for longer than most people's use.

Will a non oled fare better?

Without a doubt. You really can't use an OLED as a monitor.

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2019, 11:00:52 AM »
Wish I knew!

One thing I might consider is do the trade for the new $5,000 oled, sell it for $4500, and use the cash to buy an Emperium...

TekHed

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 11:54:38 AM »
Hey hey, pretty much time to make my trade in (my replacement warranty expires on May 3rd).

So...I've read some reviews on the Emperium that have been less than kind.

I can trade in up to the value of my LG OLED B7 at purchase so basically $5,000 worth of value...

...soooo, is there any reason I wouldn't want to go whole hog with this beauty:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1451748-REG/samsung_qn65q900rbfxza_q900_series_65_class_8k.html
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 12:13:28 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 12:25:50 PM »
Hey hey, pretty much time to make my trade in (my replacement warranty expires on May 3rd).

So...I've read some reviews on the Emperium that have been less than kind.

I can trade in up to the value of my LG OLED B7 at purchase so basically $5,000 worth of value...

...soooo, is there any reason I wouldn't want to go whole hog with this beauty:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1451748-REG/samsung_qn65q900rbfxza_q900_series_65_class_8k.html

So, 8K sets are not something I've paid particularly close attention to. I think we are very far away from realizing the potential of 8K, given how challenging 4K has been. If you have $5,000 in store credit, you should probably spend it on something that will deliver you some tangible benefits. I still think the HP Empirium is the set to buy if you're into gaming, as no TV can come close to its features for high-end gaming. But if you're not sold on 144Hz G-Sync at 4K, then I'd suggest the 75" Q90R 4K TV. Significantly larger screen for the same price as the 65" 8K. Another thing to consider is that 8K TVs use twice as much power as 4K TVs to display the same image, which makes them much more costly to run, and a bit of a waste if you can't see much benefit from 8K.

I know Samsung talks a lot about upscaling, but based on what I saw at CES, I just don't think that makes an 8K TV worth buying today.

Maybe in 5 years 8K will make some sense...