Author Topic: TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide  (Read 649 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide
« on: May 03, 2018, 10:02:43 PM »
Comments or questions on TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide? Post them here!

bensrichards

• View Profile
Re: TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 06:54:41 AM »
Hey Ari,

I'm still having fun working on my living room gaming set up.  To that end, I was wondering if I could get your opinion as between two TVs.  I'm looking at the Vizio E43-F1 and the TCL 43S517.  I have hard physical size limitations and can't fit anything larger than about 45" diagonal screen in my living room with our furniture.  We have a Vizio now that's been a great performer for the last 5 years, but we also really like Roku for our streaming (we use a roku stick in the current Vizio).  I know both of these options aren't on your guide, and I'm guessing they can't compete on outright image quality, but I was wondering if you could weigh in as between the two of them.  Alternatively, if you have another suggestion for a 43" TV, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
-Ben

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's 4K TV Buyer's Guide
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 07:29:06 AM »
Hey Ari,

I'm still having fun working on my living room gaming set up.  To that end, I was wondering if I could get your opinion as between two TVs.  I'm looking at the Vizio E43-F1 and the TCL 43S517.  I have hard physical size limitations and can't fit anything larger than about 45" diagonal screen in my living room with our furniture.  We have a Vizio now that's been a great performer for the last 5 years, but we also really like Roku for our streaming (we use a roku stick in the current Vizio).  I know both of these options aren't on your guide, and I'm guessing they can't compete on outright image quality, but I was wondering if you could weigh in as between the two of them.  Alternatively, if you have another suggestion for a 43" TV, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
-Ben

Hey, Ben, thanks for checking in!

Here's the honest truth - TCL isn't on the list because I think its TVs are overrated. I did some work with a TV testing company earlier this year, and we had seven models on hand, including the  TCL 55S4505, TCL's top-selling 2017 55" model. I was not impressed. The picture quality was quite bad, very dim with colors that were way off. The one benefit this had was that it used very little power compared to other TVs (because it had such poor backlighting).

Vizio, on the other hand, is doing amazing things at low prices. In the lab, we tested the Vizio M50 (which TBG reviewed here), and it was incredible for the price versus the competition. Very bright, excellent HDR, and a very nice built-in streaming system. I know that TCL's Roku is pretty slick, but in no way is it a big enough benefit to outweigh the fact that TCL makes bad TVs. The one strike against Vizio is that it uses more power than competing TVs, because it's much brighter.

And another thing to consider: TCL is a Chinese company, Vizio is the only American TV company. For some, that may be another plus for Vizio.

By the way, if you'd like to support the Forum, you can purchase the Vizio E43 from B&H Photo Video. Amazon does not sell Vizio due to a strategic partnership with TCL (which I think is a big mistake, as you could probably guess!).