Author Topic: Help/Opinion on motherboard replacement  (Read 1315 times)

seanicboom

• View Profile
Help/Opinion on motherboard replacement
« on: April 13, 2018, 05:53:09 PM »
Hi Ari et. All,
I built up the August 2016 variant of the "VR-ready Mini-ITX PC". I've been super happy with it, and it's held up incredibly well despite being almost 2 years old at this point.

To my dismay, I spilled just the tiniest bit of water on the case the other day, and I suspect a drip may have landed on the mobo, as it currently wont post. Motherboard light will turn on when power is supplied, but no response when hitting the power button. I did the paperclip test on the power supply and it spun up, so all signs point to mobo being fried. I gave it a week to dry out and no luck. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

That said, if I did have to replace the mobo, what should I replace it with? Things are pretty tight in the case so I wouldn't want to risk buying something without checking in first  ;D

Thanks for the help, link to the build is here:

The $1,500 VR-Ready Mini-ITX PC - August 2016
https://techbuyersguru.com/1500-ultra-compact-mini-itx-pc-archive#2016

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help/Opinion on motherboard replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:36:00 PM »
seanicboom - so sorry to hear that you may have damaged the motherboard. They are very sensitive to moisture, unfortunately, so it is possible that just a few drops caused a problem.

As listed in the Archives, back in August 2016, you would have purchased an Asus Z170I board with a Core i7-6700K processor. Both of these are now EOL, and the replacement for that board, the Asus Z270I, seems to be out of production as well. Note that the newest chipset, the Z370, will not work with your CPU.

But don't worry - there's an easy solution! You can go with the MSI Z270I Pro Carbon board, which is currently on super-sale at Newegg ($120 after $30 rebate). It's a good board and will drop right into your system.

Do note that Intel has abandoned this socket, so if you wanted to take the opportunity to upgrade to a new processor, you might consider doing that now. Feel free to ask for the best options in that regard. The 6700K is still a fantastic CPU, however, so I'd probably stick with it (in fact, it's exactly what I am personally running right now in my SG13 build!)

seanicboom

• View Profile
Re: Help/Opinion on motherboard replacement
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 03:16:03 PM »
Thank you, Ari!
I've ordered the MSI Z270I board, as I definitely still happy with the 6700K as my processor.
I'll let you know how the install goes!  ;D