Author Topic: $1,500 Ultra Compact Build Questions  (Read 654 times)

Rk

• View Profile
$1,500 Ultra Compact Build Questions
« on: April 11, 2018, 03:32:14 PM »
I recently built the $1,500 ultra compact mini-itx build with everything current (April 2018 https://techbuyersguru.com/1500-ultra-compact-mini-itx-pc-build )
except for the PSU is the Silverstone SX500-G. Iím confused on several things.

First, it powers on, meaning the leds, arctic fan, cooler fan, gpu fan and led, all turn on,  but doesnít boot with a windows 10 bootstick so something is wrong still.

RAM, , the M.2 ssd, and the i5 8600k all appear to be installed correctly, as does the cooler and GPU, so iím guessing its the PSU. How many total cables should I be using?
I havenít plugged in any SATA power because the SATA power cable that comes with the PSU doesnít fit the sata3 ports on the z370m-itx/ac so that might be it. Any recommendations would be great.

I can add pictures here if it helps, but the tiny build makes comprehensive pictures difficult so specifica would be great. Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: $1,500 Ultra Compact Build Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 09:17:40 PM »
I recently built the $1,500 ultra compact mini-itx build with everything current (April 2018 https://techbuyersguru.com/1500-ultra-compact-mini-itx-pc-build )
except for the PSU is the Silverstone SX500-G. Iím confused on several things.

First, it powers on, meaning the leds, arctic fan, cooler fan, gpu fan and led, all turn on,  but doesnít boot with a windows 10 bootstick so something is wrong still.

RAM, , the M.2 ssd, and the i5 8600k all appear to be installed correctly, as does the cooler and GPU, so iím guessing its the PSU. How many total cables should I be using?
I havenít plugged in any SATA power because the SATA power cable that comes with the PSU doesnít fit the sata3 ports on the z370m-itx/ac so that might be it. Any recommendations would be great.

I can add pictures here if it helps, but the tiny build makes comprehensive pictures difficult so specifica would be great. Thanks!

Welcome to the TBG Forum, Rk!

The problem you're having is very common when first putting together a PC build. A few trouble-shooting steps will definitely get you up and running.

First things first, the SATA power cable you mentioned doesn't attach to the motherboard, it attaches to the hard drive, but we can put that aside for now, since this build actually doesn't use a 2.5" SATA drive, it uses an M.2 drive, which requires no power cable.

So, let's focus on getting into the BIOS. TO do so, here are the steps you need to take:

(1) If you have the video card installed, make sure that you have power cables attached to its 8-pin power connector, and that your monitor cable is attached to the video card, not the motherboard.

(2) If you can reach them, attempt to remove and re-seat the memory sticks. Having published a step-by-step assembly manual for this system, I know that this is NOT an easy thing to do when the system is built up, but give it a try. You should check it out if you haven't already (the link in the buyer's guide was unfortunately for a different ITX system, but that's been updated).

(3) Ensure that you have the 24-pin power supply cable firmly seated in the motherboard, as well as the 4+4-pin CPU power cable at the top edge of the motherboard.

Report back once you've tried all these things.

Rk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »
Thanks for the super fast response! And the updated assembly guide - that confused me before. Weirdly enough it was the display port not working either on my monitor or video card because when I switched to using HDMI it went to the BIOS and I'm currently installing windows from the bootstick.

I'm not sure what would cause display port not to work but HDMI. It could be my monitor, but any idea on what that would be if it's something with the video card? It has 3 display port ports and none of them worked, but the 1 HDMI worked.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 09:30:03 PM »
Thanks for the super fast response! And the updated assembly guide - that confused me before. Weirdly enough it was the display port not working either on my monitor or video card because when I switched to using HDMI it went to the BIOS and I'm currently installing windows from the bootstick.

I'm not sure what would cause display port not to work but HDMI. It could be my monitor, but any idea on what that would be if it's something with the video card? It has 3 display port ports and none of them worked, but the 1 HDMI worked.

Glad you got it working via HDMI. It's possible the monitor's port isn't working. You can test this by removing the video card and attempting to use the motherboard's built-in DisplayPort output. If it doesn't work, you probably have a monitor issue. If it does work, then yes, there could be something wrong with the video card, although that is a very unusual issue.

Rk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 10:33:13 PM »
Just had to tweak some settings on the monitor. Everything is working really well now. Great build all around!

One last question I can't seem to find an answer to is what the intermittent blinking red light is on the front of the SilverStone SG13 case. There's the nice blue leds (though if I could change their color I would) but then the red center blinking light. Any idea what that's signaling? Processing? Low power?

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 11:26:33 PM »
Just had to tweak some settings on the monitor. Everything is working really well now. Great build all around!

One last question I can't seem to find an answer to is what the intermittent blinking red light is on the front of the SilverStone SG13 case. There's the nice blue leds (though if I could change their color I would) but then the red center blinking light. Any idea what that's signaling? Processing? Low power?

Thanks!

Glad you got it working!

That red light's probably your hard drive activity light. SilverStone typically goes with red even though it can clash with other built-in lighting. If you can reach inside to the front panel connectors on the motherboard, you can unplug the HDD activity cable, which will shut that light off. Just make sure not to pull your power switch cable, because you need that to turn the system on!