Author Topic: New Build - Video Card not recognized and System Time Keeps Changing -- Solved!  (Read 870 times)

socal580

• View Profile
Looking for some advice.  I've built a number of desktop PCs using the parts and buyers guides recommended on this site.  Never a problem with any of the previous systems.  However, with my most recent build, I am having some issues.  The system will not recognize the video card.  I'm not sure if it is related, but the system time keeps resetting from GMT -8 to GMT.

The system boots fine, and I am getting a video signal from the DVI port on the card.  The system is built around the GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming Motherboard, and the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card.  However, the Nvidia drivers will not install, and the Nvidia card does not appear in the device manager.  The only video device appearing there is the generic MS device.  Since I am connected to the output of the graphics card, I am not sure what's going on here.  Also, the fans on the graphics card are not spinning, even though the card is pretty warm.

I have tried moving the card from one slot to the other, and have also tried both PCIe connectors.  When I try to install the drivers, from either the DVD or directly from Nvidia, I get the message that the driver "is not compatible with this version of Windows."  I am running 64 bit Windows, and I selected the 64 bit driver.

Does this sound like a graphics card problem, a MB problem, or something else.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:00:41 PM by socal580 »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Looking for some advice.  I've built a number of desktop PCs using the parts and buyers guides recommended on this site.  Never a problem with any of the previous systems.  However, with my most recent build, I am having some issues.  The system will not recognize the video card.  I'm not sure if it is related, but the system time keeps resetting from GMT -8 to GMT.

The system boots fine, and I am getting a video signal from the DVI port on the card.  The system is built around the GIGABYTE GA-AB350-Gaming Motherboard, and the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 3GB GDDR5 Graphics Card.  However, the Nvidia drivers will not install, and the Nvidia card does not appear in the device manager.  The only video device appearing there is the generic MS device.  Since I am connected to the output of the graphics card, I am not sure what's going on here.  Also, the fans on the graphics card are not spinning, even though the card is pretty warm.

I have tried moving the card from one slot to the other, and have also tried both PCIe connectors.  When I try to install the drivers, from either the DVD or directly from Nvidia, I get the message that the driver "is not compatible with this version of Windows."  I am running 64 bit Windows, and I selected the 64 bit driver.

Does this sound like a graphics card problem, a MB problem, or something else.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

socal580,

Let's get a few things out of the way first:
(1) the fans on the graphics card will not spin until it's under load. That's a feature, not a flaw.
(2) the loading of a generic MS driver is exactly what should happen when you first boot the PC.

Here are the things I would be focusing on:
(1) The system clock. If it's not functioning, it could throw off a lot of software. Enter the BIOS and set it there, save, reboot, and then shut down and unplug the system. Then start it up again and enter the BIOS. See if the clock has maintained the right time. If not, you may need a new motherboard battery.
(2) The issue with Windows compatibility may come from the OS not being fully authorized. Where did you source your copy of Windows 10? I'm wondering if its a full retail version. Even if it is, it may not be authorized yet, which could result from the clock issue. Type "System" into the task bar to open the system control panel, and check to see if Win10 is activated.

Try those steps and report back. I don't think this is a hardware problem.

socal580

• View Profile
socal580,

(1) the fans on the graphics card will not spin until it's under load. That's a feature, not a flaw.
(2) the loading of a generic MS driver is exactly what should happen when you first boot the PC.

(1) The system clock. If it's not functioning, it could throw off a lot of software. Enter the BIOS and set it there, save, reboot, and then shut down and unplug the system. Then start it up again and enter the BIOS. See if the clock has maintained the right time. If not, you may need a new motherboard battery.
(2) The issue with Windows compatibility may come from the OS not being fully authorized. Where did you source your copy of Windows 10? I'm wondering if its a full retail version. Even if it is, it may not be authorized yet, which could result from the clock issue. Type "System" into the task bar to open the system control panel, and check to see if Win10 is activated.

I got windows authorized.  Not sure why it wouldn't take the activation code before, but system now lists Windows 10 as fully authorized.

Got the time updated in the Bios.  It holds the correct time through a shutdown, unplugging and reboot.  The time also displays correctly in Windows.

Still no Nvidia graphics card in the Device Manager.  The only display adapter listed is "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

Thanks,

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
socal580,

I got windows authorized.  Not sure why it wouldn't take the activation code before, but system now lists Windows 10 as fully authorized.

Got the time updated in the Bios.  It holds the correct time through a shutdown, unplugging and reboot.  The time also displays correctly in Windows.

Still no Nvidia graphics card in the Device Manager.  The only display adapter listed is "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter".

Thanks,

OK, progress, now you need to get the Nvidia drivers installed. Make sure you download the correct driver package for your OS from the Nvidia website - which I'm assuming is Windows 10 64-bit. Don't worry about what shows up in the Device Manager. It's not going to show the right thing until you have the drivers installed.

socal580

• View Profile
Nvidia driver would still not install.  "This driver is not compatible with your version of Windows"

I went into Windows Update, and saw a number of updates that needed to be done.  I thought that would have happened automatically with a clean installation.  Anyway, I'll try the driver update again afer the updates complete.

socal580

• View Profile
Problem solved!  Installing all of the Windows updates fixed the problem.  These updates DID NOT install using the normal channels.  The support rep at Nvidia directed me to a MS link with a new windows update called "Windows 10 Fall Creators Update."  Until I installed this rather large update, the Nvidia driver would not install.  Once installed, the driver was automatically updated, and is now recognized in the Device Manager.

Ari, thanks for the help!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Problem solved!  Installing all of the Windows updates fixed the problem.  These updates DID NOT install using the normal channels.  The support rep at Nvidia directed me to a MS link with a new windows update called "Windows 10 Fall Creators Update."  Until I installed this rather large update, the Nvidia driver would not install.  Once installed, the driver was automatically updated, and is now recognized in the Device Manager.

Ari, thanks for the help!

This forum thread will no doubt help others who are confused as to why Nvidia GeForce Drivers aren't loading on their Windows 10 systems. Due to the way the Spring  and Fall Windows 10 updates are pushed out, they appear as a different version of the OS to driver installation packages, which means companies like Nvidia and AMD actually have to create new drivers for each of these major updates. A pain for them, no doubt, and a source of confusion for PC users!