Author Topic: Stocking Up on RAM  (Read 1257 times)

CyanPile

• View Profile
Stocking Up on RAM
« on: January 23, 2018, 10:55:02 AM »
I'm planning on building a new PC in the summer of 2019. With RAM prices being on the rise, would it be wise to stock up now before 32GB exceeds my budget?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Stocking Up on RAM
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:34:13 PM »
I'm planning on building a new PC in the summer of 2019. With RAM prices being on the rise, would it be wise to stock up now before 32GB exceeds my budget?

Hey there, CyanPile! The Summer of 2019 is a really long way off, so it's hard to predict exactly how RAM prices will compare to what we're seeing today. The one insight I have is that prices will likely continue to rise until Q3'18, so if you were looking at building something in 6 months, then yes, it would make sense to stock up now. By Q4'18, we'll start to see prices dropping, but no one can say whether they'll drop down below where they are now by next summer.

One thing I should mention is that RAM prices are really out of sync due to how various SKUs sell out and get restocked at a higher price. So, for example, Corsair's ultra-high-end 4x8GB Vengeance RGB DDR4-3200 Kit is cheaper than any other 3200 kit, and cheaper than most 3000MHz kits too. That's the one I'd be buying right now if I wanted 32GB of RAM.