Author Topic: CES 2018  (Read 7281 times)

LongJon

• View Profile
Re: CES 2018
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2018, 03:29:30 PM »
Hahaha I donít blame you one bit 🤣

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2018, 10:59:32 AM »
Halfway through April and still nothing on those new monitors :/

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2018, 11:48:06 AM »
Halfway through April and still nothing on those new monitors :/

Actually, there has been news. Apparently, they've been spotted in European online stores, with a pricetag of...

Wait for it...

Any guesses? ....

$3,000!!!!

As I mentioned, there was no way for Nvidia and its partners to amortize the cost of these 144Hz HDR panels into 27" monitors, so they simply priced them like 65" TVs. My advice: wait for the actual 65" BFGDs that are coming later this year at $3,500.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »
Good lord!!  WOW.  I'm not sure if you know it not yet or if it has even been released yet but do you expect the first release of these BFGD's to only come at 65' or 27' monitors.  I know it'll be tough to price them right but I'm looking for something in between. 

2019 will be interesting.  I think i'll hold off on Samsung's 2018 TV line but I will almost certainly get a top of the line 2019 Samsung TV assuming it has HDMI 2.1.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2018, 08:04:56 PM »
Good lord!!  WOW.  I'm not sure if you know it not yet or if it has even been released yet but do you expect the first release of these BFGD's to only come at 65' or 27' monitors.  I know it'll be tough to price them right but I'm looking for something in between. 

2019 will be interesting.  I think i'll hold off on Samsung's 2018 TV line but I will almost certainly get a top of the line 2019 Samsung TV assuming it has HDMI 2.1.

Pretty sure all we'll see this year are 27" and 65". They are surprisingly going to be priced pretty similarly. I agree that something in between would be ideal for desktop use.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »

Pretty sure all we'll see this year are 27" and 65". They are surprisingly going to be priced pretty similarly. I agree that something in between would be ideal for desktop use.

Do you know what the response times are for these two new 27inch beasts? 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2018, 10:59:31 PM »
Likely going to be 4ms like most other VA and IPS panels. But remember that response time is less important in the age of G-Sync monitors. It is so much better to be "in sync" than to simply respond quickly to inputs.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 11:37:26 PM by Ari Altman »

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2018, 11:24:42 AM »
Likely going to be 4ms like most other VA and IPS panels. But remember that response time is less important in the age of G-Sync monitors. It is so much better to be "in sync" than to simply respond quickly to inputs.

I'm still running that Dell SDG16-27 inch g-sync monitor and it has 1ms response time but it's a TN panel and after seeing other monitors that are IPS they basically blow it away with image quality.  I just want to make sure when I do upgrade to another g-sync monitor like these (eventually down the road) that I won't be at a disadvantage going from 1ms to 4ms (both have g-sync).  Otherwise I'm sure it'll be a major improvement for me going from a 2015 TN panel in pretty much every other area.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2018, 05:18:45 PM »
The new monitors will be better, period.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2018, 02:23:37 PM »
I want to go all SSD on my parents PC we put together.  They currently have the crucial 500gb but it's almost full.  I wish Crucial or Samsung made a 3tb ssd.  Seems like those brands have a 2tb and a 4tb.  I might get a 2tb and when that gets filled up in 2-3 years just upgrade at that point.  Any product you recommend? 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2018, 05:23:51 PM »
I want to go all SSD on my parents PC we put together.  They currently have the crucial 500gb but it's almost full.  I wish Crucial or Samsung made a 3tb ssd.  Seems like those brands have a 2tb and a 4tb.  I might get a 2tb and when that gets filled up in 2-3 years just upgrade at that point.  Any product you recommend?

LongJon - you won't find 3TB SSDs because of the standard capacities of individual NAND chips. The available drive capacities are multiples of these chips.

I wouldn't get a 4TB drive for your parents (way too expensive), but a 2TB drive is at least somewhat reasonable. Right now the very best option is the Crucial MX500. Nothing can match it in terms of performance and capacity per dollar.

If your parents' PC happens to have a SATA-compatible M.2 slot on the motherboard, another great option is the WD Blue 3D 2TB M.2 drive. Comes in at the same price - $500. It's not quite as fast, but it avoids any additional cable clutter in the PC, and honestly, it's still plenty fast for your parents.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2018, 10:07:13 PM »
LongJon, since I know this is a topic you've followed closely, you might want to check out TBG's new 4K TV Buyer's Guide. I'd love to hear your comments in the forum thread I started here.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2018, 03:11:04 PM »
LongJon, since I know this is a topic you've followed closely, you might want to check out TBG's new 4K TV Buyer's Guide. I'd love to hear your comments in the forum thread I started here.

It's a good article.  There's a typo at the end of the introduction part fyi, this is the sentence below with the word highlighted.  Figured you'd want to know, i can care less lol.

"We list both current-year and previous-year models, because sometimes it really does pay to get a clearance model, given that in most cases not much changes from year to year (although some new models truly go represent a generational leap, and we'll highlight in this guide).

But i thought you were on team Samsung for 2018!  Haha.  I did go to Pensecola, FL's best buy 2 weeks ago because they were the first to have the 2018 Samsung QLED's.  And they had them all on display.  Q9 down to the Q6.  They are really impressive.  It's hard to tell a whole lot of difference in the show room but I could tell they were very impressive. 

Having said that, If I were buying a 65 inch TV today with money being no object, I would still buy a Samsung but I would be looking over my shoulder at the LG OLED's as I left.  Why?  I like bright images and colors that pop.  Samsung excels at that.  I also trust Samsung's technology more in TV's being they are tried and true LCD's at heart with tons of advancements thrown in.  I really feel like console gaming looks better and performs better on Samsung's.  I really can't wait for their Micro LED tech in the years to come. 

As far as LG's are concerned I hate their stands as far as how the TV's LOOK.  I don't understand why they have those goofy, ugly looking stands at the bottom and what not.  There isn't one 'beautiful' looking OLED TV in LG's lineup the last few years that has the minimalist look I love which Samsung mostly nails.  But as far as the picture quality (that I've only been able to see in a showroom) LG's OLED TV's look phenomenal.  Samsung's do too, but their something about the way LG's Oled's look in certain scenes that just make you stop and say.... WHOA.  I do think Samsung's brightness makes more brighter scenes look better on their sets but any who, it's sort of splitting hairs.

I say all that to say that is why for me personally, this is why I'm waiting on 2019.  I'm hoping with each passing year, Samsung gets closer to eliminating the gap between their sets and OLED while still offering all the benefits they normally offer.  That, and HDMI 2.1 of course.  I'm very curious was LG held back this year that may show in their 2019 sets.  I think 2019 could revolutionize in some ways the TV market because of HDMI 2.1.   

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2018, 03:19:22 PM »
Thanks so much, I fixed that sentence!

OK, so as much as I like Samsung, there is something unique about an OLED. It's just a different look. I just spent the past few weeks in a TV testing lab, and have had the C8P sitting in front of me all that time, along with samples from Sony, Samsung, Vizio, and TCL. Honestly, the OLED is the most interesting, but it's not the best at everything, not by a long shot.

And as you saw, there are in fact two Samsungs in the guide, along with two OLEDs. I think for most people, the extra money spent on the OLED in the 55" and 65" sizes is going to be money well spent, but my personal feeling is that the Samsungs produce a more realistic picture, and more accurate picture, and ultimately a better picture. OLEDs kind of punch colors out to the moon, which is really cool, but I truly believe that Samsung has a better handle on what an image should actually look like if it's going to replicate the real world.

We'll see what's in store for 2019, although I expect it won't be until at least 2020 that we see Samsung's micro LEDs in a standard size.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2018, 06:31:00 PM »
What's the deal with Nvidia's 2018 graphics cards?  When will they be announced?  Also what about Intel's Cannonlake 9700K?  Supposed to be Q2 2018 right?