Author Topic: CES 2018  (Read 7307 times)

LongJon

• View Profile
CES 2018
« on: December 07, 2017, 11:17:10 AM »
Long time no see Ari.  Things I'm hoping to get out of/learn about from CES in about a month are:

1.) TV's from LG/Samsung - curious to see if either of them innovate much from last years models.  I'm really thinking about hopping on the OLED train.  I keep seeing the LG c7 in Best Buy and wow it looks so much better than Samsung's top TV's to me. I've heard that LG's top 2018 OLED's might feature HDMI 2.1 FreeSync support.  Would love to pair that up to an Xbox One X which supports FreeSync.  I know that wouldn't beat what I have with the low m/s on my Gsync monitor but it would be pretty cool.  That's just one feature I'm looking to see if the new flagship TV's have or not.

2.) New Handycam Traditional Camcorders from Sony/LG or whoever else.  I was going to get the AX53 but I figured I'd wait for CES to see if they update it before I go out and spend that kind of money.  I'm really hoping they announce a new model or something.  Would preferably like to stick with Sony but that doesn't really matter.

3.) From everything you've told me and that I've read, the new 27' HDR 4k IPS monitors will come out in the first quarter or two of 2018.  Also read where their 32' counterparts are looking at a potential release at the end of 2018 in Q4.  That's what I want.  I'm hoping to hear about both sizes at CES and get a solid update on what's to come in the high end monitor market in 2018. 

- I'm sure I'll think of more of what I'd like to/hope to see the closer we get to CES haha. Hope you're doing well.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CES 2018
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 11:28:50 AM »
Long time no see Ari.  Things I'm hoping to get out of/learn about from CES in about a month are:

1.) TV's from LG/Samsung - curious to see if either of them innovate much from last years models.  I'm really thinking about hopping on the OLED train.  I keep seeing the LG c7 in Best Buy and wow it looks so much better than Samsung's top TV's to me. I've heard that LG's top 2018 OLED's might feature HDMI 2.1 FreeSync support.  Would love to pair that up to an Xbox One X which supports FreeSync.  I know that wouldn't beat what I have with the low m/s on my Gsync monitor but it would be pretty cool.  That's just one feature I'm looking to see if the new flagship TV's have or not.

2.) New Handycam Traditional Camcorders from Sony/LG or whoever else.  I was going to get the AX53 but I figured I'd wait for CES to see if they update it before I go out and spend that kind of money.  I'm really hoping they announce a new model or something.  Would preferably like to stick with Sony but that doesn't really matter.

3.) From everything you've told me and that I've read, the new 27' HDR 4k IPS monitors will come out in the first quarter or two of 2018.  Also read where their 32' counterparts are looking at a potential release at the end of 2018 in Q4.  That's what I want.  I'm hoping to hear about both sizes at CES and get a solid update on what's to come in the high end monitor market in 2018. 

- I'm sure I'll think of more of what I'd like to/hope to see the closer we get to CES haha. Hope you're doing well.

Hey Longjon, thanks so much for passing along these questions. I'm actually corresponding by e-mail at this very moment with multiple manufacturers, and I'm already on the schedule with LG, luckily, so I'll definitely be reporting on their latest tech. Have you seen the new review on TBG of Samsung's top-of-the-line Q9F? You might be interested in it. OLEDs are superior in a lot of ways, but they aren't  perfect, and a lot of tech reviewers are a bit blinded by their performance on static images (which is what I'm guessing a lot of them are using to test with!), and don't realize there are some weaknesses in LG's OLEDs.

And yes, I'll be talking to Nvidia about what exactly is going on with the HDR G-Sync monitors that it showed off last year. Also hoping to stop by Asus, but Acer actually doesn't exhibit at the show.

While I don't follow handycams much, I am attending the Sony press conference, so they'll surely be talking about that area of the market if they have anything new coming out.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:05:12 PM »
Not going to lie, It's pretty awesome that you will be there and I can ask you questions lol.  Yeah I have the Samsung KS8000 and I really like it.  I Just read that review of the Q9F.  I think Samsung's QLED's greatest quality is their superior brightness and fast moving scenes/sports.  Where as OLED's claim to fame is their black levels and more accurate color reproduction. 

I've never had a plasma or an OLED.  It's a bit perplexing to me that burn in is still an issue in 2017/2018.  I hope these new TV's help out with that.  And what do you mean by a static image?  An image that is on screen and not moving?  Like paused on something?  If one specific image is left on these TV's for a while, what EXACTLY will happen?  The out line of that image may be forever burned into the TV?  Sorry I've heard about this topic for many years and read about it many times but have never been able to fully wrap my head around it.  I know it's a big deal and those TV's #1 weakness.

I hope Samsung drops their MSRP's for the 2018 tv's.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:15:33 PM »
Not going to lie, It's pretty awesome that you will be there and I can ask you questions lol.  Yeah I have the Samsung KS8000 and I really like it.  I Just read that review of the Q9F.  I think Samsung's QLED's greatest quality is their superior brightness and fast moving scenes/sports.  Where as OLED's claim to fame is their black levels and more accurate color reproduction. 

I've never had a plasma or an OLED.  It's a bit perplexing to me that burn in is still an issue in 2017/2018.  I hope these new TV's help out with that.  And what do you mean by a static image?  An image that is on screen and not moving?  Like paused on something?  If one specific image is left on these TV's for a while, what EXACTLY will happen?  The out line of that image may be forever burned into the TV?  Sorry I've heard about this topic for many years and read about it many times but have never been able to fully wrap my head around it.  I know it's a big deal and those TV's #1 weakness.

I hope Samsung drops their MSRP's for the 2018 tv's.

What I meant about "static" images is that OLEDs look great in the demo material where the camera isn't moving, but they aren't so good with actual film, for various reasons.  And in fact, I don't think it's a surprise that LG is trying to market some of its OLEDs as digital picture frames, as they look very, very good displaying art (they can really approximate actual paintings), but then there's the burn-in issue.  Yes, you can get a faint ghost image that becomes  semi-permanent. It's not quite as bad as it was with plasmas, because you can usually do a refresh that removes it, and  the latest OLEDs actually have a very slight image shifting technology such that the image moves up and down a few pixels all the time to avoid burn in.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 09:50:55 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/hdmi-2-1-is-here-but-dont-worry-about-it-now/

Thatís a new article about the finalization did HDMI 2.1.  Man, some pretty awesome and exciting stuff there as far as features go.  I hope heís wrong about it coming in 2019 though.  But heís probably right. 

Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.

Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and video eliminates the delay that can result in blank screens before content is displayed.

Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency for smoother no-lag gaming, and real-time interactive virtual reality.

Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) allows the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity.

Thatís just the gaming features of HDMI 2.1.  Awesome stuff and thereís so much more. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 11:16:41 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/hdmi-2-1-is-here-but-dont-worry-about-it-now/

Thatís a new article about the finalization did HDMI 2.1.  Man, some pretty awesome and exciting stuff there as far as features go.  I hope heís wrong about it coming in 2019 though.  But heís probably right. 

Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.

Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and video eliminates the delay that can result in blank screens before content is displayed.

Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency for smoother no-lag gaming, and real-time interactive virtual reality.

Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) allows the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity.

Thatís just the gaming features of HDMI 2.1.  Awesome stuff and thereís so much more.

All sounds good. VRR could be a very big deal in terms of bringing down the price of variable refresh rate for Nvidia owners (if it's not blocked by Nvidia).

Note that QMS sounds like a much-needed fix to the tremendous handshake issues HDMI has had from the start.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »

All sounds good. VRR could be a very big deal in terms of bringing down the price of variable refresh rate for Nvidia owners (if it's not blocked by Nvidia).

Note that QMS sounds like a much-needed fix to the tremendous handshake issues HDMI has had from the start.

Agreed.  And yeah it all sounds awesome.  I'm sure if there is a TV that supports it from LG, Samsung, or Sony, it'll be their very top end models and be priced out the you know what lol.  But nevertheless, it's fun to follow and see.  HDMI 2.1 is ridiculously future proof when you read its entire feature list.  Might be the next big thing for upgraders or especially gamers if it lives up to the hype.

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
Can you make CES come already? lol

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »
Can you make CES come already? lol

Just 10 days away!

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2018, 09:46:32 AM »
I see LG released their lineup.  No mention of HDMI 2.1 as expected but still some nice updates to their lineup.  Looks more like a moderate improvement.  Here this year is more of a tock/refinement year for LG and Samsung and next year will be a Tick/Overhaul kind of year?  At least that's how I understand it.

One more thing I want you to look at in addition to LG/Samsung TV's, Sony's updated Handycam Camcorder (successor to AX53), Exciting monitor news, is....

360 degree cameras.  As I'm now selling real estate, I would like to see if there are any updated/upcoming 360 cameras so I can create the best virtual tours possible.  Don't want to buy one now if a newer/better model is right around the corner being announced at CES.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 10:23:51 AM »
I see LG released their lineup.  No mention of HDMI 2.1 as expected but still some nice updates to their lineup.  Looks more like a moderate improvement.  Here this year is more of a tock/refinement year for LG and Samsung and next year will be a Tick/Overhaul kind of year?  At least that's how I understand it.

One more thing I want you to look at in addition to LG/Samsung TV's, Sony's updated Handycam Camcorder (successor to AX53), Exciting monitor news, is....

360 degree cameras.  As I'm now selling real estate, I would like to see if there are any updated/upcoming 360 cameras so I can create the best virtual tours possible.  Don't want to buy one now if a newer/better model is right around the corner being announced at CES.

The most exciting news from LG in my opinion is the enhanced processor for 120Hz output. I want to know what that's all about, and will certainly dig deeper. A lot of TVs have been marketed this way for years, but it's all been a bunch of fluff. Not real 120Hz. I'm meeting with LG on Wednesday at noon.

And I'll definitely check out Sony's Handycams for you. I'm attending their press conference on Monday, and big news like that will be mentioned, which I can follow up on at their booth once the show gets underway.

I'm also excited to have an appointment with Samsung's tech innovation hub, which is not open to the public. They've announced some health-related items, which are nice, but hopefully there will be some other interesting products more germane to this site.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »
Hey everyone - I've published a full itinerary for all the meet-ups TBG has planned for CES and Pepcom's Digital Experience preview show. Check it out and post your questions and comments here!

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
Awesome Ari!  Kinda jealous of you right now lol.  Enjoy it and can't wait to hear about it all!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 07:00:36 PM »
Awesome Ari!  Kinda jealous of you right now lol.  Enjoy it and can't wait to hear about it all!

I've got a lot of info for you direct from Sony, Samsung, LG, and Nvidia. Once i sort through all my pictures, videos, and notes, I'll fill you in!

LongJon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 12:11:32 PM »

I've got a lot of info for you direct from Sony, Samsung, LG, and Nvidia. Once i sort through all my pictures, videos, and notes, I'll fill you in!

Can't wait to hear it all!