Author Topic: TBG's Liquid Cooler Shootout  (Read 350 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG's Liquid Cooler Shootout
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
Comments or questions regarding TBG's article "Liquid Cooler Shootout: Pushing the Limits"?

Abowman

• View Profile
Re: TBG's Liquid Cooler Shootout
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:55:34 AM »
Excellent write up! I would agree it's definitely true most PC builders just straight recommend a Corsair H100i v2 for any liquid cooling because it's just always been the best. It's good for an amateur like me to see that there's better out there so thanks!

Just one question, how does the H100i v2 compare when it's on "Performance" mode? Can it keep up temperature-wise but is it just way louder overall?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's Liquid Cooler Shootout
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 11:50:42 AM »
Excellent write up! I would agree it's definitely true most PC builders just straight recommend a Corsair H100i v2 for any liquid cooling because it's just always been the best. It's good for an amateur like me to see that there's better out there so thanks!

Just one question, how does the H100i v2 compare when it's on "Performance" mode? Can it keep up temperature-wise but is it just way louder overall?

Excellent question, and I'm glad you asked it, because surely some may thing I was crippling the Corsair H100i v2 in this test.

But here's the deal: Corsair has skated by for years, winning lots of awards on the back of ultra-high-speed fans. In my opinion, this is a result of faulty testing by reviewers. The original H100i used 2700RPM fans. The H100i v2 uses 2500RPM fans. A step in the right direction, but still wholly unacceptable. For comparison's sake, here are the max RPM ratings for the fans of the other four liquid coolers in the test:

(1) Arctic: 1350RPM (fluid bearings)
(2) CoolerMaster: 2000RPM (fluid bearings)
(3) Reeven: 1600RPM (sleeve bearings)
(4) Thermaltake: 1500RPM (fluid bearings)

No other company is equipping its coolers with fans anywhere near as fast as Corsair's, and there's a reason: they sound terrible, and in my opinion are totally unusable at maximum RPMs.

So I decided to take a stand and test the H100i v2 in a way that would put it on par with its competitors, and in this case that mean "Quiet" mode. Heck, if I wanted a PC to sound like a leafblower, I'd just run a leafblower for a cooler!

Whether or not the H100i v2 could keep up at max RPM isn't that interesting to me, because for it to be a relevant test, I'd have to strap 2500RPM fans to its competitors too. As shown in the test, even with fans that run faster than the Reeven Naia, the Corsair is louder and hotter, so it's going to lose any way you slice it.