Author Topic: TBG Commentary: Intel's Long-Awaited Response to AMD's Ryzen  (Read 157 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
TBG Commentary: Intel's Long-Awaited Response to AMD's Ryzen
« on: October 05, 2017, 10:26:35 AM »
Comments or questions about TBG's commentary regarding Intel's 8th-Gen processors? Post them here!

bensrichards

• View Profile
Re: TBG Commentary: Intel's Long-Awaited Response to AMD's Ryzen
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 03:22:40 PM »
Hey Ari, just a quick question about a line in the article. Re: the 1151-v2 socket, am I correct in understanding that when you say the socket has been tweaked that it is physically different from the previous 1151 socket? More to the point, does this mean that 8th gen chips absolutely need a new mobo, unlike say 7th gen chips where I could use the same H110 board as long as the BIOS were updated?

Thanks in advance!

-Ben

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG Commentary: Intel's Long-Awaited Response to AMD's Ryzen
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 08:41:57 PM »
Hey Ari, just a quick question about a line in the article. Re: the 1151-v2 socket, am I correct in understanding that when you say the socket has been tweaked that it is physically different from the previous 1151 socket? More to the point, does this mean that 8th gen chips absolutely need a new mobo, unlike say 7th gen chips where I could use the same H110 board as long as the BIOS were updated?

Thanks in advance!

-Ben

The socket looks identical, in that it still has 1,151 pins, but the pins are assigned differently, with more dedicated to power delivery. Thus, you can physically install an 8th-gen chip in a 7th (or 6th-gen) board, but it will not power up, as it will not be receiving power from the appropriate number of pins. You can't do the opposite either, in that a 7th-gen CPU will receive power from pins in an 8th-gen board where it's expecting data. A mis-match either way.