Author Topic: Odd-Ball SFF Cooling/Case Question  (Read 1383 times)

bensrichards

• View Profile
Odd-Ball SFF Cooling/Case Question
« on: September 29, 2017, 09:02:53 PM »
Hi all,

I've been obsessively researching sff builds since I stumbled across TBG and built an STX computer for my home office. I've been toying around with a couple different potential builds, none of which match any of the buyer's guide builds exactly, but are definitely heavily informed by them. Hence, rather than junk up one of the threads for TBG's builds, I thought I'd start this one to ask some questions specific to the builds I'm contemplating. (Ari, if you'd prefer I move this over to an established thread, I'm happy to do that too).

First question relates to the NCase M1 and water cooling. Is there a major downside to placing a 240mm radiator on the bottom of a case like the M1? I'm interested in the M1 because it seems like it might be the smallest case that could accommodate liquid cooling both the cpu and the gpu. I saw an example online of someone using 2 AIO coolers each with a 120mm radiator mounted to the side of the case, so that would be one option with say a Corsaire H60 and a EVGA hybrid gpu. It looks kind of clunky though, and I know the TBG buyer's guide recommends against the H60 as compared to just going with air cooling. I'm more enamored with the open loop builds out there. The catch there is, for a SFF build, it seems to defeat the whole purpose of a small case if the reservoir ends up just hanging off the back of the case. I mean, cases could be tiny if you don't actually have to put all the parts inside the case! However, I've seen a couple builds that seem to manage liquid cooling with a reservoir placed internally next to the PSU at the front of the case. For each of these builds, it looks like the radiator is 240mm and mounted below the gpu on the very bottom of the case. Is placing the radiator there OK? I mean, heat rises, right? Seems like funneling heat to the bottom of a case may not be the most efficient strategy.

Follow-up question: could something like the EK Fluid Gaming A240G be used for a set up like I'm describing?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

-Ben

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Odd-Ball SFF Cooling/Case Question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 11:16:30 PM »
Before you go any further with this plan, I suggest you read this thread. Another reader got a bit burned with the overpromising by Ncase. It's not a model I recommend. Simply too small, more of an ultra-expensive thought experiment.