Author Topic: CPU selection for computations  (Read 269 times)

learner

• View Profile
CPU selection for computations
« on: August 15, 2017, 10:30:43 AM »
I want to build the $500 home pc with the components recommended (based on the ASRock DeskMini barebone).  I will use the pc for cpu intensive computations.  I am looking at the G4620.  Or would an i3/5 be better for this task?  I would like to keep the cost around $500 - $600.  I will be using Ubuntu for the OS.  Any suggestions deeply appreciated.  Thanks.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CPU selection for computations
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:46:28 AM »
I want to build the $500 home pc with the components recommended (based on the ASRock DeskMini barebone).  I will use the pc for cpu intensive computations.  I am looking at the G4620.  Or would an i3/5 be better for this task?  I would like to keep the cost around $500 - $600.  I will be using Ubuntu for the OS.  Any suggestions deeply appreciated.  Thanks.

Welcome to the TBG Forum, learner!

You'll really like the AsRock Deskmini STX system. It's incredibly compact and easy to build. For a system that will be used in computation-heavy tasks, there isn't much difference between the Pentiums and the Core i3 series. In fact, taking the entire spread from the Pentium G4600 at $87 to the Core i3-7100 at $115, you only go up from 3.6GHz to 3.9GHz. And the G4620 you're considering is really the odd man out, offering 3.7GHz speed at $100, which strikes me as a bad value. If you'd like an upgrade, you should go with the Core i3, which will be 8% faster for another $28. The G4620 just doesn't provide enough of a boost beyond the G4600 to make it worth buying.

Do you know if your software is multi-threaded? If so, you could get a nice boost going with the Core i5-7500 at $180, which has been discounted from its previous $205 pricetag thanks to competition from AMD. It's a 3.4GHz quad-core CPU, which means that versus the Pentium/Core i3 chips, it will be a lot faster in multi-threaded tasks, but slower in single-threaded tasks. So choose wisely!

learner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:08:08 PM »
Thank you very much for your reply.  The local shop here is offering the G4620 at $91; hence my interest.  I will take your advice and go with the 4600 or the i3. This will be used for scientific computations with all the software written by me (C++/Java/Python) and currently all are single threaded. I have been considering multithreading a few and so the i5 is tempting.  This is my very first complete  build.

I was going to use the NUC for this but I stumbled upon your wonderful site. It has truly been an education for me. Thanks.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 01:11:36 PM »
Happy to help. Actually, just yesterday another reader posted in the forum about how he was going to buy a NUC but then found this site and decided on the STX format. You can see his comments here.

When I saw that the STX components were becoming readily available, I rushed to get a full assembly guide out because I knew many potential builders would be very interested in it.

To the extent you can purchase from Amazon, please consider using the links in the current Buyer's Guide to help support future content! By the way, if you can get a G4620 for $91, it's a reasonable deal. It's about 2.5% faster than the G4600, which is selling online for $87. I'd pay an extra $4 for that, but not an extra $13.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 01:18:42 PM by Ari Altman »

learner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 08:39:07 PM »
Thank you very much.  I will certainly order these via your links.