Author Topic: TBG's $1,750 Content Creation PC Build  (Read 10264 times)

karchip

• View Profile
Re: TBG's $1,750 Content Creation PC Build
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2019, 07:12:26 AM »
Yes! thanks for reminding me about the guide.

Here is the list (made it public): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/karchip/saved/9NfTCJ

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor

Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste

ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard   $259.99

Corsair Vengeance LPX 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State DriveCorsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition Video Card

Phanteks Evolv X ATX Mid Tower Case   $193.00

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

BenQ SW271 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor

CableMod Basic Cable Extension Kit - 8+6 Pin Series - Black/White               

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »
Yes! thanks for reminding me about the guide.

Here is the list (made it public): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/karchip/saved/9NfTCJ

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor

Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste

ASRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard   $259.99

Corsair Vengeance LPX 128 GB (4 x 32 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory

Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State DriveCorsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Founders Edition Video Card

Phanteks Evolv X ATX Mid Tower Case   $193.00

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

BenQ SW271 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor

CableMod Basic Cable Extension Kit - 8+6 Pin Series - Black/White

The only thing I'm unclear about is the SSDs. Are you using a 2TB plus a 1TB and a 500GB?

Also, you don't really want the Founders Edition RTX 2080 Ti. It will overheat. Get the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black. That's the card I personally use - great performance for the price.

karchip

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »
Yes, so the three ssd is about using the 500gb for system and application use, the 1TB is for a dedicated scratch disk for photoshop. With my super large file sizes (uncompressed files can hit 250gb) I need a super fast scratch disk solely for PS. The third 2TB is for my active storage. Again, I want a fast drive so when saving and opening these massive files I can save some time. Currently it takes 15 minutes to open these crazy sizes.

Thanks for the graphics card note. I actually have been having second thoughts. I am a bit confused, because, yes, Iíd like to have a card that offers the processing power of the 2080ti, but I just read that they donít support 10 bit and therefore canít take advantage of my 10bit IPS monitors. My work is color critical as well. So, I donít know what to do. :) I definitely cannot afford a $2500 card or even more expensive. Apparently, only the Quadra cards support 10 bit? Do you have familiarity in these areas?

karchip

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2019, 03:17:08 PM »
Hi Ari, I just read this on Puget System's note about graphics card: "Photoshop works great with a Quadro card, but since 10-bit display support was added for GeForce in late July 2019, the main advantage of Quadro is the larger VRAM and slightly higher reliability." Should  my concern be over?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2019, 12:26:57 PM »
Hi Ari, I just read this on Puget System's note about graphics card: "Photoshop works great with a Quadro card, but since 10-bit display support was added for GeForce in late July 2019, the main advantage of Quadro is the larger VRAM and slightly higher reliability." Should  my concern be over?

The nvidia studio drivers did add some professional functionality to the GeForce line. The RTX 2080 Ti is therefore a good option for you.

By the way, in terms of SSDs, you could use a 500GB as your scratch and the 1TB for your OS, as the 1TB model is slightly faster and you won't leave anything on the scratch disk permanently that would fill it up.

karchip

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2019, 03:58:21 PM »
Sounds good, that makes sense.

Besides some cable extensions, what else comes up during the build that I maybe missing that makes sense to have on hand? Oh, I believe I need to add some case fans. The ones coming with the case are probably not that great. I was thinking of having three front fans one in the back and maybe couple on top???

Re using the TBG links to purchase items, I only saw a few items that from my list. Is there a specific place on TBG where I can link to more items? If yes can you please help me link to it?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2019, 07:41:39 PM »
Sounds good, that makes sense.

Besides some cable extensions, what else comes up during the build that I maybe missing that makes sense to have on hand? Oh, I believe I need to add some case fans. The ones coming with the case are probably not that great. I was thinking of having three front fans one in the back and maybe couple on top???

Re using the TBG links to purchase items, I only saw a few items that from my list. Is there a specific place on TBG where I can link to more items? If yes can you please help me link to it?

Actually, the Evolv X has excellent fans, and there's no need to replace them. If you'd like to add fans to the top, you should simply go with the best - pick up two of Noctua's NF-A14 black edition fans. If you want to max out your system, move the pre-installed rear fan to the front, and get a third Noctua fan for the rear.

You honestly don't need anything else, but if you'd like the best thermal paste, get a tube of Noctua NT-H2. The Scythe cooler comes with decent stuff, but NT-H2 is the best, and you'll have enough for many applications.

To purchase the items, you can follow any single link from the TBG guide, and then search from within Amazon for the other items you want. Anything added to the cart during that shopping trip will credit TBG as long as you buy it within 24 hours.

fredlegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2019, 07:36:01 AM »
Hello Ari.

First of all, thanks again for your help. My PC rocks because of you!

On my Gigabyte X470 Ultra gaming board, I currently have two SSDs installed:

1- Samsung 860 Evo 2TB M.2 drive
2- Crucial MX500 2TB 2.5" drive

As Black Friday is closing in, can I add a third SSD drive on that board? On a PCI slot I guess? If so, would you please recommend one with 2TB storage or 1TB if the deal is better, considering I'm in Canada.

Thanks a bunch.

Frederic.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2019, 08:29:48 AM »
Hello Ari.

As Black Friday is closing in, can I add a third SSD drive on that board? On a PCI slot I guess? If so, would you please recommend one with 2TB storage or 1TB if the deal is better, considering I'm in Canada.

Thanks a bunch.

Frederic.

Welcome back! Great to hear that the system is working for you. You have one more M.2 slot on that board, the long one is PCIe or SATA, so you must be using it for your 860 Evo.

For your other slot, you need to go PCIe, which is fine because the are lots of great options. But the very best deal is the XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2019, 11:50:58 AM »
Hello Ari.

Thanks a bunch.

Frederic.

Welcome back! Great to hear that the system is working for you. You have one more M.2 slot on that board, the long one is PCIe or SATA, so you must be using it for your 860 Evo.

For your other slot, you need to go PCIe, which is fine because the are lots of great options. But the very best deal is the XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB.

Actually, I found you an even better deal, assuming that a 2TB drive is your preference. The Gammix S11, which is identical to the SX8200 in everything but name, is available in a 2TB version for CDN$285. For whatever reason, the 2TB version of the SX8200 Pro isn't available on Amazon.ca, and I didn't think to look for this one before. But actually, it's an even better deal than the SX8200 Pro 1TB!