Author Topic: TBG's $1,750 Content Creation PC Build  (Read 10321 times)

Secret

• View Profile
Re: TBG's $1,750 Content Creation PC Build
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2019, 12:41:01 PM »
I ordered the u12s for the am4.  Well it certainly looks extremely close but 2mm is 2mm so I'll take it.  I get matching certain parts but it's an atx tower; I don't understand why you'd make a cooler sized that close to a majority of case widths.  It certainly is nice quality so I'm happy it should fit.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
I ordered the u12s for the am4.  Well it certainly looks extremely close but 2mm is 2mm so I'll take it.  I get matching certain parts but it's an atx tower; I don't understand why you'd make a cooler sized that close to a majority of case widths.  It certainly is nice quality so I'm happy it should fit.

160mm of clearance is quite standard in the industry. Very few mid-sized cases offer more, and the cooler makers know this, so every cooler that uses a 120mm fan is under 160mm tall. It will work out fine for you, don't worry!

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2019, 07:07:53 PM »
Good news, as you stated the cooler fit without issue; it's amazingly quiet.  Bad news, the view 32 case fans come on but the rgb lighting doesn't  work, and they forgot to include the front filter.  Emailed Thermaltake, now to see how good their customer service is.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2019, 12:47:26 PM »
Good news, as you stated the cooler fit without issue; it's amazingly quiet.  Bad news, the view 32 case fans come on but the rgb lighting doesn't  work, and they forgot to include the front filter.  Emailed Thermaltake, now to see how good their customer service is.

Please report back. I can follow up with my contact at thermaltake if necessary.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2019, 04:34:36 PM »
So I'll leave this feedback buried in this thread as I don't want to dog a possible sponsor on your site.  Tried to get a hold of Thermaltake a couple times with no response.  I didn't want to expire my return window so I sent the case back.  I ended up moving everything to :smackmyhead the p400s you recommended in the first place haha.  The lack of customer service response from Thermaltake may have been me not contacting the right email, idk, but moving on from there I do have feedback of the case itself.

There was the obvious issues of missing parts and non working fans, however beyond that I have a lot of gripes for a $150 case:

-Panel alignment was not great.  The hinges that attached to the glass were not completely square.
-The cable routing from the factory was terrible, the wires coming off the top panel board were a mess and there was a screw put through two of them which could have been the culprit of some of the issues.
-The hardware was junk.  I have to give Phanteks credit, they actually put the few extra cents into some better screws; from having worked in manufacturing for awhile I know it really does come down to cents.
-The fan control was a nightmare.  They use a proprietary 5 pin fan connection which is fine, but then they make 3 different kinds of fans.  I went on their website and got an extra Riing12 fan for the back that they recommend and it ended up being a 3 pin fan.  Plus how the hell do you have a 5 pin fan without any pwm control! 
-The black tint on the glass was coming off around the screws because the (felt I think) washers were so thin they were non-existent.

Overall I would not recommend that case.  It looks cool and has a lot of room but quality is super low.

The Phanteks case on the other hand, two thumbs up for the price.  Quality feel.  Not great, but good enough hardware.  Also came with a proprietary fan plug but you could control the fan speed if you wanted to from the case.  Much better filtration and ventilation.  Slightly smaller which was nice for mine since I didn't need room for radiators.  Much better cable management.  PSU cover.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 02, 2019, 09:03:13 PM »
So I'll leave this feedback buried in this thread as I don't want to dog a possible sponsor on your site.  Tried to get a hold of Thermaltake a couple times with no response.  I didn't want to expire my return window so I sent the case back.  I ended up moving everything to :smackmyhead the p400s you recommended in the first place haha.  The lack of customer service response from Thermaltake may have been me not contacting the right email, idk, but moving on from there I do have feedback of the case itself.

There was the obvious issues of missing parts and non working fans, however beyond that I have a lot of gripes for a $150 case:

-Panel alignment was not great.  The hinges that attached to the glass were not completely square.
-The cable routing from the factory was terrible, the wires coming off the top panel board were a mess and there was a screw put through two of them which could have been the culprit of some of the issues.
-The hardware was junk.  I have to give Phanteks credit, they actually put the few extra cents into some better screws; from having worked in manufacturing for awhile I know it really does come down to cents.
-The fan control was a nightmare.  They use a proprietary 5 pin fan connection which is fine, but then they make 3 different kinds of fans.  I went on their website and got an extra Riing12 fan for the back that they recommend and it ended up being a 3 pin fan.  Plus how the hell do you have a 5 pin fan without any pwm control! 
-The black tint on the glass was coming off around the screws because the (felt I think) washers were so thin they were non-existent.

Overall I would not recommend that case.  It looks cool and has a lot of room but quality is super low.

The Phanteks case on the other hand, two thumbs up for the price.  Quality feel.  Not great, but good enough hardware.  Also came with a proprietary fan plug but you could control the fan speed if you wanted to from the case.  Much better filtration and ventilation.  Slightly smaller which was nice for mine since I didn't need room for radiators.  Much better cable management.  PSU cover.

Thanks for your feedback on the Thermaltake View 32 and Phanteks P400S.

I'm sorry you had a negative experience with the Thermaltake case. It sounds like the wiring issue, at least, was an error in assembly at the factory. With that said, there is a clear distinction in the way Thermaltake and Phanteks design their cases. Thermaltake offers the most features for the dollar, while Phanteks focuses on the best user-experience and quality of materials, even if that means their cases are often a bit more expensive for a given set of specs. I still think the View 32 is a great high-end gaming case, but that's not actually what you were looking for, and that's why the Phanteks case is the recommended case for the Content Creation build.

By the way, on the issue of fans, I completely agree that Thermaltake simply has too many lines of fans. This is an issue I've raised to them in person at CES, and as it turns out, they are going to be delivering a new line of fans that uses the standard motherboard 3-pin ARGB header for easy compatibility. In fact, Thermaltake will be outfitting TBG with a complete case, fan, and cooler setup for a new PC builder's guide I'll be putting together, and I was very clear with them that the reason I agreed to feature Thermaltake in the article was that they were moving to a new industry standard design. They will join Cooler Master as the only company offering RGB cases and coolers that plug right into motherboard RGB headers, and TT has the advantage of MUCH better coolers than CM.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2019, 10:29:20 PM »
Every company should use standard 3 or 4 pin connectors.  Hopefully they'll all get to that point.  As for the case, I can chalk it up to a bad QC, but the lack of support isn't helping.  All I get on their contact page is a web form with no number, no hours, no email address.  Again I'll use Phateks as a comparison, they give technical support hours, phone numbers, email addresses, etc.  That is definitely another area they need to work on as good customer service is more important than a lot of companies think.  Even if I was to see good reviews for their products, I'm completely turned off by this experience. 

The system on the other hand is running great, I'll post some pics in a thread when I get everything looking nice.  Thanks so much for the parts help!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »
I've been pushing every manufacturer on the RGB standards issue, even grilling corsair publicly on this during their CES news conference. At least Cooler Master and Thermaltake have got the message.

As for quality control, thermaltake definitely still lags, and next month, I have a brand new case in mind for the $2,500 4K Gaming PC where the View 32 is currently listed.

Hint: it's from Phanteks, and I showcased it in my CES coverage.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2019, 05:11:58 PM »
Those Luxe cases look amazing.  I was back and forth on the 400s and 600s but the removable front wasn't doing it for me.  I can see it's purpose, but I'd rather see some better airflow designed into the case without me having to remove pieces.  Perhaps some type of louvers would serve both purposes better.  There's an idea for a high end case; have vents that are integrated into the motherboard temp sensors and can open when it gets too hot  8)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »
Those Luxe cases look amazing.  I was back and forth on the 400s and 600s but the removable front wasn't doing it for me.  I can see it's purpose, but I'd rather see some better airflow designed into the case without me having to remove pieces.  Perhaps some type of louvers would serve both purposes better.  There's an idea for a high end case; have vents that are integrated into the motherboard temp sensors and can open when it gets too hot  8)

You know, that was my feeling about the P600S too (just give me the airflow, skip the covers), so I'll have to give it more thought. I love the louver idea. Let me suggest that to a few manufacturers and see if it spawns some new designs!

The Luxe won't be here until the summer, and it will be premium priced, but it could wind up in the $5,000 guide.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2019, 09:06:58 AM »
Is that cooler in the new content guide the amd version?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2019, 09:49:34 AM »
Is that cooler in the new content guide the amd version?

Noctua has personally confirmed to me that all NH-U14S coolers now shipping through Amazon have updated packaging that includes the AM4 bracket. They are not releasing a new special edition SKU for this or other coolers, which makes sense now that Ryzen is completely mainstream and accounts for about 25-30% of all CPUs sold. I told Noctua that TBG readers would be confused by the Amazon product description that doesn't list AM4, and they said they are working on updating it!

For your reference, here's an excerpt from Noctua's press release that discusses the change:

The following CPU cooler models have been updated and now also include SecuFirm2™ mounting hardware for AM4: NH-C14S, NH-D15, NH-D15S, NH-D9L, NH-L9x65, NH-U12S, NH-U14S, NH-U9S. In addition to AM4, the coolers continue to include mounting hardware for Intel LGA2066, LGA2011, LGA1156, LGA1155, LGA1151, LGA1150 as well as the previous generation AMD platforms (AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3+/FM1/FM2/FM2+). As a result, they are now compatible with all current mainstream platforms out of the box.

Noctua has been shipping the updated versions with AM4 support for several months, so the stock that is in stores now already includes AM4 hardware. In the unlikely event that customers who buy new coolers should still receive old stock without AM4 mountings, they can still order free upgrade kits via Noctua’s website.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2019, 09:59:28 PM »
Good to know and good on them for including it.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2019, 01:09:01 PM »
That new 12 core 3900x has me a bit jealous now lol.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2019, 02:10:57 PM »
That new 12 core 3900x has me a bit jealous now lol.

I hear you. I actually delayed rolling out the 3900X by about two months because it was non-existent upon release, and then was selling for $300 over retail. Now it's settled into a price that's about 10% over retail, but you know what, it's worth it for content creation. Those 12 cores mean business. It's about 50% more than the 3800X, with 50% more cores. The market spoke and AMD listened: people wanted to pay more for the 3900X than AMD launched it for. Fair enough. While AMD will never admit it, I do believe they officially raised the MSRP of the 3900X and delayed the 3950X by two months to fully soak up those margins. If you've got it, flaunt it, right?!?

And honestly, it's a win-win. While I had to trim a few components back in the $1,750 build to hit the target price, there's simply no better pay off for content creation than more cores, so it was absolutely worth paying a bit more for the 3900X. In the meantime, Intel is circling the drain. The latest news today is that it's officially eliminated 10nm CPUs from its desktop timeline, and will continue producing 14nm desktop chips until 2022. Guess what... while that may be true, I can tell you what they won't be doing: selling 14nm desktop chips through 2022, because no one is going to buy them!