Author Topic: TBG's $1,750 Content Creation PC Build  (Read 10322 times)

Secret

• View Profile
Re: TBG's $1,750 Content Creation PC Build
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2019, 06:59:47 PM »

There are certain apps that are only accelerated on Nvidia cards due to the need for CUDA cores specifically. And generally speaking, Nvidia is superior to AMD for Photoshop, as Puget Systems has found. That combined with much lower power use makes it vastly superior for a pure content creation system.

Always learning something new around here, thanks for that bit.

Ben I think $350 may be tight for two 27" monitors unless you opt for 1080, which I agree with Ari that resolution is stretched a bit thin at that size.  I think two nice 24" 1080 monitors could easily be had under that budget.  But you could possibly find two cheaper 1440 27" monitors.  I bought two Acer R2xx monitors for cheap, they have really nice thin bezels and good color reproduction.  The bad thing is there's no height adjusting and they don't turn, but most don't need that.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 07:28:01 PM »

There are certain apps that are only accelerated on Nvidia cards due to the need for CUDA cores specifically. And generally speaking, Nvidia is superior to AMD for Photoshop, as Puget Systems has found. That combined with much lower power use makes it vastly superior for a pure content creation system.

Always learning something new around here, thanks for that bit.

Ben I think $350 may be tight for two 27" monitors unless you opt for 1080, which I agree with Ari that resolution is stretched a bit thin at that size.  I think two nice 24" 1080 monitors could easily be had under that budget.  But you could possibly find two cheaper 1440 27" monitors.  I bought two Acer R2xx monitors for cheap, they have really nice thin bezels and good color reproduction.  The bad thing is there's no height adjusting and they don't turn, but most don't need that.

Ben - I think Secret is right that $350 is a bit tight to get two big monitors, but you can easily get two high-quality 24" monitors. In fact, you don't even have to spend that much. The HP VH240a is a tremendous value at $110 for a 24" 1080 IPS screen with tilt and height adjustment. With that said, unless you're committed to having two monitors due to your unique workflow, I'd highly recommend you look at the ~$370 Samsung U32J590, which is a tremendous value for a 32" 4K VA-type monitor. That will give you a truly premium experience right in your target budget.

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 08:01:49 PM »
Great thoughts! I'm not totally committed to having two monitors. One nice monitor will definitely be good for me, especially a 32"! I'm really liking the link you posted, Ari! Secret, thank you too. This kind of experience is invaluable.

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 08:18:46 PM »
One question for you guys: Does a 4k monitor tax the system more (the gpu?), compared to two smaller 24" monitors?

Ben

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 08:36:46 PM »
One question for you guys: Does a 4k monitor tax the system more (the gpu?), compared to two smaller 24" monitors?

Ben

A 4K monitor only taxes a system more in gaming, and if you're thinking about the Content Creation system using dual screens, you probably aren't a big gamer. There is no impact on the system of rendering standard desktop applications at 4K. The only issue is that you do need the correct cable connection: DisplayPort!

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 08:16:19 PM »
Another question, Ari. Does clicking through the links on TBG give you guys a little cut? Cause I think you guys should get a little cut.  :)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 09:18:31 PM »
Another question, Ari. Does clicking through the links on TBG give you guys a little cut? Cause I think you guys should get a little cut.  :)

Yes, indeed, it does, and your support is much appreciated!

Ben

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 11:34:51 AM »
Ok, good. I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site, and how grateful I am for your help!

If I go with those dual 24" monitors you linked up, will I need any special cables or anything, or will they plug into the motherboard?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »
Ok, good. I can't tell you how happy I am to have found this site, and how grateful I am for your help!

If I go with those dual 24" monitors you linked up, will I need any special cables or anything, or will they plug into the motherboard?

Before you do anything, check out the latest Content Creation Build, which has been updated early for February with some new components!

As for the dual 24" monitors, they plug into the video card (not the motherboard). And because they are lower-cost models, they only have HDMI inputs, not DisplayPort. That's a bit of a mis-match, as the video card has three DP outputs and one HDMI, so you'll need this HDMI to DisplayPort adapter for one of the monitors. They come with the HDMI cables you'll need. Overall, I still think the 32" Samsung 4K monitor is the better overall solution, but if you feel you have two discrete workflows that require the dual viewports, then go for the two 1080p models.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
Crucial PCIe m.2 is at a good price currently.  Not as fast as the XPG but currently in stock and at the same price as the mx500 sata m.2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J2Q4SWZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 01:06:32 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2019, 01:07:30 PM »
Crucial PCIe m.2 is at a good price currently.  Not as fast as the XPG but currently in stock and at the same price as the mx500 sata m.2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J2Q4SWZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Wow, that dropped in price another $25 over the past few days (I check it regularly, but haven't been moved to recommend it until now). With the MX500 constantly selling out, this may be a perfect alternative. Thanks for the heads up, Secret!

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2019, 02:07:15 PM »
Yea I was on the fence about it and had it in my cart.  Was alerted today of the price drop and jumped on it.  The way computer part prices fluctuate so much really drives me nuts!  I never know if I should buy today or wait for a better deal tomorrow.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2019, 02:09:37 PM »
Yea I was on the fence about it and had it in my cart.  Was alerted today of the price drop and jumped on it.  The way computer part prices fluctuate so much really drives me nuts!  I never know if I should buy today or wait for a better deal tomorrow.

You got an excellent deal! I decided to add this to the $2,000 Premium Gaming PC Build for now. Will monitor the price - this could be a short-term promotion, but if it's not, it will be added to other builds for February.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2019, 11:06:16 AM »
I think I may run into an issue with the Noctua cooler and that view 32 case.  Iím still waiting on the MB but judging from where the standoffs are I donít think Iíll be able to close the side with it installed.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2019, 11:17:33 AM »
I think I may run into an issue with the Noctua cooler and that view 32 case.  Iím still waiting on the MB but judging from where the standoffs are I donít think Iíll be able to close the side with it installed.

The Thermaltake View 32 case has 160mm of clearance for a tower air cooler. The Noctua NH-U12S is 158mm tall and will fit fine. If you ordered the Noctua NH-U14S, then I agree it will not fit, as it's 165mm tall. This doesn't have anything to do with the standoffs, just the width of the case.

I don't recall which cooler your ordered, but this is one reason that mixing and matching components from different builds doesn't always work!