Author Topic: PC Modding and The High-End Build  (Read 3098 times)

QaysPhoenix

• View Profile
PC Modding and The High-End Build
« on: June 13, 2016, 10:25:51 AM »
Hi All,

I hope all is well. So I have been planning on building a PC for many moons now and have finally decided to bite the bullet and go for it! Unfortunately, we're in the middle of a little house renovation so right now is neither the best nor most practical time to actually start building a PC so I will have to wait a little longer. I will be using the PC for gaming (aiming for 1440p/144Hz rather than 4Kp60fps), streaming and media content creation (e.g. Adobe CC Suite, 3D animation applications, etc.).

As you can tell from the title, I am into a bit of customization, and PC Modding is right up my alley! The first thing I wanted to find out was your collective thoughts on the case (pun not intended) of PC Modding? I'm not talking just a re-spray and some LED lighting.

Let me fill you guys in on what I'm planning with a bit of context:

My house is a bit constrained for space so I don't have the luxury of having a built-in studio or gallery in the basement...we don't even have a basement! :-\  Instead, the box room (approx 7' x 6') shall become my best friend where I will be spending plenty of time with my darling PC.

So now that you know the background, it's time to tell you my plan...Are you ready???

A PC INTEGRATED DESK!!! (Oooohh's and aahhhh's fill the quiet of the room)

YES, PEOPLE, I HAVE LOST MY MARBLES SWIMMING IN THE DEPTHS OF MY THOUGHTS! (I think marbles sink in water so no chance of retrieving them from that ocean)

I was looking up various PC Mods with my good friend Google and came across examples of PC Desks from the likes of IMFACEROLL and others. Now as I said earlier, I’m a bit constrained for space in my house. So the idea was to house the components in a slim desk, which would be attached to the wall via hinges and a folding bracket. That way, when the PC is not in use, it can be folded (almost) flat to the wall to allow more space in the room.

Of course, this project is going to come along with it’s own unique set of challenges. Apart from hard work and effort, the only challenge I can really think of from a technical point-of-view is adequately cooling the rig.

I’d much appreciate it if the more knowledgeable of you could let me know what I’m really getting myself into. Also, would it be worth liquid cooling the rig rather than air-cooling it, especially since I will be looking to overclock the components as I get more and more comfortable with the system and eventually (if/when the need arises) introducing a second GPU for SLI.

As for the ($1500) build itself, I have a few questions:

- Is it worth investing in the Gaming-5 Mobo rather than the Gaming-3? Does the 5 give any appreciable benefits over the 3?

- Will I need to upgrade the PSU if I’m overclocking? (I won’t be setting up SLI anytime soon so ignore that in regards to PSU, I’d assume an 850W PSU for that at least)

- I will also be putting in 16GB of RAM rather than 8GB due to some of Adobe applications’ RAM-Intensive nature. Will this require a more powerful PSU? And am I better off getting 4x4GB or 2x8GB?

- If you recommend liquid cooling the rig, is there any specific product you’d recommend (UK market) or maybe even go for a DIY kit?

So… now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Many Thanks!

Qas

P.S This is my first ever ever ever build…so it should be fun ;D But I’m quite handy at DIY so I’m not (too) daunted by the task ahead of me. Nonetheless, wish me luck!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 10:59:59 AM by QaysPhoenix »

Jury-Pool-Reject

• Reading/Computers & PC Gaming/Tennis/NFL
    • View Profile
Re: PC Modding and The High-End Build
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 11:17:21 AM »
I'm sure Ari will be replying soon, but I'll make a few short comments...

Space sounds critical to you, so I would go Mini-ITX form factor. Do not equate small size case and MB with lack of PC performance.

I'm about to go this size (from what I currently have in my Sig below) and I'm looking forward to it. Read everything on this site.... it will all help you immensely.

Good luck!

(What I'm prob getting within a month or so...)
*Either Fractal Core 500, Phanteks Evolv, or the NCase M1 Mini-ITX case.
*Asus Z170I Pro Gaming MB
*i7-6700k cpu
*Corsair LPX DDR400 Mem
*current 980Ti card or the 1080
*current SSD
*EVGA GS650 PS or another possibly
This is basically/approximately one of the rigs that Ari recommends...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:39:16 PM by Jury-Pool-Reject »
Mini-ITX-Ncase M1 | Asus Z170i | i7-6700k  | Noctua C14 | 1080-FE | 1TB SSD | 16GB Corsair -3200 | Corsair SF600 | Monoprice 2.0 speakers | uDAC5 | Sennheiser PC360 | 27" Acer XB271HU | Seagate 2TB  
"The truth is rarely pure and never simple."   -Oscar Wilde

QaysPhoenix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I've got more of a problem with the desk taking up space rather than the PC itself, hence the reason for considering the PC/Desk Mod I described.

I hadn't actually considered a Mini-ITX form factor PC. It's a good idea that I will look into

Cheers,

Qas

Edit: If I just fix a foldable desk/table to the wall to allow more walking space in the room, the problem is that I don't want someone to accidentally kick the PC sitting on the floor. If I put the PC out of the way on the floor, it'll end up next to the radiator...no good
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 11:42:35 AM by QaysPhoenix »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »
Hi Brian,

Thanks for your reply. I've got more of a problem with the desk taking up space rather than the PC itself, hence the reason for considering the PC/Desk Mod I described.

I hadn't actually considered a Mini-ITX form factor PC. It's a good idea that I will look into

Cheers,

Qas

I typed up a whole reply, but then Jury-Pool-Reject beat me to it, and you responded with some more input that has me rethinking my advice.

Here's what I was thinking originally:

The one issue I would note with your plan is a desk that folds up will require that you constantly remove your monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and doing so without getting all your cables tangled up will be very difficult. And no, I do NOT recommend wireless keyboards or mice for gaming or Adobe use, and of course there are no wireless monitors. So I might suggest you leave the folding desk to a future iteration of the project, although it sounds like that's what you're most excited about!

If you wanted to be really crafty, you'd just engineer a hanging mount under a standard desk and insert the case into it, thus getting your "PC Desk" while not needing to start from scratch. I can recommend a case like the SilverStone GD09 in that scenario. You could still do the fold-up design with this arrangement, although I still have no idea how you'll handle the monitor. Honestly speaking, any of the ITX cases that Jury-Pool-Reject listed would also be very good, and my favorite for this application would be the Fractal Design Core 500, which you could just bolt to the underside of one side of the desk, leaving plenty of room for your knees on the other side.

As for the other components, you can definitely go with the Gaming 3, as the Gaming 5 just adds some additional features like more USB ports, one-touch OC, and an onboard error diagnostic LED. In terms of RAM, 16GB is a good choice for your purposes, and as for power, 650W is more than enough. You do not need liquid cooling, although a tower style cooler will be hard to fit into a standard desk drawer height design. I think you'll need to put some thought into the actual dimensions of what you're trying to build before you settle on that. The GD09 I linked to above is really best with smaller, low-profile coolers, and the Corsair Hydro H60 just barely fits, as one of TBG's readers found, which you can read about in the TBG Gallery.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:18:44 PM by Ari Altman »