Author Topic: Content Creation Build  (Read 3029 times)

FarRock

• View Profile
Re: Content Creation Build
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 05:30:39 PM »
Hey, sorry to chime in here. Ari pointed me to this thread.

So I'm doing a very similar build only Intel focused, not AMD. Quick Q (as someone who has never built a PC before:

The Noctua A14 / A12, do they plug into anything (sorry never installed a fan before). And if yes, do they add to the noise or reduce it? How do you like them?

Thanks!

Mark

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 05:48:11 PM »

So I'm doing a very similar build only Intel focused, not AMD. Quick Q (as someone who has never built a PC before:

The Noctua A14 / A12, do they plug into anything (sorry never installed a fan before). And if yes, do they add to the noise or reduce it? How do you like them?

Thanks!

Mark

Mark - Secret is the most active member of this forum, so I trust he'll get back to you shortly...

...but if he doesn't, I think I'll be able to answer your questions almost as well!

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 06:07:29 PM »

Thanks!

Mark

Hey Mark, thanks for asking.  The A14 and A12 are standard 4 pin fan connections that will plug into any motherboard fan header and allow variable speed control.  They both came with an extension cable, a Y-cable, and a cable that limits voltage for lower fan speed. 

I've run them both at 100% to check sound.  The A12 is the most amazing fan I've ever used.  It moves a ton of air and is almost silent even at 100%.  The A14 move quite a bit more air, are top notch quality, and almost silent up until 900rpm.  After that they have a pretty consistent hum up until 100% speed (1500rpm).  If you have used a noctua cpu cooler with the f12 fan, know that they are a bit louder than it compared at 100%.  I have mine set to regulate the speed based on the GPU temp, so if it's getting hot enough to get them above 900rpm they are droned out by the incredibly noisy GPU fans.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 06:56:15 PM by Secret »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 06:42:06 PM »
The A12 is a revolutionary product. Noctua took years to develop it, and it's basically the most advanced fan in the world, custom designed from the ground up to be as silent as is physically possible. If Mark decides the Phanteks case fans aren't quiet enough, the NF-A12 is what he should upgrade to.

On a side note, Noctua is sending TBG a sample of the A12 for use in its 2019 PC assembly guide. Stay tuned for more on that in the coming weeks!

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2019, 02:27:29 PM »
Yea that A12 is very impressive; they would be ideal for a htpc build.  I'd like to see a revamp of the A14 to be a more similar design, though I think 140mm fans have a limited range of use and therefore wouldn't necessitate such a complex fan profile.  Having worked in place that engineered turbine and impeller blades for torque convertors I can appreciate the work that went into it. 

I must say though that gigabytes SIV5 is really a mess even for fan control.  It just tends to do whatever it wants even with custom profiles, and sometimes won't even spin the fans at their full speed when set to 100%.  I switched to using the bios fan control but that's also a bit wonky.  The only thing that makes the app center worth downloading at all is the rgb fusion app, and if I had another option I'd uninstall that as well.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2019, 08:39:38 PM »
Yea that A12 is very impressive; they would be ideal for a htpc build.  I'd like to see a revamp of the A14 to be a more similar design, though I think 140mm fans have a limited range of use and therefore wouldn't necessitate such a complex fan profile.  Having worked in place that engineered turbine and impeller blades for torque convertors I can appreciate the work that went into it. 

I must say though that gigabytes SIV5 is really a mess even for fan control.  It just tends to do whatever it wants even with custom profiles, and sometimes won't even spin the fans at their full speed when set to 100%.  I switched to using the bios fan control but that's also a bit wonky.  The only thing that makes the app center worth downloading at all is the rgb fusion app, and if I had another option I'd uninstall that as well.

Gigabyte's SIV is definitely a bit rough around the edges, but I've had trouble with every motherboard manufacturer's software suites. In previous generations, the Asus AI Suite was incredibly unstable, causing frequent system crashes.

What I've heard from many hardware manufacturers is that software "is really hard" - in other words, these hardware guys just don't have a deep bench of talent on the software side, because it's a totally different area of expertise. Companies like HyperX and Cooler Master have long avoided releasing any software, despite their dominance in their respective hardware markets. A few of the hardware companies that ventured into software early, like Logitech and Corsair, have had to revamp their software suites over and over again.

On the flipside, software guys don't do hardware very well. I'm constantly amused at Google's repeating failures in the hardware market - even with its nearly unlimited budget, it just doesn't have the expertise to do hardware right. Anything branded by Google has been behind the competition from the start, in my opinion.

Secret

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2019, 08:57:37 AM »
In case anyone else built this I was running the F2 bios on that board from when it was bought and recently did the upgrade chain to the f50 bios.  The 2700x now runs much faster and more efficiently.  Before if I enabled PBO in the bios it would just sit at 4ghz on all cores all the time around 1.35-1.4v. Now it actually stays around .8v and 2ghz when not loaded and when task saturated boosts up to 1.5v and hits almost 4.4Ghz.  Tested cinebench and cpuz with higher scores by around 100pts.  Feels a lot faster as well, especially in photoshop.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2019, 01:25:59 PM »
In case anyone else built this I was running the F2 bios on that board from when it was bought and recently did the upgrade chain to the f50 bios.  The 2700x now runs much faster and more efficiently.  Before if I enabled PBO in the bios it would just sit at 4ghz on all cores all the time around 1.35-1.4v. Now it actually stays around .8v and 2ghz when not loaded and when task saturated boosts up to 1.5v and hits almost 4.4Ghz.  Tested cinebench and cpuz with higher scores by around 100pts.  Feels a lot faster as well, especially in photoshop.

Great feedback, Secret! That's a huge performance boost and energy efficiency upgrade you got there!