Author Topic: TBG's $1,300 Stock Trading PC Build  (Read 2299 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TBG's $1,300 Stock Trading PC Build
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 01:56:09 PM »
Hi Ari
I am in the process of building the $1300 computer. The question I have is if I don't want to use just one monitor how many 24" monitors will this system support? I am a complete computer dummy so sorry if this is a stupid question.

Welcome to the Forum, ThatGuy, and thanks for the question.

In fact, this system is designed around users like you - people who want to have 2 or 3 monitors on their desks to use multiple applications at once. This build can support three monitors simultaneously. Note that the current GTX 1060 selection (the Asus 1060 Phoenix) has two DisplayPort outputs and two HDMI 2.0 outputs, as well as a DVI output. You can't use them all at once, and generally speaking, you'll want to use DisplayPort if your monitor has it. If you're using an HDTV or 4K TV, you'll want to use the HDMI 2.0 outputs. Any of the five outputs can handle a 24" monitor, however, so just take your pick based on what your monitors use.

By the way, as long as you're here, sign up for the Holiday Prize Drawing, which ends in just a few days!

ThatGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2017, 11:40:36 AM »
Hi Ari
Before I read your reply I was at Fry's Electric store and they had this LG Electronics 42.5" Screen LED-lit (43UD79-B) UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) IPS monitor on sale for $600 so I bought it. Will this stand alone monitor work with this computer setup?
Thanks
Guy

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 01:34:49 PM »
Hi Ari
Before I read your reply I was at Fry's Electric store and they had this LG Electronics 42.5" Screen LED-lit (43UD79-B) UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) IPS monitor on sale for $600 so I bought it. Will this stand alone monitor work with this computer setup?
Thanks
Guy

The only think you need to support the LG 43UD79-B 4K Monitor is an HDMI 2.0 output (not a standard HDMI 1.4 output), and luckily any GTX 1060 will have at least one of these outputs. The LG 43UD79 is sort of a hybrid monitor/TV, and was likely developed first as a TV, with DisplayPort and USB ports added later on to market it as a monitor, where margins are higher. It has an older version of DisplayPort that may or may not support 4K at 60Hz.

Shinrouen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 12:22:51 PM »
Hi Ari,

Thanks for all of your help thus far. I've decided to forego the Samsung pre-built and just go with the TBG Trading PC Build instead. While the Samsung is an extremely attractive unit-ultimately I would much rather decide on the components and the thought of a newer CPU as opposed to one from 2.5 years ago alleviates the concern of future-proofing. I also scored a pretty good price on a Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512GB and that alone will be invaluable as the speeds are significantly faster than the NVME within the pre-built.

I'm considering upgrading the stock Wraith CPU cooler to a Noctua NH-U12S. It seems overkill for the unit but just for the sake of potential better cooling I should be able to expect lower fan noise. I figure that if I can get this unit to whisper silent then all the more better.

I also did not jump quick enough on the MSI 1050 you posted through Amazon. Is there a comparable you would recommend? Thank you.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 01:05:02 PM »
Hi Ari,

Thanks for all of your help thus far. I've decided to forego the Samsung pre-built and just go with the TBG Trading PC Build instead. While the Samsung is an extremely attractive unit-ultimately I would much rather decide on the components and the thought of a newer CPU as opposed to one from 2.5 years ago alleviates the concern of future-proofing. I also scored a pretty good price on a Samsung 960 Pro M.2 512GB and that alone will be invaluable as the speeds are significantly faster than the NVME within the pre-built.

I'm considering upgrading the stock Wraith CPU cooler to a Noctua NH-U12S. It seems overkill for the unit but just for the sake of potential better cooling I should be able to expect lower fan noise. I figure that if I can get this unit to whisper silent then all the more better.

I also did not jump quick enough on the MSI 1050 you posted through Amazon. Is there a comparable you would recommend? Thank you.

Overall, this is the right decision. That Samsung desktop was very interesting, and it actually offered a PCIe-based SSD, which would clearly be a Samsung model. In fact, my bet is that Samsung marketed this desktop as a showcase for its new PCIe line that was released around the same time. But I doubt this desktop had a 950 Pro - rather, it likely used the PM951 that was never released at retail. The 960 Pro 512GB you just bought is far better.

Now, as for a cooler, in case you haven't seen it, TBG recently reviewed all the best Ryzen-compatible coolers out there, including the Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4. While the Noctua is indeed excellent, I'd suggest you take a look at the Scythe Mugen 5, which is just as good, looks better, and costs 20% less. And no, it's not overkill for a Ryzen 7 1700 processor.

As of this moment, you can order the best 1050 model, the Gigabyte GTX 1050 2GB Windforce through Amazon (although it's sold via a third party). All video cards are selling out daily as people continue snapping them up thinking they can make money mining cryptocurrency, which at this point they really can't. So please realize that you're paying over retail for this right now, but that's the reality of today's market, unfortunately.

Shinrouen

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 03:40:47 PM »
Ari,

What are your thoughts on the new Ryzen Raven Ridge CPUs and how they integrate into your guides?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2018, 03:54:48 PM »
Ari,

What are your thoughts on the new Ryzen Raven Ridge CPUs and how they integrate into your guides?

Very, very good question. I considered adding them to the guides today, as soon as they were launched, but the motherboard landscape is still hard to navigate, so I have a message into my contacts at AMD to get some clarity on that. When I spoke with AMD at CES in January, they said there would be a "Ready for Ryzen 2000-Series" label that motherboard manufacturers could use, but I haven't seen any evidence of that on launch day.

And to answer your question more directly, the 2200G will find its way into the $500 Home Office build and the $650 Home Theater PC, while the 2400G will be integrated into the $750 Gaming PC and potentially the $1,100 High-End Home Theater PC. One of the concerns I have is that while Vega has support for HDCP 2.2, which would in theory allow 4K streaming, you need HDMI 2.0 to get 4K/60Hz output, and as far as I know, existing AM4 motherboards don't offer that. So this is another thing I've asked for clarity on from AMD.

Shinrouen

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2018, 05:59:17 PM »
Would you say that the introduction of these chips from AMD is more of a means for them to compete with Intel within the integrated graphics space more so than to provide a full solution to replace the usage of GPUs? I originally saw this as being more impactful for HTPCs, smaller media playback consoles, and lower end gaming computers which seems to correlate to your projected guides.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2018, 07:31:42 PM »
Would you say that the introduction of these chips from AMD is more of a means for them to compete with Intel within the integrated graphics space more so than to provide a full solution to replace the usage of GPUs? I originally saw this as being more impactful for HTPCs, smaller media playback consoles, and lower end gaming computers which seems to correlate to your projected guides.

Absolutely. While it's a little late to the game, the Ryzen/Vega combo doesn't just compete with Intel, it leapfrogs Intel. As soon as motherboards are available, it will no longer make sense to buy any Intel CPU under $130, and it also makes sense for certain ultra-compact PCs (where graphics power is important).