Author Topic: ROG Maximus IX Code & Thermalright Macho Revision-B  (Read 224 times)

Langrenus

ROG Maximus IX Code & Thermalright Macho Revision-B
« on: July 24, 2017, 09:27:23 PM »
I will soon be purchasing the ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code motherboard, with which I plan to install an Intel Core i7-7700K processor, and a Thermalright Macho Revision-B CPU Cooler with attached TY-147 Fan. Additionally, I plan to install Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz White (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15W) memory modules. My concern is whether there will be sufficient clearance between the CPU cooler and the first memory module. An additional concern is whether the CPU cooler will sufficiently clear the PCIe (particularly slot 1) slots to prevent their obstruction.
Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter.
NOTE: This question was intended to be asked of ASUS, but because I had not made a purchase with them and was unable to provide a product serial number, I was denied access to their tech support department.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ROG Maximus IX Code & Thermalright Macho Revision-B
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »

As you can see above, the Macho Rev. B cleared the four RAM slots on the Gigabyte motherboard I tested it on, but each manufacturer can use slightly different socket placement, so I can't guarantee it will completely clear the first slot on the Asus ROG Maximus IX Code. As for the first slot, it is very close, but again, on my test board it cleared the slot. Keep in mind that all modern boards have a PCIe x1 slot in the first position, rather than the critical PCIe x16 slot, for this very reason. Too many modern coolers interfere with the first slot.

By the way, is there any particular reason you're going for the Code? It's very expensive for a Z270 board. Have you considered the Asus Z270E? It has many of the same features other than the aesthetic "armor" and LN2 cooling provisions for almost $100 less.