Author Topic: What's a NUC?  (Read 7666 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
What's a NUC?
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
This thread is for all you PC builders out there looking to go really, really small with your next build.

You can see the TBG NUC Build Guide here. Feel free to discuss below.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 02:21:29 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What's a NUC?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:39:35 AM »
One of our readers passed along this helpful catalog link from Intel, showing the huge range of cases available for a NUC:

"Intel has an ecosystem catalog for their NUC series. It has a lot of different cases. There is one that I like a lot, however it seems like it's only in Japan.  The Abee NE03.

Here's the catalog if you've never seen it:
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/technical-specifications/nuc-ecosystem-enabling-technical-spec.pdf

And here is a good picture of the Abee. The NE04 is neat too.  I don't know where to find them in the US though and they are pricy.
http://www.abee.co.jp/Product/nuc/NE03/index.html"
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:14:55 AM by Ari Altman »

crh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 03:47:46 PM »
I'm considering your suggested NUC build.   I'd use it to transcode DVDs and BluRays, and to serve up media using Plex.  My media would be stored on a NAS.  Do you think the NUC 5i5RYK is up to the task?  My current system is a Pentium E5200 @ 2.5GHz, and it serves up the media fine, but is a dog with the transcoding.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »
I'm considering your suggested NUC build.   I'd use it to transcode DVDs and BluRays, and to serve up media using Plex.  My media would be stored on a NAS.  Do you think the NUC 5i5RYK is up to the task?  My current system is a Pentium E5200 @ 2.5GHz, and it serves up the media fine, but is a dog with the transcoding.

Welcome to the TBG Forum, crh!

The Core i5-5250U dual-core processor in the new 2015 Broadwell-based NUC is far faster than your E5200, probably on average twice as fast (more in multi-threaded applications, less in single-threaded tasks). Much more important for transcoding, however, is QuickSync technology, built into the Core i5. You can read more about it on the Intel website. QuickSync utilizes the built-in graphics chip on the Intel CPU to accelerate transcoding by up to 16x versus CPU-only transcoding.

I'd recommend you look into the capabilities of your transcoder to see if it can utilize QuickSync. If not, you may want to upgrade your software along with your hardware. The Intel link above lists QuickSync-enabled applications - just scroll down the page.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 04:34:56 PM by Ari Altman »

DCode

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »
I really like the form factor of the NUC and I'm looking to greatly reduce the amount of real estate my computers use.

I'm not sure it will be viable desktop replacement for me (I'm a developer) yet but how about the new i7 core NUC? Have you tried one?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 10:14:44 PM »
I really like the form factor of the NUC and I'm looking to greatly reduce the amount of real estate my computers use.

I'm not sure it will be viable desktop replacement for me (I'm a developer) yet but how about the new i7 core NUC? Have you tried one?

Hey DCode and welcome to the TBG Forum!

I've been keeping an eye on availability of the Core i7 NUC, and it appears to finally be filtering into the market after being announced several months ago.

ArsTechnica did a nice write-up on it a while back - you can check it out here.

My personal take on this model is that it's treading a little too close to midrange desktop PC territory in terms of price, but is still solidly in the laptop-class in terms of performance. If you really like the form factor, consider going for the Core i5-equipped NUC and equipping it with 8GB of DDR3-1866 RAM and a fast Samsung SM951 256GB solid-state drive to give it a nice speed boost. It would end up at around the same cost as a Core i7 NUC but will feel faster overall, while also being slimmer.

Another option is building your own mini-ITX PC, which will be quite a bit larger, but will also give you more performance options for the same price or less. You can read more about that here.

Hope that helps!