Author Topic: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240  (Read 2108 times)

Reyort

• View Profile
Arctic Liquid Freezer 240
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:14:40 PM »
What's your take on it?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Arctic Liquid Freezer 240
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 10:39:40 PM »
Actually, the Liquid Freezer 240 is a cooler I'd really like to test, but Arctic wasn't too happy with my last cooler shootout, in which the Arctic i32 they provided didn't come out a winner, so I'm not sure they'll provide me another sample. That's how this review world works, by the way....

That being said, the Freezer 240 looks like a fantastic cooler at a fantastic price based on reviews I've read, and honestly, Arctic doesn't make bad coolers. Everything they release is well-tested and clearly hits the right pricepoint. The one issue with the Freezer 240 is that it's extraordinarily thick, not only due to the quad fans, but also the radiator itself. It won't fit in the vast majority of mid-sized cases, and may not even fit in some cases with a single set of fans. If you have a huge case, it's a stellar choice for the price, otherwise, you really have to measure carefully.

Reyort

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:56:38 AM »
From your guides, which cases could handle this cooler?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 08:11:44 AM »
If you wanted to mount the cooler on top using all four fans, you'd have to go with nothing less than the massive Corsair Obsidian 750D. The Freezer 240 requires 88mm of headroom to fit the 38mm radiator and four 25mm-thick fans. Even the relatively large Thermaltake F31 and View 31 listed in the guides don't have that kind of space (they have just over 60mm, so enough for the radiator and a single set of fans), and the SilverStone and mid-range Phanteks cases don't even come close. They couldn't handle the cooler with any fans.

Now, a caveat: you can fit the cooler in the front of a number of these cases, but I consider that a compromised solution, and don't think it's worth buying a huge cooler if you have to fit it that way.

Reyort

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 08:31:52 AM »
Seems like a serious design flaw if it is strictly limited to a few cases. I can only imagine how few cases the 360 would fit in.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 08:53:42 AM »
Rather than a design flaw, I'd call it a design choice. The thicker radiator and quad fans provide tremendous cooling potential at a fantastic pricepoint versus 280mm coolers, for example, which would perform about the same but cost $50 more. But I do think that Arctic is fighting an uphill battle here in terms of the trends in case design, which just aren't supporting ultra-thick coolers like this one, at least in mid-priced cases that people looking for a budget liquid cooler are using. Savvy builders of ultra-high-end machines should probably consider the Freezer 240 as an alternative to 280mm coolers.