Author Topic: Solid State Drive for $1500 Ultra-Compact Mini ITX?  (Read 2343 times)

bigdogbluesky

Solid State Drive for $1500 Ultra-Compact Mini ITX?
« on: July 11, 2017, 11:37:21 PM »
I am about to purchase all of the components for the $1500 ultra-compact mini ITX  build, but I think I would rather have 500 to 1000 gigabytes of solid state drive than the 2 terabytes of hybrid drive recommended. Would SSD boost my gaming performance to any noticeable degree on large cpu intensive games like Civilization and Total War? Could you please give me a recommendation for the above? Thank you!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Solid State Drive for $1500 Ultra-Compact Mini ITX?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 07:19:04 AM »
I am about to purchase all of the components for the $1500 ultra-compact mini ITX  build, but I think I would rather have 500 to 1000 gigabytes of solid state drive than the 2 terabytes of hybrid drive recommended. Would SSD boost my gaming performance to any noticeable degree on large cpu intensive games like Civilization and Total War? Could you please give me a recommendation for the above? Thank you!

Hey there bigdogbluesky!

I totally understand the desire for an SSD, but two things you should know:

(1) Because it's impossible to buy a GTX 1070 video card today, the more expensive GTX 1080 has been substituted into this build, necessitating a cheaper storage solution to keep the build within range of the $1,500 budget.

(2) An SSD will not improve gaming performance at all - what it will do is improve application startup speed. That being said, the hybrid hard drives will do the same thing for a handful of your most-used applications. I've tested the Seagate Firecuda and it's actually very effective, but can only hold a few applications in memory at once.

With these two factors in mind, if you'd like to upgrade to an SSD, I'd recommend the Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 drive. It costs twice as much as the Firecuda for 1/4 the storage, but it will speed up all your application launching, not just most-used apps.

bigdogbluesky

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 01:13:09 PM »
Ari,

Thank you for your response. I will go with the hybrid if I go with this build.

I have just a few more questions if you don't mind.

I am not clear on the major difference between the $1500 ultra-compact build and the $2000 ultimate gaming build. I know that the $2000 build has a slightly bigger case and a solid state drive. I see that the $2000 build also has a more expensive graphics card, but isn't it almost identical to the graphics card in the $1500 build: what is the difference? Finally, is one build more quiet than the other?

Thank you!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 01:20:16 PM »
Ari,

Thank you for your response. I will go with the hybrid if I go with this build.

I have just a few more questions if you don't mind.

I am not clear on the major difference between the $1500 ultra-compact build and the $2000 ultimate gaming build. I know that the $2000 build has a slightly bigger case and a solid state drive. I see that the $2000 build also has a more expensive graphics card, but isn't it almost identical to the graphics card in the $1500 build: what is the difference? Finally, is one build more quiet than the other?

Thank you!

You pretty much summed up the differences there - the GTX 1080 Ti is significantly faster than the GTX 1080 (30%), and it's the biggest difference other than the size of the systems. The $2,000 build will actually be quieter due to its use of a tower-style CPU cooler and a 140mm case fan. You can't fit this type of cooler or fan in the $1,500 build.

bigdogbluesky

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »
Ari,

I am now assembling the $2000 build with the Core 500 case. I have the Crucial MX300 1050GB SATA M.2 2280ss SSD, but I can't figure out where it goes. It looks to me like it doesn't fit in the M.2_2 slot on the underside of the motherboard. I also see in the motherboard manual where an M.2 might go under that big shield on the motherboard, but if so, it looks like I would have had to install the SSD there before I applied the thermal paste and screwed the cpu cooler fan into place. In other words, I am totally lost at the moment. I have been looking for answers on tutorials on the Internet but have found nothing to help me with this particular question. Thanks for your help!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 02:32:47 PM »
Ari,

I am now assembling the $2000 build with the Core 500 case. I have the Crucial MX300 1050GB SATA M.2 2280ss SSD, but I can't figure out where it goes. It looks to me like it doesn't fit in the M.2_2 slot on the underside of the motherboard. I also see in the motherboard manual where an M.2 might go under that big shield on the motherboard, but if so, it looks like I would have had to install the SSD there before I applied the thermal paste and screwed the cpu cooler fan into place. In other words, I am totally lost at the moment. I have been looking for answers on tutorials on the Internet but have found nothing to help me with this particular question. Thanks for your help!

Hi there, bigdogbluesky,

If you're using the Asus Z270I motherboard that's currently featured in the guide, you are correct, the Crucial MX300 1TB M.2 drive won't fit in the rear-mounted M.2 slot. The technical reason is not that it's too large, but that the M.2 slot supports only PCIe devices, and the MX300 is a SATA device. Only the front-mounted slot supports either PCIe or SATA devices, so yes, you'll need to use that slot. For more on the use of these slots, see the Z270I manual, which you can download from this link.

The M.2 slot has a pre-installed heatsink over it. You'll need to remove remove the two screws that secure it to the motherboard to install the SSD.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to access the top screw with your CPU cooler in place. You'll need to see if you can get a screwdriver in there.