Author Topic: New com build using Tech Guru July 2017 components - No monitor signal  (Read 705 times)

mercury54

• View Profile
I just finished the build of my new computer.  It turns on and all the fans seem to run just fine.  I have the M.2 SS drive, so I don't know it it's "running" or not, it's so quiet.  I want to set up Windows 10, but can't get the monitors to be acknowledged by the motherboard, which is the B250M Bazooka.  I didn't plug the VGA power plug in when setting up the power supply, simply because I didn't see an obvious place for it to fit on the motherboard.    The monitors I'm attaching to the rear connection of the computer do run when attached to another computer I have.  Can anyone help me with this issue?  I'm stuck.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Do you have a video card installed? The B250M Bazooka has video outputs, but if you have a video card, you need to use the video card's outputs.

By the way, a lack of video doesn't necessarily mean you have a video problem. The system could btw failing to boot amd thus never gets to the output stage.

If you list all your components, we can troubleshoot further.

mercury54

• View Profile
No video card installed.  I wanted to use the onboard video of the motherboard and see how that worked.

I have:

Pentium G4600 CPU
MSI B250M Bazooka mobo
Crucial 2x 4GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Microsoft Windows 10
WD Blue M.2 250 GB (this SSD is awesome!)
Silverstone PS 12 Tower
EVGA 450 BT
LG 24x DV Burner GH24NSC0B

At first the Debugger was showing a DIMM problem, but I reseated them both and that seems to have stopped.

Now when I turn on the computer, the fans run, the DVD burner operates, and it sounds as if the DVD burner is trying to load Windows as the OS, but since I can't see anything, I'm not sure...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:25:31 PM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
No video card installed.  I wanted to use the onboard video of the motherboard and see how that worked.

I have:

Pentium G4600 CPU
MSI B250M Bazooka mobo
Crucial 2x 4GB Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400
Microsoft Windows 10
WD Blue M.2 250 GB (this SSD is awesome!)
Silverstone PS 12 Tower
EVGA 450 BT
LG 24x DV Burner GH24NSC0B

At first the Debugger was showing a DIMM problem, but I reseated them both and that seems to have stopped.

Now when I turn on the computer, the fans run, the DVD burner operates, and it sounds as if the DVD burner is trying to load Windows as the OS, but since I can't see anything, I'm not sure...

OK, a memory problem would have been my first guess. When you refer to the "Debugger," are you talking about lights on the motherboard?

When you have a failure of video output, there are only four components that could possibly be involved: the CPU, the motherboard, the video ports (which in this case are on the motherboard), and the memory. While you are using the power supply, the fact that you have fans spinning suggests that this is not a power supply failure. The SSD, DVD burner, and case don't affect boot up.

At this point, I'd recommend pulling both sticks of RAM out and inserting just one of them into the second RAM slot on the motherboard. Then try to boot up.

By the way, what type of cable are you using with your monitors?

mercury54

• View Profile
I'm using the original cables that came with them.  VGA.  I have them connected to an adapter that fits into the video input on back of the computer.

I started my troubleshooting with the memory, taking both out and reseating only 1 in the #2 slot.  That didn't fix the problem.  I still had the debugger lights on the motherboard at that point, so maybe it'll help to try it again.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
I'm using the original cables that came with them.  VGA.  I have them connected to an adapter that fits into the video input on back of the computer.

I started my troubleshooting with the memory, taking both out and reseating only 1 in the #2 slot.  That didn't fix the problem.  I still had the debugger lights on the motherboard at that point, so maybe it'll help to try it again.

OK, that's what I was afraid of. Do your monitors have no other inputs besides VGA? VGA is obsolete at this point, with no current video cards supporting it, and motherboards without VGA outputs are unlikely to support it going forward. Indeed, the MSI B250M Bazooka doesn't support VGA the way you're trying to use it, because the DVI-D port outputs only a digital signal, which you can't use a passive adapter for. You'd need an active adapter, like this one. But I'll be honest... if you're using flat panel monitors that have VGA only, it's probably worth moving on. Displaying an analog signal on a digital device like and LCD guarantees a sub-par experience. If by chance these are legacy tube-based monitors, well, then I guess it might be worth trying the adapters, but I can't guarantee they'll work, as I have no experience testing them.

mercury54

• View Profile
Okay.  Monitor one is from 2008 when we built our first computer and it works like a champ.  The second monitor is more recent, but even that is probably five years old at this point.  I'll go out on Amazon and see if they have some decent monitors to go along with this system.  Our newest one is 22" diagonal.  The older one is probably a 13-15 diagonal.

Do you have a recommendation for good, cheap monitors for this computer system?  We're currently set up to view two monitors from one computer.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Okay.  Monitor one is from 2008 when we built our first computer and it works like a champ.  The second monitor is more recent, but even that is probably five years old at this point.  I'll go out on Amazon and see if they have some decent monitors to go along with this system.  Our newest one is 22" diagonal.  The older one is probably a 13-15 diagonal.

Do you have a recommendation for good, cheap monitors for this computer system?  We're currently set up to view two monitors from one computer.

Again, make sure there are no digital connections on your monitors before replacing them - the newer one might have a DVI connector. The 2008 model is unlikely to.

If you decide to replace them, you should definitely get an IPS-based LCD, rather than a TN-based one. This is often included in the model description.

A good low-priced IPS-based model is the Asus VS229H. It has a DVI input and an HDMI input, both of which can be used with the motherboard you have. The VGA connector it has of course cannot be.

Note that as with most monitors, an HDMI cable is not included, only VGA and DVI, so if you buy two to use with your motherboard, you can use one DVI cable to connect one monitor, and then will need to buy a separate HDMI cable for the second monitor.

mercury54

• View Profile
Thank you for your help!  I borrowed my next door neighbor's monitor with a DVI cord and the computer booted right up and installed Windows 10, and I could SEE it!

Problem solved. 

Thanks for  your time.

mercury54

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Thank you for your help!  I borrowed my next door neighbor's monitor with a DVI cord and the computer booted right up and installed Windows 10, and I could SEE it!

Problem solved. 

Thanks for  your time.

mercury54

So glad we figured it out!

If you'd like to try a cheap fix for your newer flat panel, feel free to buy an active DVI adapter. I can't guarantee it will work, but at least you won't throw away a lot of money testing it. But you'll probably still want to get at least one new 22" model like the Asus I linked to earlier to go along with your other 22" monitor (replacing the small monitor from 2008).

mercury54

• View Profile
The irony of this is that the older monitor was a very good Samsung that accepted the DVI cord and is working just fine.  The newer 22" monitor was VGA only and cannot be used for this new computer.  When you get a deal that's too good to be true....

Again, thank you for all your help.  We have the new computer up and running and are very happy with it.  TBG, especially you, have been instrumental in helping us create a quality computer at a fraction of the cost that buying a new computer would have entailed.  TBG is the best!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The irony of this is that the older monitor was a very good Samsung that accepted the DVI cord and is working just fine.  The newer 22" monitor was VGA only and cannot be used for this new computer.  When you get a deal that's too good to be true....

Again, thank you for all your help.  We have the new computer up and running and are very happy with it.  TBG, especially you, have been instrumental in helping us create a quality computer at a fraction of the cost that buying a new computer would have entailed.  TBG is the best!

Glad you got the monitor situation figured out. So when you tested the older monitor with a DVI cable, it worked fine?

Thanks so much for the positive feedback, by the way! I'd love to feature it on the home page testimonials feed. Would you be willing to share your first name, last initial, and city and/or state?

mercury54

• View Profile
Testimonial use is fine with me.  You helped me worm my way through a tough situation, at least, a tough one for me.

Just to let you know, the 2008 monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 906 BW.  It set up just fine with a DVI cable.  I forgot it had both analog and digital capability.

The newer VGA monitor, a Samsung Version BP01, works just fine with a VGA to HDMI cable, per your suggestion.

We now have dual monitor capability, and I used the other comments from folks to fix the loss of sound when plugging in a second monitor, resetting the audio back to the original speakers in the Playback Devices section of the Audio system.

Again, thanks for your help.  Could not have done it without you.

Name:  Harriet G.
Home:  Rio Rancho, NM

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Testimonial use is fine with me.  You helped me worm my way through a tough situation, at least, a tough one for me.

Just to let you know, the 2008 monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 906 BW.  It set up just fine with a DVI cable.  I forgot it had both analog and digital capability.

The newer VGA monitor, a Samsung Version BP01, works just fine with a VGA to HDMI cable, per your suggestion.

We now have dual monitor capability, and I used the other comments from folks to fix the loss of sound when plugging in a second monitor, resetting the audio back to the original speakers in the Playback Devices section of the Audio system.

Again, thanks for your help.  Could not have done it without you.

Name:  Harriet G.
Home:  Rio Rancho, NM

Great to hear you got all the monitors sorted out. And thanks for providing your name and hometown - your kind feedback is already up on the homepage!