Author Topic: The TBG $3,500 Ultimate Gaming PC Build - Coffee Lake/RTX 2080 Ti  (Read 11559 times)

Synodic_CG

• View Profile
Re: The TBG $3,500 Ultimate Gaming PC Build - Coffee Lake/RTX 2080 Ti
« Reply #90 on: April 12, 2019, 12:18:04 PM »
I'll give that a try, and luckily I got a full refund from the Samsung and ordered another one on Amazon. It's arriving today :) I didn't go with the 4tb SSD after all.

Elo

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2019, 11:51:14 AM »
I'm looking at building this pc with the parts listed. It seems though, that the 2080 ti FTW3 Hybrid Ultra is not in stock anywhere in europe. Can you recommend an alternative?

I do not have much experience with building pc's, the one I have now is another one of your builds from around 4 years ago. Do you have any tips or stuff not listed, that I should be aware of doing assembly? Some things to do after having built the pc and getting it running, like tweaking some settings or stuff?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2019, 12:05:01 PM »
I'm looking at building this pc with the parts listed. It seems though, that the 2080 ti FTW3 Hybrid Ultra is not in stock anywhere in europe. Can you recommend an alternative?

I do not have much experience with building pc's, the one I have now is another one of your builds from around 4 years ago. Do you have any tips or stuff not listed, that I should be aware of doing assembly? Some things to do after having built the pc and getting it running, like tweaking some settings or stuff?

Welcome to the Forum, Elo! And thanks for coming back to TBG after 4 years!

The FTW3 Hybrid Ultra is indeed somewhat rare, in fact it's sold out in the US too, so I have to update the guide with another choice! A very good substitute is the EVGA XC Hybrid.  The cooler is a bit smaller, but it's still amazingly powerful, far better than any air cooler.

Elo

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2019, 12:14:55 PM »
Thanks for your swift reply. I have never tried water cooling before, but I guess there is an advantage in noise level. What other advantage does it offer, and why choose water cooling over fan cooling with this card, for instance why the XC Hybrid over the Ultra with 3 fans? (I notice a difference in the boost clock with one being 1635 MHz and the other being 1755 MHz).

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2019, 12:29:33 PM »
Thanks for your swift reply. I have never tried water cooling before, but I guess there is an advantage in noise level. What other advantage does it offer, and why choose water cooling over fan cooling with this card, for instance why the XC Hybrid over the Ultra with 3 fans? (I notice a difference in the boost clock with one being 1635 MHz and the other being 1755 MHz).

Simply put, the boost speeds that are listed aren't that relevant when comparing liquid to air. Boost is limited whenever you're above 60C, and an air cooler cannot keep a GPU below 70C under load. So the liquid cooled GPU is faster, and will allow better SUSTAINED overclocking. You may be able to dial in a very high clock on an air cooled card, but it's not going to hold that clock for long. It will throttle.

Elo

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »
Thanks again for the help. I have now ordered the parts for this build as your recent update today. Looking forward to building the machine and gaming on it.

Anything I should be aware of while building it or after getting it to run?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2019, 01:25:58 PM »
Thanks again for the help. I have now ordered the parts for this build as your recent update today. Looking forward to building the machine and gaming on it.

Anything I should be aware of while building it or after getting it to run?

You should be fine to start. Install power supply, route cables you'll  need for the build (motherboard, CPU,  GPU), and then proceed with cpu install outside of case. Last step is cooler, potentially difficult just due to needing to handle a lot of parts simultaneously.

Elo

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2019, 03:17:26 PM »
So I got the parts and have assembled the system. It runs fine and is very good. Just one small problem with setting up fans and RGB. I find it difficult to figure out, how to connect the case fans and the 3 radiator fans on the liquid cooler to the MB so RGB functions.

In the back of the case there is a square plate with these switches: M/B-IN 5V DI GND, FAN1, FAN2, FAN3, FAN4, LED OUT 5V DO GND, IO RESET and COM1. With the came 2 front fans that are plugged into FAN1 and FAN2. In the M/B-IN 5V DI GND was a cable, that plugs into the VDG MB Signal Bridge Cable and then into the MB D_LED2 header.

The problem is with the liquid coolers 3 fans and plugging that VDG cable - I can't plug it in anywhere on the above square. So I plugged the cable marked Q in the manual directly into the LED OUT 5V DO GND.

Something must not be correct in this plugging. Right now the front 2 fans are not spinning at all and have no lighting, the 3 liquid cooler fans are spinning but also without lighting.

I can't figure out, how to connect all these cables to the MB and the case square box to get everything working. Does this make any sense and do you know how to install it all (I followed your excellent videos on assembling this pc, but unfortunately, this plugging process was not showed).

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2019, 06:23:22 PM »
So I got the parts and have assembled the system. It runs fine and is very good. Just one small problem with setting up fans and RGB. I find it difficult to figure out, how to connect the case fans and the 3 radiator fans on the liquid cooler to the MB so RGB functions.

In the back of the case there is a square plate with these switches: M/B-IN 5V DI GND, FAN1, FAN2, FAN3, FAN4, LED OUT 5V DO GND, IO RESET and COM1. With the came 2 front fans that are plugged into FAN1 and FAN2. In the M/B-IN 5V DI GND was a cable, that plugs into the VDG MB Signal Bridge Cable and then into the MB D_LED2 header.

The problem is with the liquid coolers 3 fans and plugging that VDG cable - I can't plug it in anywhere on the above square. So I plugged the cable marked Q in the manual directly into the LED OUT 5V DO GND.

Something must not be correct in this plugging. Right now the front 2 fans are not spinning at all and have no lighting, the 3 liquid cooler fans are spinning but also without lighting.

I can't figure out, how to connect all these cables to the MB and the case square box to get everything working. Does this make any sense and do you know how to install it all (I followed your excellent videos on assembling this pc, but unfortunately, this plugging process was not showed).

Can you confirm the case and cooler you're using? If this is all Thermaltake, I have an easy solution.

Elo

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2019, 09:46:19 PM »
Yes, Thermaltake View 71 ARGB and Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 liquid cooler.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2019, 10:07:22 PM »
Yes, Thermaltake View 71 ARGB and Thermaltake Water 3.0 360 liquid cooler.

OK, I can help you with this, as I did essentially the same thing in the Thermaltake build video. You can see a demo of how these lights look in action in my RGB video. I think they look fantastic, if I may say so myself!

So, in short, all that stuff you're talking about in the back of the case should be completely ignored. Do not use the built in hub at all. What you need to do is connect all the Thermaltake ARGB connectors in a series, and then have the last one connect to the motherboard's ARGB header. As for the fan power, you will use separate headers for each of the fans, which provides precise control, rather than using a single fan hub. My assumption is that you were not getting the fans to spin because you hadn't connected SATA power to the hub, but it doesn't really matter, because you shouldn't use the hub anyway.

Elo

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2019, 12:44:10 AM »
It might just be me, but I don't see this being possible. The front case fans have 6 pins - 12V I 5V DO DI GND. There is no 6-pin header on the MB so they can only be plugged into the hub, so that needs connection. The MB does not have a SATA Power header, so I can't connect the hub to the MB?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2019, 07:54:33 AM »
It might just be me, but I don't see this being possible. The front case fans have 6 pins - 12V I 5V DO DI GND. There is no 6-pin header on the MB so they can only be plugged into the hub, so that needs connection. The MB does not have a SATA Power header, so I can't connect the hub to the MB?

Perhaps Thermaltake has changed the cable design for the 140mm ARGB fans, but I doubt it. Yes, it uses a proprietary design, but you should find an adapter in the box to allow the connection of the 5V cable to the motherboard. Check the manual for information on that.

And no, motherboards never have SATA power headers, there's no such thing as that. You would connect it to a SATA power cable from the power supply, so yes, that configuration would work if you want to use the hub instead.

In other words, one way or the other, this will work.

BillyBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2019, 03:44:23 PM »
You would connect it to a SATA power cable from the power supply, so yes, that configuration would work if you want to use the hub instead.

Totally correct. I just installed something like 3 diff generations of thermal take fans in my View 71 case and in fact they all seem to come with different connectors especially for the connection to power. I had one set that had a 4 pin molex to connect to power at PSU and another set that had power connection out of the hub that required a SATA connection.

So  in your case elo..if your lighting hub has a sata connector out of the hub for power..what i i did was this. All fans wired to hub for sure. Then..With your power supply you should have got a a couple SATA cables that you "could" hook up 5 drives with..it has a connector every couple inches. First..Get it connected to one of your PSU sata/peripherals inputs. Then run that  cable from your power supply out the very bottom grommet of your case. The big huge ones. Then if you have lots of wire tucked onto the bottom trough on bottom of case on the backside...lift that out for a moment and just run your sata cable along that trough at bottom and get one of the connectors on it over  near where you need to connect your hub to. Poof theres your power connection for your led lights to PSU.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 05:33:09 PM by BillyBoy »