Author Topic: The TBG $3,500 Ultimate Gaming PC Build - Coffee Lake/RTX 2080 Ti  (Read 3726 times)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The TBG $3,500 Ultimate Gaming PC Build - Coffee Lake/RTX 2080 Ti
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2019, 10:21:03 AM »

What's the best way to check voltage under load? And what stress test do you recomand to test? CPU-Z one is ok?

You can try to use CPU-Z by launching the stress test and then flipping to the first info tab where you can find voltages, but I find the app somewhat unresponsive when it's running the stress test, so it may or may not give good readings. Another option is to load the Gigabyte SIV software, which will allow you to monitor voltages independently of CPU-Z while running the CPU-Z stress test.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2019, 10:24:35 AM »
Is this build compatible with SLI?
What would I need to do to add a second GPU

Welcome to the Forum, SumNeuron!

Yes, you can use SLI in this build. Besides the second card, you would need an NV-Link bridge (not the HB SLI bridge that comes with the motherboard). Specifically, you need a 3-slot model, not a 4-slot model, and to match this build's current motherboard, you can go with the Gigabyte Aorus Bridge.

octtree

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2019, 11:55:46 AM »
I just ordered all the parts! Excited to get everything next week.  I plan to stick with my GTX1080 for now, any tips/pointers to get started?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2019, 02:27:38 PM »
I just ordered all the parts! Excited to get everything next week.  I plan to stick with my GTX1080 for now, any tips/pointers to get started?

Welcome to the Forum, octtree!

The $3,500 build is definitely worth getting excited about!

And yes, I have some pointers - in fact, I have about two hours worth of pointers - check out TBG's brand-new 2019 high-end PC build video series, which uses parts nearly identical to the $3,500 build!

octtree

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2019, 03:27:30 PM »
I ordered off your list, but I'm a little confused about the number of fans.  Does the case come with 3 fans on the front?  But you specify 2 fans on the radiator.  Wouldn't it be more aesthetic with 3 on front and 3 on top?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2019, 04:46:05 PM »
I ordered off your list, but I'm a little confused about the number of fans.  Does the case come with 3 fans on the front?  But you specify 2 fans on the radiator.  Wouldn't it be more aesthetic with 3 on front and 3 on top?

The Thermaltake View 71 only fits two 140mm fans in front, and that's what it comes with. Aesthetically it may look better if you raise one or both, but going with three would require smaller 120mm fans. The choice regarding the liquid cooler is simply a matter of preference. I think sticking with 140mm fans in the system is a better look, and again, that means two fans.

octtree

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2019, 06:05:58 PM »
Build successful!  Yes it looks great with 2 fans on top and 2 in front.  I moved the front fans up a bit to center them.  Super smooth build, no problems.  The only thing Im having trouble with is the software for the motherboard and cpu cooler.  They are terrible!  I cant get the z390 'APP Center' to update all the drivers etc.  So I installed them manually from the site, but it still pops up saying I have updates, annoying.  I also can't get it to run Auto-tune, the screen freezes when the countdown finishes.  I also can't get the CPU cooler RGBs to stay the color I want (BLUE). They keep defaulting back to rainbow color.

If anyone can help with the overclocking, im not very knowledgeable.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2019, 07:37:05 PM »
Build successful!  Yes it looks great with 2 fans on top and 2 in front.  I moved the front fans up a bit to center them.  Super smooth build, no problems.  The only thing Im having trouble with is the software for the motherboard and cpu cooler.  They are terrible!  I cant get the z390 'APP Center' to update all the drivers etc.  So I installed them manually from the site, but it still pops up saying I have updates, annoying.  I also can't get it to run Auto-tune, the screen freezes when the countdown finishes.  I also can't get the CPU cooler RGBs to stay the color I want (BLUE). They keep defaulting back to rainbow color.

If anyone can help with the overclocking, im not very knowledgeable.

Great to hear the build went well. That was fast!

The lights on the fans in the View 71 and the Floe 280mm are designed to be controlled via hardware control boxes, not software. You'll need both boxes since each one can only control the fans and you have five. Once you have those set up, it should be pretty simple to select blue for all your fans.

More info in the thermaltake control box can be found here.

Synodic_CG

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2019, 09:13:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

So I recently bought "THE BEST $3,500 ULTIMATE GAMING PC BUILD - APRIL 2019" PC build, only to find out that the Corsair Vengeance PRO DDR4 3200MHz Ram isn't supported by the motherboard. As of right now my PC is on a boot up cycle with the red light declaring an issue with the Ram. If you look on the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra Memory Support list on their site the Vengeance Pro ID: CMW32GX4m2C300C16 doesn't exist. :(

Please note I am beginner to PC building and was simply hoping for an easy to follow guide. If I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2019, 09:24:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

So I recently bought "THE BEST $3,500 ULTIMATE GAMING PC BUILD - APRIL 2019" PC build, only to find out that the Corsair Vengeance PRO DDR4 3200MHz Ram isn't supported by the motherboard. As of right now my PC is on a boot up cycle with the red light declaring an issue with the Ram. If you look on the Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Ultra Memory Support list on their site the Vengeance Pro ID: CMW32GX4m2C300C16 doesn't exist. :(

Please note I am beginner to PC building and was simply hoping for an easy to follow guide. If I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the Forum, Synodic_CG!

So, the good news is that just because RAM isn't on a motherboard vendor's list doesn't mean it's not supported. In fact, Corsair's Vengeance RAM is the most popular RAM in the world, and hundreds of TBG users have used it on Gigabyte Z390 boards, so I know it works.

A much more likely cause of the RAM error issue is that the RAM isn't fully inserted. This is one of the troubleshooting tips mentioned in TBG's high-end PC assembly guide video series. For your convenience, I'll like to the RAM discussion right here.

Synodic_CG

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2019, 09:29:42 PM »
Hi Ari!

Really appreciate the quick response, it's rare to get that on forums these days. I'll check and get back to you tomorrow.

Cheers!

Synodic_CG

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2019, 07:03:46 PM »
Hey Ari,

Can I add a 4tb Internal Sata SSD instead of the Samsung Pro M.2 or will I need a bigger PSU?

Also found out that the problem was a faulty M.2 SSD and not the RAM.

Cheers!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2019, 08:53:36 PM »
Hey Ari,

Can I add a 4tb Internal Sata SSD instead of the Samsung Pro M.2 or will I need a bigger PSU?

Also found out that the problem was a faulty M.2 SSD and not the RAM.

Cheers!

How did you determine that it was a faulty SSD? It's extremely rare for an SSD to arrive DOA, especially the best SSD on the market, the 970 Pro.

As for the Samsung 860 Evo 4TB SATA drive, which I assume you're referring to given that it's the only 4TB drive on the market, it's a decent mass storage drive. But it's dramatically slower than a 970 Pro 1TB, and certainly isn't a replacement. If you need that much storage, you should still use a PCIe drive for your OS drive. One good option that would free up some room in your budget would be the SX8200 Pro 1TB, if your 970 Pro is indeed faulty.

None of these changes require a bigger power supply, by the way.

Synodic_CG

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2019, 11:46:31 AM »
I determined it was a faulty SSD because my system wouldn't boot into on screen BIOS until it was removed. Plus I got it from Fry's and it was the only one they had and I noticed the box cover was slightly damaged - it seemed like it had been returned. Packaging tape was removed etc.

That being said, during BIOS the P1 M.2 (Placed in the M-P slot) wasn't being recognized so I'm currently storing everything off of a 128gb Sata SSD I had laying around. However, I would love to get the motherboard to recognize the P1 M.2 SSD.

Any tips?

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2019, 11:57:11 AM »
I determined it was a faulty SSD because my system wouldn't boot into on screen BIOS until it was removed. Plus I got it from Fry's and it was the only one they had and I noticed the box cover was slightly damaged - it seemed like it had been returned. Packaging tape was removed etc.

That being said, during BIOS the P1 M.2 (Placed in the M-P slot) wasn't being recognized so I'm currently storing everything off of a 128gb Sata SSD I had laying around. However, I would love to get the motherboard to recognize the P1 M.2 SSD.

Any tips?

Based on what you're describing, I can almost guarantee you there was nothing wrong with the Samsung 950. Luckily, the Crucial P1 you got as a replacement is a very decent drive, so let's get it recognized.

It should work in any slot, but I'd suggest you insert it into the first slot on the board, which is above the video card. Unlike RAM, M.2 drives are very easy to insert into the slot - no extreme force necessary.

You'll want to unplug your SATA drive before booting up, and then look for a PCIe device listed in your UEFI. If you don't see it, shut down and try booting the M.2 drive from the second slot.