Author Topic: Help finding a great looking monitor >100PPI  (Read 308 times)

JimFromAZ

• View Profile
Help finding a great looking monitor >100PPI
« on: June 12, 2017, 12:45:04 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm having a hard time finding a monitor for my new system. 

To set expectations, I use an iphone 6 and 12" macbook.  I think they look great, and that's kind of the standard I had in mind.  The Macbook has 228 PPI and the iphone has 326 PPI.

My current setup really looks like crap.  All the icons, desktop background, etc look grainy.  It's a real disappointment when I sit in front of this computer.  I have two DELL ST2310 monitors.  They have a resolution of 1920x1080.  Which comes out to be about 96 PPI on a 23" screen. 

So for me, I know 228 PPI looks pretty great and 96 PPI looks terrible.  The trouble is most of the monitors I look at are all close to 96 PPI.  What gives?

I looked on Newegg and everything I saw in the 24" range was right around the same PPI as the shitty monitors I already have.  I checked out the TBG monitor guide, and the best 24" monitor, Dell Computer Ultrasharp U2415, (Ultrasharp? Really?) has even less than my shitty monitor, 94 PPI.

My new video card can drive monitors with 4096x2160.  At 24" that would support a monitor with 192 PPI.  This would still be pretty inferior to the Apple screens, but a substantial improvement over what I have.  However, I can't seem to find any product that does that! 

Why are they all the same as my 9 year old shitty monitors?  Am I missing something?

JimFromAZ

• View Profile
Re: Help finding a great looking monitor >100PPI
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 12:53:38 PM »
Found a better one... 
The Dell 24 Ultra HD 4K Monitor | P2415Q has 185 PPI.  Which is no Mackbook, but at least it's over 100 PPI. 

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help finding a great looking monitor >100PPI
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 01:03:18 PM »
Jim,

Here's the thing: you really can't compare a monitor to an iPhone PPI. You hold an iPhone at 6" from your face, you don't do that with a monitor. So a 24" 4K monitor might sound like a good idea in practice, but in reality it's a pretty bad choice for just about anyone.

If you'd like something's that ultra-crisp and actually usable as a PC monitor, I'd suggest you consider the BenQ BL2711U. At 27" and 4K (or 163PPI), it's the highest pixel density I'd ever recommend for a monitor. Remember, it has four times as many pixels as your 1080p monitor on a panel that's just slightly bigger.