Author Topic: Mini ITX build  (Read 433 times)

Zman

• View Profile
Mini ITX build
« on: June 06, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »
Hi Ari,
After suggesting I'd be interested in possibly building a Mini ITX home office machine you mentioned that the Silverstone STX case has been recommended to replace the Antec ISK 110 in the builds.

The reason I was looking at the Antec is that it can be set up in a vertical orientation. The Silverstone cannot correct? I also like the look of the Antec better. If it's truly not worthwhile to pursue a build with that case then I'll forgo it.  If a decent build is still possible I'll be happy to list components/questions.

Z

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mini ITX build
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »
Hi Ari,
After suggesting I'd be interested in possibly building a Mini ITX home office machine you mentioned that the Silverstone STX case has been recommended to replace the Antec ISK 110 in the builds.

The reason I was looking at the Antec is that it can be set up in a vertical orientation. The Silverstone cannot correct? I also like the look of the Antec better. If it's truly not worthwhile to pursue a build with that case then I'll forgo it.  If a decent build is still possible I'll be happy to list components/questions.

Z

You can certainly stand the SilverStone VT02 on its side, but it doesn't include the convenient mount that the ISK110 does. That being said, I stand the ISK110 vertically without even using that mount, just to save a bit of space. You really don't need it for either system.

To expand on my previous comment, the VT02 is cheaper, even once you add the power supply, it's half the size, and it's much, much easier to build in, due to the streamlined power and cabling system of the STX standard. It's simply superior in every possible way for this type of application.

Zman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 10:33:01 AM »
Ok. You convinced me  :)

I didn't realize you can set up the Silverstone vertically. I thought there was a vent that would be blocked.

If I wanted to upgrade to the next level up, an I5, what processor would I be looking at? Still holds true to stick with the Intel cooler for quiet performance?

Thanks!

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 01:46:40 PM »
Ok. You convinced me  :)

I didn't realize you can set up the Silverstone vertically. I thought there was a vent that would be blocked.

If I wanted to upgrade to the next level up, an I5, what processor would I be looking at? Still holds true to stick with the Intel cooler for quiet performance?

Thanks!

Both cases have an exhaust vent on the side, so you're covering it up either way. And no, it won't matter, as the hot air will just go out somewhere else!

If you want to go with a quad-core, the Core i5-7500 is the best choice. It offers plenty of performance at a reasonable cost, and is quite efficient as well.

As much as I'd like to be able to recommend a cooler that's better than the stock Intel model that sticks to the same height limits, I can't. There isn't one I've tested that I think is actually worth the money. That includes both Noctua and SilverStone models. Remember, it can't be even a millimeter taller than the stock heatsink.

Zman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 01:58:51 PM »
Sounds good. 
So the I5 you suggest will plug right into this build then correct? Same system board and such.

I'm guessing an I5 would be a little louder under load. I wonder if the fan management would work well for that processor as well.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »
I use a Core i5 in the Antec ISK 110 build, and it's perfectly fine. You'll want to tune the fan to run at low RPMs under low load, and then to ramp up quickly at a certain threshold, for example 60C.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 10:16:21 PM »
By the way, you should sign up for the latest TBG prize drawing as long as you're visiting the forum - check it out here!

Zman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 01:48:08 PM »
Thanks Ari!