Author Topic: $1,250 gaming build  (Read 2877 times)

brettjenn1

• View Profile
$1,250 gaming build
« on: April 14, 2016, 10:34:49 PM »
My son and I are going to be building a gaming pc for our first time. We have decided to try and do the $1,250 build and had a question about the hard drive. The build recommended 1TB western digital hard drive. We thought about instead buying the 2TB Toshiba hard drive from the $1,000 build costing only about $15 more. Would this be a wise decision? Just figured we couldn't go wrong with have a little extra space for the slight difference in cost. Just wanted to make sure western digital wasn't picked for that particular build for a reason. Thanks for any help. :)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: $1,250 gaming build
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:49:17 AM »
My son and I are going to be building a gaming pc for our first time. We have decided to try and do the $1,250 build and had a question about the hard drive. The build recommended 1TB western digital hard drive. We thought about instead buying the 2TB Toshiba hard drive from the $1,000 build costing only about $15 more. Would this be a wise decision? Just figured we couldn't go wrong with have a little extra space for the slight difference in cost. Just wanted to make sure western digital wasn't picked for that particular build for a reason. Thanks for any help. :)

Great question! Western Digital Blue drives are known for being quieter than average, which is why that drive was picked for the "Quiet Gaming" build. But yes, 2TB is a better value, and in fact 3TB is absolutely the sweet spot in terms of price per GB at this point. The Toshiba 3TB is around $90, for example.

Note that Western Digital's 2TB and 3TB Blue drives actually use a much slower mechanism to maintain low noise, so you may or may not want to consider them based on your preferences.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:59:10 AM by Ari Altman »

brettjenn1

• View Profile
Re: $1,250 gaming build
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 11:58:39 AM »
Thanks for getting back with me. I ended up going with the 2TB Toshiba. I figured the extra TB was worth a little more noise. I didn't think to look at the 3TB. We have the 500GB Samsung SSD, so I'm hoping the 2TB will be plenty. Thanks for the Help and almost all of our parts have arrived. Time for some fun and excitement figuring out how to build this.