Author Topic: Home office Build questions  (Read 549 times)

Zman

• View Profile
Home office Build questions
« on: May 17, 2017, 08:24:58 AM »
Hi Ari,

I have a few questions regarding the home office build using the Zalman T4 case. I'm considering doing two separate builds (not sure yet) for the office and another for our son. 

How is this build on the sound levels? I realize there's a case fan, and whatever fan for the CPU and separate Graphics.  Is it pretty quiet, whooshing air sound?  The side panel is open on the case so was thinking it may be louder.  Do you have suggestions for better fans to add to this build or do you think the standard would suffice? I remember way back in 2003 I had a gaming machine with the Intel processor fan and it sounded like a machine noise instead of just air.

Most likely going to do the Pentium build and possibly one with the graphics card for a little gaming.  If I go with the I5 on one of them are the standard fans still a good option or would it need something a bit better?

Thanks!
Z (joe)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Home office Build questions
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:14:08 AM »
Zman,

I have a number of thoughts for you, but will need to put together some part lists. The Zalman stock fan unfortunately is a bit loud, not surprising given the low price of this case. I'll post back with some thoughts later today. A different case may be the best bet.

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 01:52:34 PM »
All right, so here's the full picture. The Zalman T4 is a fantastic case for around $35. But to hit that pricepoint, Zalman goes with a single 92mm exhaust fan. It is not quiet, based on my hands-on testing, and in my own personal build using this case, I removed it and installed a 120mm top-mounted exhaust fan.

Since silence is an important criteria for you, I strongly suggest you step up to the SilverStone PS12. For about $6 more, you get a similarly-sized case, but one that uses a 120mm intake fan rather than a 92mm exhaust fan. This minor change makes it a whole lot quieter, and provides overall better performance as well, especially in the video card area. Basically, that $6 extra is buying you a better fan, and because this case, like the T4, does not have space for a 120mm rear fan, SilverStone puts it in front, which is fine from my perspective. If you'd like to improve its performance even more, you can mount the excellent Arctic F12 fan to the top of the chassis and get excellent whole-system airflow. You will not need anything better than the stock Intel fan for a Pentium processor. For a Core i5, you could move up to the SilverStone AR08, an excellent mini-tower cooler that will just fit in this case (134mm tall, with a total of 140mm of clearance).

By the way, your choice of video cards in this case, or any microATX case, will be critical, as some will be too large to install. When you have a sense of your budget, you can post that here and I can come up with some video card options for you.

Zman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 09:02:41 AM »
Bummer. I like the look of the Zalman case.

I don't necessarily require silence. If it's the sound of air that's not a problem.  If it's a machine/high pitched sound then that's another story. The Silverstone looks to be a bit of challenge to build if it's anything like the PS08 where you have to have the hard drive in before the motherboard. Wouldn't be fun if you had to go back in actually remove a system board to get at other parts.

As for the video card I was going to use video card that you mention in your office build.

Joe (Zman)

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 10:08:34 AM »
Bummer. I like the look of the Zalman case.

I don't necessarily require silence. If it's the sound of air that's not a problem.  If it's a machine/high pitched sound then that's another story. The Silverstone looks to be a bit of challenge to build if it's anything like the PS08 where you have to have the hard drive in before the motherboard. Wouldn't be fun if you had to go back in actually remove a system board to get at other parts.

As for the video card I was going to use video card that you mention in your office build.

Joe (Zman)

Joe,

There's an easy solution to all this - go with the Zalman case, but remove the 92mm fan just like I did in my personal build. Then add the Arctic F12 PWM fan to the top of the case. It's very easy to install, and will do a lot more for cooling than the 92mm fan, while being virtually silent.

And yes, I agree, the Zalman T4 is easier to work with than the SilverStone PS series, but that's in part because it has fewer hard drive slots (it can hold only two 3.5" drives). Some would consider that a limitation, others would view it as a forward-looking design, as 3.5" drives become a thing of the past.

Zman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 10:50:59 AM »
Excellent..thank you! Definitely an option if I find the supplied fan not to my liking.

Another case I'm looking at is the Thermaltake Versa H15 which "seems" like it could also be a good alternative.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-VERSA-Micro-Gaming-Computer/dp/B01CLIZ698

What are your thoughts on the Thermaltake? It's a few dollars more than the Zalman.
It already has the 120mm fan included.

Joe
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 11:09:39 AM by Ari Altman »

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 11:14:36 AM »
Excellent..thank you! Definitely an option if I find the supplied fan not to my liking.

Another case I'm looking at is the Thermaltake Versa H15 which "seems" like it could also be a good alternative.
https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-VERSA-Micro-Gaming-Computer/dp/B01CLIZ698

What are your thoughts on the Thermaltake? It's a few dollars more than the Zalman.
It already has the 120mm fan included.

Joe

Thermaltake makes great cost-effective cases, and the Versa H15 is a perfect example of that. If you like its style, go for it! The one thing I'd note about it versus the Zalman is that despite being just 5% bigger in volume, it has a far larger footprint. The cool thing about the Zalman (and the reason it must use a small rear fan), is that it's ultra-narrow. This is great for tight spaces where you have plenty of height clearance, but very little floor space, like under a desk.

Zman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
Thanks Ari!
I actually like the Thermaltake better. If the components from the office build drop into that case with no issue  I'll most likely end up going that route. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions  :)

Joe

Zman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2017, 12:45:02 PM »
Ari,
You mentioned the possibility of mounting the 120mm fan at the top of the Zalman case. Looking at the Zalman site I don't see vents at the top of the T4 case.  Were you referring to the older case that you used for your build? The T2? I've actually considered that one as well. The case is turning out to be the toughest part to pick  :-[ I'm not sure I like having the vents at the top but if so I'd probably stick with the Thermaltake as it already has the 120mm at the rear of the case.

Also, the EVGA 450 B1 power supply you suggest in the build is not modular. Do you suggest a step up to keep the wiring cleaner such as a semi modular or for a build such as this it's not necessary?

Thank you,
Joe

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2017, 01:50:52 PM »
Ari,
You mentioned the possibility of mounting the 120mm fan at the top of the Zalman case. Looking at the Zalman site I don't see vents at the top of the T4 case.  Were you referring to the older case that you used for your build? The T2? I've actually considered that one as well. The case is turning out to be the toughest part to pick  :-[ I'm not sure I like having the vents at the top but if so I'd probably stick with the Thermaltake as it already has the 120mm at the rear of the case.

Also, the EVGA 450 B1 power supply you suggest in the build is not modular. Do you suggest a step up to keep the wiring cleaner such as a semi modular or for a build such as this it's not necessary?

Thank you,
Joe

Joe - good catch! Yes, in fact I was referring to the Zalman T2, which I reviewed, and assumed that the T4 had the same vent on top. It does not. I've actually decided to switch the $500 build to a SilverStone case (the PS12) for June, an update that will be pushed out shortly on the site. After thinking more about my experience with the stock Zalman 92mm fan in light of your questions, it occurred to me that I just didn't like it all that much, and that I no longer want to recommend the case for that reason alone. A shame, really, but it's symptom of the ultra-narrow design, which really ends up causing more problems than it solves.

As for power supplies, modular units cost about 50% more than equivalent non-modular units like the 450 B1, so if you're trying to stick to a budget, I don't recommend them. But if you have the extra cash, by all means step up to modular - the brand-new EVGA Supernova 450B3 is the clear choice in that regard.

Zman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 01:52:06 PM »
Well Ari,
We decided to go a different route which may be a little easier in the end.  I'll post in the Home office Mini ITX area. Thinking of doing a home office build using that Antek ISK 110 that you previously featured.

Joe

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 02:32:17 PM »
Well Ari,
We decided to go a different route which may be a little easier in the end.  I'll post in the Home office Mini ITX area. Thinking of doing a home office build using that Antek ISK 110 that you previously featured.

Joe

FYI, having fully reviewed both the Antec ISK110 and the new SilverStone VT02, there's no reason I'd recommend the ISK110. It's obsolete, which is why the VT02 STX system has replaced it in the buyer's guides.

Zman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2017, 11:59:02 AM »
Ah ok. I'll respond in the home office mini ITX forum.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 12:04:54 PM by Zman »

Zman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Today at 07:49:37 AM »
Hi Ari,

Back again and considering this office build. Yet again.
Any chance you can review that Thermaltake Versa H15 that you have selected for the budget gaming pc?  If you recall the Thermaltake was one of the cases I liked. I think it looks nicer than the Silverstone.

Want to confirm if the home office build would drop right into that case with no issues.

I would want to use the I5 -7500 for the build.  (stock cooler should be ok?)
Possibly the Nvidia 1050 TI you suggest, only to have more connection options.
Most likely the modular/semi modular power supply to keep it clean.
An SSD drive and possibly an extra HDD for storage.  The SSD would require an adapter to fit in the drive cage correct?

Z

Ari Altman

• TBG Founder
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Today at 11:17:48 AM »
Hi again, Zman.

The Thermaltake Versa H15 has been around for about a year and a half, and The Tech Buyer's Guru typically only publishes reviews of new cases at this point. That being said, you can definitely go ahead and drop the home office build's components right into this case. No problem at all. Remember, it's a micro-ATX case, so stick with the micro-ATX motherboard recommended in the guide. ATX motherboards will not fit.

As for your upgrades, everything will work fine. Go with the stock cooler on the Core i5-7500, and feel free to drop in the GTX 1050 Ti. But if you really only need it for connections, not serious gaming, you could get the much cheaper Sapphire Radeon RX 550, which is the cheapest model with DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort built in.

By the way, no case adapter is required for SSDs - that was only true of really old cases, but those aren't recommended on this site anymore. ;)